International Champions Cup

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by hotjam2, Apr 12, 2018.

1. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Actually the women's tournament will be help in Miami, FL, not NY. It's just the NY Times reporting it. It was posted in the NWSL forum yesterday right after the article was first published.

An quick summary of what's under the link, for those who stay here on the forums:
    The tournament will be two double-headers - two semi-finals on the 27th, then the 3rd-place and final matches on the 29th.
    The ICC organizing board plans to greatly expand the tournament next year, as they had nearly a dozen of the normal ICC men's teams interested in adding their women's sides to the new women's tournament. They just wanted to start with a four-team tournament as a test run.
    The three Euro teams in this year's tournament will have a training camp in Portland, OR before flying back to the east coast for the tournament. (Not under the link, but tidbit from Twitter: The Portland Thorns should be involved in next year's tournament.)

Obviously not an official Women's CWC, but if this can get a bit more traction than the mobcast Cup did, that would be a great step toward it.

jnielsen and blissett repped this.
  3. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Why do you think they chose Miami? Late July would probably be 90+ degrees with 100% humidity, If they played it in the evening, it would mean loosing the Euro TV audience. Play it during the day, It's 50% chance of thunderstorms or else play through soms pretty sticky weather that will leave you breathless. Is it some Miami Co thats sponsoring this?

jnielsen repped this.
  4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, ICC almost always aims for playing in gigantic stadia... It's infrequent that they play anywhere that holds less than 50k. As to why Miami Gardens in particular, I don't know... The tournament went to Miami Gardens in its first two years, but hasn't been back until this year (and it'll be a big MG schedule - the first two women's matches on the 27th, Bayern vs ManCity men on the 28th, the second two women's matches on the 29th, and ManU vs Real Madrid on the 31st). But having some games in the Southeast is expected since the ICC tries to cover as much of the US as possible with games.

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #5 SiberianThunderT, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    BTW it was apparently confirmed that Chelsea will be with 4th team. I was hoping for someone from a 4th country.... Ah well.

blissett and Lechus7 repped this.
  6. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Would this inaugural edition proves to be successful one in terms of audience both live and TV (and I think that it will) in next year I can see number of foreign clubs making the call. This kind of visibilty it's what intrest and draws club sponsors.

blissett repped this.
  7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    We missed saying it here, but Chelsea was replaced by Lyon for the 2018 edition of the tournament.

And remember how we thought the 2019 edition might have 12 teams? Well, that number is already being bumped up to 16 apparently, mostly by NWSL inclusion:
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...nt-germain-manchester-city-nwsl-20180531.html
    8 foreign teams (including AUS and MEX reps) vs 8 NWSL teams in 4 cities. I think that's really, really ambitious - and probably going to water down how good NWSL looks versus the rest of the world. X-D

Also, we now have an answer to @hotjam2 's earlier question of "Why Miami?" : one of the guys running ICC also owns the NFL team that plays in said stadium. X-D

jnielsen, JanBalk and Lechus7 repped this.
  8. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A 16 team tournament with 8 NWSL teams would be fantastic.

9. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #9 Cliveworshipper, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Let’s see if I got this right...

They chose Miami because of the big stadium to make a big splash the first year...
    In a state that drew 8K for the NWSL finals last fall? And less than 2K for the NCAA final?

And on a short marketing window?

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    My older post that you just quoted was more speculation based on what the ICC generally does, from my view. Nothing I guessed about in that post was said with the intent of making a splash.

In fact, previous posts said that this was going to be a test-run of the idea. They specifically restricted the tournament to just four teams, even when they had far more interest, to keep it small in its first year.

I think, from the newer article I just posted, that picking Miami for the first edition of the women's ICC was simply because of the fact that the Dolphins guy runs the ICC and it "made sense" to have the one-location, four-team event right in his backyard since Miami is the "home location" for the ICC.

As for Florida state being soccer-exhausted at the moment... I can almost guarantee that the big-name Euro squads will be a draw on their own, even if people don't (and maybe especially for people who don't) know the WoSo landscape. They won't be huge attendances like the men's games, but if the Women's FA Cup final can draw 1/2 of what the Men's FA Cup final draws and even half of that ratio translates to the friendlies here in the US, it could pass five digits.

11. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    if I remember the Pride got over 25K for their debut in Orlando, plus the WNT gotten decent crowds around the rest of FL)otherwise they wouldn't be come back to play there)

me thinking too; long suppressed in the machismo world, but only recently given chances, Mexico, Chile & Spain have drawn huge crowds in woso in the last few month's, the same thing could happen in predominantly Latin, Miami

while most Americans wouldn't touch a Miami vacation with a ten foot poll, Euros(who make up 3/4th's of the teams) tend to prefer these 'glamor from another era' type towns. Just don't tell them there's no nude public beaches, lol

12. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's finally the official website for this tourney, looks like it's OL/Man City & Courage/PSG. Looks like the games are going to held in the earlier evening.. At least the late afternoon showers will cool things down, but obviously almost no one;s going to watch it from Europe, since 6 & 9 pm games would be 12 & 3 am
    over in France
    https://www.internationalchampionscup.com/women

though my French is limited to amour, I do believe this article says that PSG has hired the former NT coach who destroyed Ellis last year at the SBC. Should make things interesting
    https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Act...ni-nouvel-entraineur-des-filles-du-psg/910901

Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Interesting to see that they've bumped the SFs up from the 27th to the 26th.

