Pre-match: International Friendly: USA vs Costa Rica: February 1st

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Dec 30, 2019.

1. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The emergence of Yueill gives GB the excuse he needs to end Trapp's days as a USMNT player... his performance while with the squad should have done that but I will take it. You mention Cappis here... but I am certainly hoping that GB sticks w/ his updated plan to play Adams in a central role. These guys can battle it out for the backup role and for time at other midfield positions but Adams is the man in the middle. Perhaps with Cappis and Yueill backing up Adams we will be saying goodbye to Bradley too?

Regarding Llanez... glad that he is getting a look but am disappointed he won't be with Wolfsburg in training. I watch every Wolfsburg game because of Brooks and that team could use help on O. Was hoping Uly might get a legit look during the 2nd half.... Doesn't look like a good possibility now.... but at least GB will get an extended look. Perhaps he can be persuasive....

wixson7 repped this.
  2. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's happened before, from teams with early preseason starts to prep for Concachampions. This might be the first where the club worded it using language that is more confrontational than cordial, or at least direct instead of indirect.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  3. OlympiquedeMarseille

Apr 18, 2012
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Canada has to win as many friendlies as possible. El Salvador are hiding from friendlies. That is why the #USMNT is playing Costa Rica and not El Salvador.
    Match promoters and the Federation want El Salvador to play but at the same time, El Salvador are too afraid of the FIFA points they may lose and logically want to make the HEX.

wixson7 repped this.
  4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Would the game count considering it is not a FIFA window? I wouldn't think so.

5. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it does, but very very little. Someone posted the points rules recently but I can't find them. I think it was something like 60 points for a Confederation tournament win, 30 for WC Qualifying win, 10 for a friendly and 5 for a game outside a FIFA window. But I may be completely and utterly wrong so hopefully whoever knows the answer, or knows how to find it, will post their correction shortly.

6. OlympiquedeMarseille

Apr 18, 2012
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yes it does.
    Exactly.
    http://img.fifa.com/image/upload/edbm045h0udbwkqew35a.pdf

El Salvador desperately wants to avoid the loss of their 15 point advantage.
    Canada desperately wants points to catch them.

7. ipass

ipass Member

Jan 2, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Double Negative: 10. Yet again, no Acosta.

8. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump it.

-----------------Johnson----------
    Cannon---Long----Zimmerman---????
    ------------Yueill----Roldan-------
    Morris------Lletget----Arriola
    -----------------Zardes---------

Other than another keeper (Hamid, Turner) does anyone doubt the other starters?

9. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too

10. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now there's a group to not get excited about. Not much to watch, not much to learn from.

bsky22 repped this.
  11. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is the way it is with Cupcake friendlies. Costa Rica won’t be exactly gracing the pitch with their best, either.

Dr.Phil repped this.
  12. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    what I don’t like about this lineup is that there’s so many players who are at or past their peak:

- Zimmerman
    - lletget
    - roldan
    - Zardes
    - arriola

I’d like to have at most three of them (making five senior guys including Morris and long) and then give the highest upside guys a run out. Maybe sub one for another so we can see how other subs do as well.

For example, I’d put in miles for Zimmerman even if Zimmerman is a bit better right now. Also Aaronson for roldan.

13. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miles Robinson? ATL did not release him, right?

jnielsen, DHC1 and mike4066 repped this.
  14. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    never mind me, I’m on a roll!

ttrevett repped this.
  15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The way I would look at this

A) we are preparing for the March FIFA window friendlies vs Holland + I other. So, let's start by listing the Euro players who are obvious starters for us

1)Pulisic - we don't have anybody else who can run thru mid with the ball and score/assist like Pulisic. Question? Who is his back up?

2)Adams - obviously playing at high level at the 6. Who in MLS would come closest to replacing what he does should he be injured. That is a hard one. I don't see anybody in camp but Servania was recently added so I'd go with him for 90 minutes.

3) Brooks - passes out of the back. Has shown vulnerability vs. some concacaf opposition. How do we cover that vulnerability if we decide, (as I do) that we must have his passing?

4) Steffen/Horvath - who is GK #3?

The answers:

1) Has looked like Lletget but how about that Aaronsen kid?

2) Servania recently joined camp. I would play him 90'.

3) We just don't have anybody who passes like Brooks but the guy not tested yet at senior level is Glad so I would play him 90

4) Hamid and Johnson are old hat so I"d go Mack + Turner, one half each.

B) So what ab out the positions that are not already iron clad Euro?

1) incredibly, General Egg brought no 8's.It's the usual crap. The reason Egg's Crew teams sucked was that he never understood how to deploy the 8. I don't know what you do here. I'm saying this as a big fan of Pomykal who was sent home to continue dealing with post surgery rehab, as I understand it. So frustrating and we have nobody in Europe. So, it's Roldan, who else?

2) forwards - I believe Llanez went back to Germany so it's same ol-same ol plus Jonathan "one trick pony" Lewis?

I'm getting discouraged so I'll leave it there.

16. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tailgate should be fun.

I’m curious to see the Ticos.

Plenty of our kids to give a run to.

USA!

17. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    That's a lot of words just to remind us all that you don't rate McKennie.

There's a few players who can play the "8" -- McKennie, Morales, Roldan (if you like that sort of thing), Pomykal, Adams (even if better at the 6), Servania (even if better at the 6, and not ready for the USMNT), Cappis (ditto).

truefan420 repped this.
  18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    That's a lot of words just to remind me that you don't rate Morales.

19. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    You mean the guy I listed as #2 on the #8 depth chart? I actually remembered him, so does that mean I rate him better than you?

tomásbernal repped this.
  20. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really is crazy how much he doesn’t seem to rate Wes. You can point to some rough spots in his game but you can do that for anyone. He’s this cycles Jones. Dude is class. It’s not his fault 3G doesn’t play him to his strengths.

I would add that you forgot Holmes.

DHC1 repped this.
  21. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Yeah, I think Holmes could swing an 8. Berhalter doesn't see him there, of course, but valid. I'm sure I missed a few other players as well.

22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Another guy who hates Morales. Why?

23. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven’t seen anyone say anything negative about him. Hell hes been overlooked but he’s still not at Wes level. I’d rank him next to Holmes. Holmes if I wanted more attack out of the 8 or Morales if I want to shut shit down in the middle. The guy that I quoted and you’re talking about literally had him as his number 2 option. Stop trying to deflect from the fact that you clearly have some sort of massive bias against Wes as you literally discredit him every chance you get.

Pulisic should be pushed wide. We should play a 4-3-3.

My middle 3 is Wes-Adams-Holmes/Morales.

If Pomykal can continue to grow he could potentially jump in the mix but I want to see more of him before I go there as CMs in the MLS don’t translate to national level as well as other positions.

Have two attacking outside backs in Dest and AR. Long next to Brooks for his speed.

Personally I’d go with Sarge up top. The other wing would have Morris in the lead but Weah, Gio and Paul fighting for that spot. All 4 bring different skill sets. Tho Morris/Weah are more similar.

24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What makes you rate Wes? What do you see that makes him great in your eyes?

25. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jnielsen and Winoman repped this.