Interview with American MH of Reading....

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by nyrmetros, Dec 10, 2003.

1. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    http://www.firsttouchonline.com/db/dbhahnemann.html

"Understandably keen to add to his four caps for the US, Marcus concedes that it’s a big ask just to get into the squad these days.
    “We have a lot of good goalkeepers in America at the moment, Kasey Kellar, Brad Friedel, now Tim Howard who has come straight into the Manchester United team, playing in Europe, and he’s done great for them.

I’m the fourth one over here and you’re just trying to figure out when you might get a game for the national team! It’s difficult because there are so many good goalkeepers to choose from which is great for us, it keeps us on our toes and it shows how the game is advancing in the States too. Goalkeepers don’t get too many chances, they don’t sub goalkeepers too often, but if there’s an injury you have to step in and you’re the guy and you have to be ready for that because it’s a big responsibility. We’ve got qualifying games coming up and if any of the other guys are missing, hopefully I can wriggle my way into the squad. With the World Cup coming up, it would be great just to be a part of all that.

“I think we are growing as a team from competition to competition. Our young players coming up benefit from the fact that there is more coverage of football. Rupert Murdoch owns Fox Sports in the States so because of that you get the Sky Sports News which you didn’t have when I was growing up, so you get that, three or four games on every week, it lets you keep in touch.

When I was younger, there was nothing. And the MLS is getting better as well, it’s on television, so when kids turn 15, 16, they see there is a career in football instead of just turning to baseball or basketball or American football. Now they’re sticking with soccer and you’re getting more players through, more competition for places and the team improves from that.”