Pre-match: International Friendly: USA vs Mexico; September 6th

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Jul 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #176 manq360, Aug 17, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    Yeah...all of that stuff said about him may be rumors. I don't think anyone but he and his coach know for sure. No one has really challenged Jozy (not that there have been many chances for other players not named Zardes) as for Mikey...his name is BRADLEY after all, and he will be around until he at least achieves breaking previous record.

2. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2...ff-field-challenge-gregg-berhalter-must-solve

3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    And if you gave me the choice between Bradley and Nagbe I'd jump out the window

What proof do you want? Klinsmann didn't start Nagbe. Go look at the lineups. We're not wasting our time.

ok, I went as far as a primitive search and here you go
    https://www.oregonlive.com/timbers/2016/10/darlington_nagbe_reportedly_re.html

4. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1] Bradley would just stand there, mouth agape, huffing and winded, while you cascaded down onto his noggin. Gogorath would immediately say "Did you see that magnificent Mikey? He really stuck it to Excellency! And look how he bleeds for the game!"
    Nagbe would swiftly move out of the way, and then neatly pick your pocket as you cascaded by onto the pavement. Gogorath would immediately say "Look at that wanker Nagbe. He just refuses to bleed for the team! "

[2] That's proof? "Klinsmann didn't start Nagbe"? ........:rolleyes:
    My my has the grasp of proof become the hand of a withered and crippled dotard since the headys days of Wiles, Taylor, and Perelman............
    You want proof that your proof is zero proof? Here's proof ! Klinsmann didn't play Donovan. :coffee:

manq360 repped this.
  5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The store is open. Buy your tickets. You shall have what you want.

6. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Dang, I really had no idea everyone was out on nagbe, and for more than the fact he can't finish...

So the proof is a random article by Parkhurst that rips the entire US operation, and the one time 3 years ago nagbe declined a call up?

I think it's a bit ridiculous how easily you all grab something from years back and cling to it, especially something so opaque. Not a quote from nagbe saying he hates the US federation and won't accept a call up. Just an article by his teammate that the US team has no pride, while not mentioning nagbe, and him refusing a call up.

Tho I guess when people are happy to ignore a Bundesliga starter cuz he was a fringe player on the u20 teams, this shouldn't come as mucb of a surprise.

7. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I think it is the Parkhurst quote plus the fact Parkhurst and Berhalter are tight. Add that on top to the fact that neither Guzan nor Nagbe have been called up. Omar Gonzales was called, but Nagbe isn't? It makes no sense, unless Nagbe is the source of the Parkhurst comments.

Parkhurst must have been pretty shocked (especially since nobody ever calls him up) to even mention it to the press. I would not doubt he told Berhalter the specifics.

This isn't from, "year's back". This is from January.

Declining the call up before just is more evidence that Nagbe is just not motivated to play for the USMNT. We have guys who are motivated and are better and younger.

8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FW: Sargent, Altidore, Morris
    AW: Pulisic, Boyd, Weah, Mueller
    CM: Pomykal, McKennie, Roldan, Morales, EPB
    FB: Cannon, Dest, Hollingshead, A. Robinson
    CB: Long, Brooks, M. Robinson, Zimmerman
    GK: Steffen, Horvath, Turner

9. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Duke,

Nice lineup - even if I don't agree with all of them. Is it fair to assume Yeldin and Holmes are out due to injury?

Aren’t you an advocate of getting USMNT playing time for MLS players so they can transfer? I also think that applies to Yanks Abroad who could use a fresh start:

- horvath should start
    - wood
    - Gall
    - Amon (I think he injured though)

Thoughts?

10. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Years back reference was from the declining of the call up.

I'm all for preferring young players, but Egg and his supporters haven't shown a huge inclination to do so. At the very least, he's keeping some veterans in the team. And, as you likely know, I will do anything to get rid of MB, and to a lesser extent, Trapp. Especially if it's playing a guy who, by all accounts, is a better player in better form.

If MB/Trapp are brought in again, I would hope there is an explanation for Nagbe's omission (ie. if he's pulled a Vela, fine with me, just come out and say it).

11. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought of the factor you're talking about. But this match will happen beyond the transfer window unfortunately.

Did consider promoting to start Horvath to try and boost his perception for Brugge, but it's going to be tough after paying 8 million for Mignloet. Secular praying he gets a move before the window closes.

Maybe do it with Novakovich and add him to the list. If he was named to a roster early it could spark a move. If he stays wake up Reading they are dropping the ball. Come to think of that, I like the idea.

The others are injured or I'm just not that interested in right now.

ceezmad and DHC1 repped this.
  12. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    If Adams is ready for Leipzig in "2-3 weeks" that puts him on the other side of the FIFA window. While you would not expect him to be called because of his injury. if he is ok before, Leipzig might want him to get 30 then 60 minutes in these Friendlies to get him match fit.

13. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn’t risk it.