I'm not a big fan of their blurb for the Courage... they mention the 2011 and 2012 titles, but nothing since then? And they don't show the picture of a single player like they do for the other three teams? Geez

Very cool to hear that the final will be on ESPN2!

14. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    what could of been a great opportunity to enhance the women's game, seems to be taken less seriously again.

even though it's on a Sunday, the 9 pm kick off for the championship game, ensure no audience on Euro TV(which would be about 2-3.AM for them) That the final probably be Lyon/PSG pretty much ensures almost no US audience; TV or stadium

the only thing that the Courage got in their favor is that their IN season, otherwise Jill Ellis all of sudden giving Mathias & Zerboni chances(vs China) along as making Dalhkemper, Dunn & Mewis regular starters(plus Debhina will probably play for Brazil) will give NC almost chance to compete as it's regular self

15. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Bizzare to have the weakest team European team PSG v Courage and then City V OL. Would have thought Courage v OL and City v PSG would have made more sense.

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #16 SiberianThunderT, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    All of the men's games are in the evening too. Evening attendance bump (especially in FL) + better US TV audience >> having Euro TV audience

Also, the quick overturn between the SFs and the Final means that who is in the final will have very little effect on in-person attendance as well, since a lot of the ticket sales will have to come from before the SFs happen. Not to mention it's the second match of a double-header, so people who buy tickets early will be banking on just watching good games more than on having "their" team in the final (and if they have a particular team they want to see, they'll get to see the team either way).

It's only bizarre if you assume NC is the weakest team in the field - which I would argue is incorrect - and even if you did assume that, it makes more business/promotional sense to give the US team the best shot at the final (though, as I kinda mention above, it probably is a very minor effect in this particular setup).

CoachJon repped this.
  17. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #17 CoachJon, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    I clicked the "Learn More" button and got the rest of the Blurb including 2016 'ship and 2017 shield. still no player photos, though.

In earlier press releases they said the European teams would be first in Portland, OR for a few days and have exhibition scrimmages there on the 25th. With the first ICC games moved from the 27th to the 26th, that plan looks to be kaput - the geography was untenable, anyway.

I was wondering about Roster Rules. Can Riley add any/all of the national team replacement players and/or some practice players to the roster for the ICC? What about guest players (aka ringers)?

I did see this – 6 subs per game, but subs can only be made a max of three times per match, including half time. Also Rosters can have 30 players.

Here is a recent tweet with promo clip: In other places they are promoting the OL - Man City game as a Champions League Re-Match - could only do that for sure if they met in the semis.

18. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Man City was a bit stronger last year, but Carli Lloyd, Tony Duggan & Lucy Bronze transferred since. They've added Paula Bremer & Nadim, but the former got a season ending injury right away & the later, got deemed into sub role. MC however got at least 10 English NT players. They've just added what in my book is a strong signing, the super fast Belgium winger, Tessa Wulleart.

Lyon is very consistent, they'll use their superstar starting lineup it seems no matter who their playing; they won one game, 20-0, vs a 4th division team in the French Cup playoffs(where lower divisions are allowed to take part)

PSG is the team I know the least about,; their led by their 19 year old sensation, Katato(20 goals this last season) but she got recently injured(dunno her status). They got Canada's Ashley Lawrence, though she didn't seem to have the same spark in the last couple of CA NT games. But get this, they actually beat Lyon in their last game(the finals of the French Cup)

the one con side on all those 3 teams is how will supposedly being OFF season, will effect them?

and of course, the biggest question mark will be the Courage; how many players will Ellis rip apart from the team? and why on earth do they play the games the same day as the TON? if was only a day apart, maybe the NT players could fly back & catch the other tourney

hopefully the Courage get to keep Williams & McDonald upfront, but who's going to feed them the ball when that entire powerhouse midfield is gone?(Zerboni,,Mewis, Dunn & Debhina)

19. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's highlights of the Courage from their last & best game of the season so far, demolishing the Seattle Reign, which on paper, should of been a very strong team themselves. Now if only Ellis doesn't tear this squad up............

20. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the highlight,s it is clear the Seattle defense played poorly; OTOH the Courage were without their best midfielder, Sam Mewis and starting right center back Abby Dahlkemper.
    Ellis is going to take whoever she wants for the tournament of nations TON cup and will ignore the ICC.
    NC will be without starters Dunn, Dahlkemper, Mewis, and Debinha (Brazil) and sub Kawamura (Japan) for the ICC. and possibly Williams and Zerboni.

21. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Why without Kawamura? She hasn't play in JPN WNT for over a year now - due to injury - but Takakura may chose to not call her for ToN as she has her defenders/defensive mid's sorted and is looking more for strikers now.

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  22. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    another brilliant win for the Courage, this time scoring all their 3 goals in 3 minutes against Marta, Alex Morgan & co. The only thing that can stop them now is Jill Ellis!

23. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's a full game replay of Man City vs Lyon in this last season.s CL semis, they'll be playing each other again in the first game of the International Champions Cup; Lyon is a bit more conservative in it's style than both the French men's & women's NT. I think it's cause of their Spanish coach preference to his own country's tiki taka style(though that proved once again a total, utter disaster at the men's WC)

you might have to sign in on facebook to watch

btw...........Lyon once again raided the Bundesliga as they've just announced the signings of two prominent Germans, Caro Simon, a left RB formerly out of Freiburg & Lisa Weiss a GK out of Essen

24. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    ???

25. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France