International Champions Cup

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by hotjam2, Apr 12, 2018.

1. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Duffy was interviewed by Neil Morris on his podcast a few weeks ago and he asked her about the situation. She said that it was her understanding that it had been resolved.

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  2. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #52 hotjam2, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    Riley gets screwed, but not badly, 6 players taken away from him, but he gets to keep his vaunted fwds, Williams & McDonald
    https://www.nccourage.com/news_article/show/935250

from other fronts;
    PSG(the Courage 1st opponent) has so far yet to sign anybody notable for their upcoming season. yet let go of 3 experienced players in Delie, Erika & Formiga as well as previously mentioned will not have their younger players due to commitments to their u19 &u20 squads. Most prominently missing, Katato, last season's the 2nd leading scorer in the league

Lyon's Marozsan will be out for months due to a blood cot in her lung.

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  3. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I am disappointed that Maroszan isn't going to be playing, her health and well-being is far more important.

blissett repped this.
  4. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.internationalchampionscup.com/en/women

So, not that many games. This looks like a weird schedule:

July 24
    ICC Women's Exhibition Match:

Manchester City vs PSG 7:00pm KO @Merlo Field

July 26

ICC Women's Semifinals:
    NC Courage vs PSG 6:15pm KO @hard Rock Stadium (Match #1)
    Olympique Lyonnais vs Manchester City 9pm KO @hard Rock Stadium (Match #2)

July 29

ICC Women's Tournament 3rd Place & Final (Final on ESPN2)
    6:15pm KO and 9pm KO (ESPN2) @hard Rock Stadium

What are the predictions?

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Weird? How so? It's just a normal four-team knockout tournament. That format was announced right off the bat.

6. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    PSG are short of players and fitness.
    Lyon are short of fitness. City are slightly better in term.of fitness.

Final Courage v City and Courage win easily as City will collapse by half-time

7. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just ran across this; I've been out of the loop for the past couple months.
    I'm just so accustomed to round-robin play before a 3rd place and final match.
    If they want to limit the matches, why not just have a round-robin event and the team with the most points wins the tourney?

8. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might not be that simple. How many starters will the Courage be missing?

9. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #59 hotjam2, Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    It's kinda weird though that PSG & Man City fly all the way to Portland for that one expo match(about 5000 miles from their homes), then fly back across the country two days later to Miami(3200 miles). What's up with that?

and will the expo game be at least streamlined?
    6-7(Mewis surprisingly doesn't start for the Courage). The Courage only managed a 0-0 tie in their last game after Ellis obliterated them all ready with her early call-ups
    I'll give PSG a pass, as much as I like Echouafni, it's never easy getting used to a new coach(especially his run & gun style) & as previously mentioned, their current roster is thin.

But Lyon is not all that innocent; most their superstars are used to playing all year round(previous summer's; Euros, Olympics, WC)

No Maro? No problem!

besides in a bidding war with Frankfurt for Jackie Groenen, they've just swooped arguably Man City's best player
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44901538

CoachJon repped this.
  10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Fair enough!

For reference, in the men's ICC, every team (no matter how many teams are involved overall) plays only three matches. But that's usually with at least seven or eight teams involved, and usually closer to a dozen. The ICC organizers have said that this women's tournament was a test-run, so expecting more than one game per team might've been a stretch to begin with. (e.g. I'm really glad they're actually doing a third-place match).

Almost every "club friendly tournament" I've seen has only ever been in a knockout format like this - the mobcast/Nestle Cup in Japan, the one Turkish(?) tournament Sky Blue FC went to back in the WPS days, and I think the Toulouse tournament going on soon too. I think it's just a function of the lower-capital investment going into WoSo that means there just usually isn't the investment to give each team as many matches as us fans might like. Knockout tournaments are "faster" than round-robin ones are; if you don't have a third-place match, even a four-team tournament only needs half as much stadium rental time if you do knockout (3 matches) instead of round-robin (6 matches). The ratio gets rapidly smaller as you increase past that.
    The expo match wasn't even part of the original plan. The original plan was for all three Euro teams to come to the US for a "training camp" of sorts before the official ICC matches started. Portland - noticeably the University of Portland Pilots, not the Portland Timbers/Thorns organization - ended up being decided as the host for that training camp. (I bet the Thorns attendance numbers had something to do with it, though.) Then Chelsea backed out of the tournament, and I'm not sure if Lyon is flying to Portland with PSG and Man City, so maybe instead of having a PSG-ManCity-Pilots training camp, PSG and ManCity just decided to have a scrimmage. I highly doubt it will be streamed.