14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #189 Eleven Bravo, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Revised Roster:

GK: Ethan Horvath, Sean Johnson, Brady Scott

RB: Reggie Cannon, Julian Araujo

CB: Walker Zimmerman, Aaron Long, Miles Robinson, Ventura Alvarado

LB: Sergino Dest, Nick Lima, Antonee Robinson

DM: Alfredo Morales, Christian Cappis, Brandon Servania

M8: Weston McKennie, Darlington Nagbe

10: Paxton Pomykal, Sebastian Lletget

RW: Tyler Boyd, Jordan Morris, Emmanuel Sabbi

FW: Jozy Altidore, Sebastian Soto, Andrija Novakovich

LW: Paul Arriola, Julian Green

Vs Mexico

Arriola———Altidore———Boyd
    ———Lletget——McKennie——
    ——————Morales—————-
    Dest———————————Cannon
    ————-Long—-Zimmerman——-
    ——————-Horvath—————-

CPT: McKennie
    Bench: Johnson, Alvarado (Long) 80, Robinson (Cannon...Dest to RB) 46, Cappis (Morales) 90, Sabbi (Boyd) 70, Green (Lletget) 60, Soto (Altidore) 80

Vs Uruguay
    Boyd———Altidore———Arriola
    ——Pomykal——McKennie——
    —————-Morales—————-
    Lima———————————Dest
    ————-Long——Zimmerman—-
    ——————-Horvath——————

Note: Dest and Lima switch sides at half.

Bench: Johnson, M. Robinson (Long) 80, Araujo (Lima) 90, Servania (Morales) 80, Nagbe (Pomykal) 70, Morris (Arriola) 70, Soto (Altidore) 70

Sent home: A. Robinson, Cappis, Sabbi, Green, Alvarado

CPT: McKennie

Notes: Withholding anyone just coming back from a knock or emerging at their club. Note I did include some YA who might need a shot to stake their claim.

15. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In other words. Brute speculation and a nod to "Trust In Berhalter, Trust, Trust, Trust"...........
    I do not trust the speculation, no more than I trust Berhalter to look at his players with a cool and objective eye. I do trust what Berhalter has done, which so far is to set up the team in whatever Rube Goldberg mode that keeps MIkey on the field.

We hoped for a manager who could show us a path to a team which is a Ferrari, but instead we get someone who once he saw the blueprints for a Fiat has found his one and singular dream.

yurch10 repped this.
  16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    CB's look good. I wouldn't mind calling up Miazga as well and try a 3cb line with Dest and H/head at wingback.

I get the feeling Toronto guys (Jozy and Bradley) will not be called up because they are very close to making or not making playoffs and will miss 2 Toronto games in Sep if they report for the friendlies plus Toronto lost them for a good while in summer for Gold Cup.

It might make sense to call up Soto.

This window is a wild card because players are jockeying for position in Europe with some of them UCL/EL involved and Dallas and Toronto struggling to make playoffs with date conflict on two fixtures.

17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Blame yourselves for not getting on the (one man) bandwagon for Trapp over Bradley. We'd have Adams and Trapp for that position.

Check out Bradley vs. Trapp on these "high"-lites.

First goal Jozy drags defense wide and hits nice square pass to wide open Osorio in the middle. Jozy's game is so much more mature these days.

second goal Trapp with a beaut to hit Santos just paces from the far post for the one touch score. What a pity he hasn't had the chance to hit those against tougher competition.

third goal - a lesson in passing out of the back with 3cb's, plus, how to tell when a cb has aged out.

fourth goal - Jozy has definitely improved his aerial game where it counts the most, on scoring goals.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  18. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    #193 DHC1, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    I was on the bus with you but jumped off around the GC as Trapp played so badly. Now, it’s bradley who’s invisible....still don’t think that either can play when the game speeds up and they aren’t given the space that Trapp took full advantage of in this game.

19. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Dest needs to be called up, obviously. Would like to see Siebatcheu too, if he will accept the call up. Morales and Green deserve a call up. Weah, Sargent, and Nagbe too. Please, no need for Mihailovic, Trapp, Bradley, Omar, Roldan, Zardes, Lovitz, or Ream.

20. coachd24

coachd24 Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Club:
    RC Lens
    This would be great. We know what both can do if GB wants to bring them up for the Nations League, but I hope the focus is on younger players who have had a great summer with their clubs. I think this roster will be highly criticized (as usual with Sept. friendlies) as all of the invites might not be accepted because of players establishing themselves at their club. Three automatic "new" faces should be Sargent, Weah, and Pomykal. Another two I'd like to see are Gall and Morales but less likely. I get the Soto argument but would like to see him get a few more games for Hannover before getting a call-up. With Nations League coming up it'll be a better opportunity to call up uncapped dual nationals against "weaker" opponents in Cuba and Canada.

Marius Tresor and Patrick167 repped this.
  21. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    No JAB?!

Marius Tresor and TOAzer repped this.
  22. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would rest. He’s had such a bad string of injuries that he’s somebody who I don’t want to build the team around anyways.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    If it's true Mexico is bringing their U23 C-team, then just use MLSers on the fringe, no point in wasting our good guys in a molero that is going to be molerísimo.

24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Considering European teams are unlikely to release players for quali's (Next March, I believe?) why not make up a domestic u23 team as well so they get used to each other before quali's.

-------------------soto---toye
    ----------------------yueil
    --------pomykal--servania---parks
    -------?------robinson---glad---cannon
    ------------------gk: Ochoa

Yueil and Parks seem like duplication.
    We need more width. I suppose Reyna is a lost cause. Yow? People like Llanez and I think he's doing well with his youth club team in Germany.
    I added Soto because his contract runs out this year and he could get option to play quali's in his next contract.

Winoman and Suyuntuy repped this.
  25. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I don't think you can sell tickets for $150+ and put the game on Fox or ESPN and send out a domestic U23 team.