Increased Costa Living - The Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Ninjatend0, Jan 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    yea those rumors came on strong and fast, will be interesting to see what happens.

2. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Wouldn't be at all surprised if Luiz leaves. Question is then who is our cover? Clark-Salter is still around right? I think he's hurt be he'll be back so maybe he's our coverage.

3. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Rudiger?

4. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Rüdiger isn't leaving though. We would need coverage for Luiz if he departs.

5. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    but not so much in numbers but in position. we would need another central defender that can distribute.

6. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Rüdiger is a decent passer, but nothing compared to DL. I see your point. However getting a CB who is competent as a passer isn't easy. There about as uncommon as can be especially one who would be willing to sit behind AC....

7. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    There's some kid at Bournemouth called Ake....

Ninjatend0 and Blueallthru repped this.
  8. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Net spend past two seasons. Palace!

Man City: €331M
    Man Utd: €291M
    Palace: €85M
    Arsenal: €81M
    Everton: €76M
    Leicester: €64M
    West Ham,Watford: €57M
    WBA:€56M
    Bourn:€50M
    Liverpool,Stoke: €35M
    Chelsea,Burnley:€28M
    Spurs: €22M
    S'oton:€10M
    Newcastle: -€14M
    Swansea: -£21M

Ninjatend0 repped this.
  9. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Totally agree. Kills me we sold him.

10. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Barkley rumors are back.

Not the worst idea if we are sticking to a 3 man midfield. Cost should be low and he can get in with a goal or two.

11. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Not the greatest idea if* we want to push to be an elite club. There are a lot of creative/attacking/scoring midfielders out there. Barkley is certainly one of them.

* I know Roman loves the club but this is a big if.

12. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Lol'ing @ United's net spend

13. ComeOnChelsea

ComeOnChelsea Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm surprised the media hasn't created a Mkhitaryan for Willian swap

14. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd do that in a second

15. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Dortmund don't give a shit if Pulisic is French or American. They won't let him go for cheap.

Blueallthru repped this.
  16. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    My point was more about why Barca chose to buy Dembele over Pulisic. Every club will want to get max dollar for their assets. But Barca won't buy an American player for the price they paid for Dembele simply because he's American.

Cris 09 repped this.
  17. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Says who exactly? If Pulisic somehow shows he’s Messi-tier it doesn’t matter what nationality he is, he will command the same sort of price. And given the sheer marketing power Pulisic would give a team like Barca, being an American, its possible that he is an even more attractive prospect.

18. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Says me, really. And the history of ignoring quality US talent in Europe. Coaches in Europe trust a track record of a French, German, Italian, Spanish player more than an American. It'll take forever, but it'll happen one day and Americans will be treated on equal ground as the rest.

There's a natural bias against American soccer in Europe, that's all.

And no one will be Messi tier. We're very lucky to be living in a time of Ronaldo and Messi, no matter how much I hate them.

Messi has never scored against Chelsea, but this definitely happened.

19. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Also, Pulisic probably isnt going anywhere unless it's a top top club. I honestly would love him here at Chelsea and he would certainly fill a need, but I doubt Conte or Chelsea fancies him.

20. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Interesting perception. Football is pretty indiscriminate when it comes to origins. With such an open market and so many teams there' always someone willing to take a punt.

In looking back the last 20 years or so what elite talent has been overlooked exactly? Goalkeepers are hugely well regarded in Europe but what outfield talent never had a chance?

Donovan had chances and never stepped up. Dempsey was fine for a couple of EPL but not world class. Altidore was an absolute disaster in the epl but really good in Holland. Reyna was given chances in multiple countries and played for clubs right for his level. McBride scored goals but was never big 6 quality. Bradley had a number of euro clubs and again at the level in line with his ability. In none of these cases were bigger clubs conspiring to keep them away, they simply weren't good enough.

As a non American I know my take is different but that is that the US national team always were always better than the sum of their parts. Now living in the US I see a large focus on youth soccer that train the fundamentals and most American players abroad I can think of always played a solid game. What the youth levels here don't seem to focus on (and the same is true in the uk) are things like individual flair. Also the top grade athletes have far more lucrative alternatives in the U.S. so far fewer commit to soccer. Elsewhere soccer is the only money making career and is often committed to at a really early age, all of which pushes forward the elite talent that comes through.

So overall, the reality is there just hasn't been the same pipeline, rather than any collective bias.

Could honestly say English players are perceived even worse abroad given how few ply their trade there but again there's a rational counter in that English players earn bank in England and so are less incentivised to make the switch. That' the driver more than bias.

So whilst a chip on the shoulder is understandable there is no grand conspiracy from clubs/nations that have no reason to conspire. It's simply that the talent hasn't been there.

Pulisic is exciting because he is such a raw talent but that he is already being talked about as one of if not the best us player ever makes my point. He's a mold breaker for the US, there has been no one like him in our generation and the fact he is playing for a top euro club shows that if you have the talent, regardless of nationality you will have chances.

This is certainly a case of ymmv, but having spent decades now in both Europe and the US I see no particular bias against us soccer players and no lack of opportunities there for those good enough to play there.

21. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    No, there really isn't. The US has never produced a top tier level player unlike those countries which have generations of top players across the pitch. Landon Donovan failed at Bayer Leverkusen, any of the American players in the big clubs youth systems have ended up going elsewhere and usually end up at their level.

Pulisic has that potential to be great, but there's so many years ahead that I'm withholding judgement on how he'll turn out.

Yahtzee repped this.
  22. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Idk he fits the model or buying players with sell on value. Conte likely doesn't want him and Chelsea likely doesn't want to pay what it would cost to get him so there's that but I think he'd be a smart buy.

23. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    and there are actually quite a few good young US prospects playing in Europe and specifically Germany right now. clubs are willing to give you a chance if you are good enough i think.

call me crazy but i actually do think Pulisic is deserving of the discussions of getting a top transfer in the next year or two if he wants it. and if chelsea were that location i'd be all for it. he's an upgrade on Willian right now and probably even Pedro (but with a tip of the hat for Pedro's ability to score pretty important long range goals for all of his weaknesses). he'd be a smart buy and i don't really see any reason Conte wouldn't want him. he's a hard worker and has a good attitude.

24. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He likes battle tested. While Pulisic has played in champions league and big games he's still young and can be inconsistent.

25. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    that's perhaps true. however, he's also the first to say if someone is good enough he doesn't care about age etc. Pogba and Christensen being the first two examples. i think it's fair to say he'd evaluate any potential interest in him on it's merit though. and if he decides against he'd probably have a decent reason. probably would also come down to who he'd be up against as far as potential targets go too.