CoachJon repped this.
  11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    By the way, I'll notice that Japanese coach Takakura didn't call Nadeshiko captain Saki Kumagai for Tournament of Nations: this should mean that OL didn't want to release her and that they consider themselves in pre-season already. :coffee:

CoachJon repped this.
  12. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    if we were picky, we could OL are discriminating because they have released Bacha for the u-20 world cup...

blissett repped this.
  13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, as much as it costs me, I will admit that an U-20 World Cup is more important than a glorified friendly tournament, so OL's choice is at least understandable. :cautious:
    But I would have liked to see Kumagai on the pitch at ToN anyway! :devilish:

14. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see. Unfortunately, I don't follow men's club football, only international games, and I only started watching women's football just before the inception of the NWSL. So, I'll admit, my exposure is limited.

For me, the "fun" in watching these types of match ups is to see the top inter-league clubs face off, so I can get a feel for which league fields the best players (and gets the bragging rights).

CoachJon and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  15. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    This PSG team is really weak, they barely have 18 players and many of them are kids. To be fair, they only have themselves to blame as they only have loan returnee and no recruitement done so far. Very poor of them.
    Lyon and City seem nearly at full strength.

16. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Official PSG squad for the season ( in italics not available for the ICC)

Gardiennes
    Endler Christiane
    Kiedrzynek Katarzyna
    Voll Charlotte

Défenseures
    Berglund Emma
    Dudek Paulina
    Lawrence Ashley
    Morroni Perle
    Paredes Irene
    Périsset Eve

Milieux
    Allaoui Kenza
    Baltimore Sandy
    Diallo Aminata
    Geyoro Onema Grace
    Hegerberg Andrine
    Karaoun Inès
    Kergal Léa
    Lahmari Anissa (retour de prêt du Paris FC)

Attaquantes
    Diani Kadidiatou
    Katoto Marie-Antoinette
    Pekel Melike
    Vanmechelen Davinia

CoachJon repped this.
  17. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    it's still good enough for 2 legendary goalkeepers, 6 French with NT experience, along with arguably Canada's best player, Spain's top defender; one half of the Hegerberg sisters & a coach that previously destroyed Ellis;)

18. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    MiLLeNNiuM and CoachJon repped this.
  19. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    CoachJon repped this.
  20. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mewis, Dahlkemper, Dunn, Zerboni, Mathias, Debinha; six out of eleven starters

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  21. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jordyn Huitema is the real deal. She has 11 caps and 2 goals with the Canadian Senior team.

22. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Ummm have you seen her play?
    Her Canadian U17s didn't qualify for the u17 world cup. She was playing on age and really didn't stand but for her stature. Not sure she would even have made our u17s. She's no Jessie Flemming. That kid is the "real deal". Wish we had one like her.

23. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree about Flemming - Get back to me in four years as to whether Huitema turned out to be the real deal or not.

24. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Move to PSG should be very good for her further developement. She's not Castellanos but has huge potential. Having said that she needs also discipline both in technical and mental coaching at pro level (her reckless foul play from youth qualifiers and some earlier match comes to mind - I for one wasn't impressed by her then).Brazilian Geyse situation had some similarity - big youth talent but in her case with difficult character - she went to learn pro ball in Spanish league in Madrid. We will see her at WWC U-20 and if she surpassed her previous limitations (she didn't stay in Madrid an moved to Portugal's Benfica now - dunno if it's good or bad)
    Anyway I do wish Huitema well, as does Sinclair I reckon ;)

25. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #75 Lechus7, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    Canadian FA should send her (Flemming) for a year or two to Japan League (or top Korean club) it worked wonders for Caitlyn Foord ;)