In David We Trust - the de Gea Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Numquam Moribimur, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Darmian on Gigi and Dave: “It’s great to play against David, he is one of the best goalkeepers in the world,” Darmian told Sport360.“Of course it will be difficult to score but we also have a great goalkeeper. They are two of the best goalkeepers in the world and yes, there are similarities between David and Gigi for sure. But I think that Gianluigi Buffon is the best goalkeeper of all time. For me as a defender I feel very lucky to play with them.”

3. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Wanna see DDG get back to looking for the quick delivery if its on - something he was great at under Fergie but was banned from doing under LVG.

exref, J'can, johno and 1 other person repped this.
  4. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  5. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    His kicking has become erratic of late. Needs to do much better.

Ashur and Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  6. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yup. It was god awful against Chelsea. I can't say I'm the most keen watcher of games but it even stood out to me. He missed everyone.

7. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    His overall game has been erratic recently.

Gilma1990 and Chaz Striker repped this.
  8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1383 Ashur, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    By his high standards, it really has. He's obviously being spun by those Real reports again. It has to do a number on him and I'm looking forward to when this matter will be put to bed, one way or another in the summer.
    Just hoping he will not do something that could cost us big in the meantime. He's been right at the border a couple of times in the last 2-3 games.

9. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Agreed. He seems to be lacking attention. Very Barthez-like.

jeff070 repped this.
  10. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    maybe Madrid rumours are affecting him

11. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    He is a shot-stopper. We are not conceding too many chances. Erratic performances are expected.

johno repped this.
  12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have to be. His performance level this season and especially in recent weeks since the rumors started again, has dipped noticeably. Can't be a total coincidence. He is human after all.

13. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This.

Also, It seems as though "small" the hip twinge was real, after all. Even JamesaA could see that Dave's clearances were well below his high standard. The idea that Real Madrid being in his head would affect De Gea's kicking technique is a new one. Sharpness on saves, sure. But not on his clearances.

14. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    o_O

When did I make a single comment about Dave's kicking in recent weeks?

This guy is a whack job.

15. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  16. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Based on his recent play, I'm starting to think Madrid is turning his head again. He just seems uninterested lately. That and I'm getting really sick of his knee down saves. It's a bad habit he needs to get away from.

United 16 repped this.
  17. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    He's always done those knee down and kick saves. It's part of his game.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really love Dave and it would be an annoyance to lose him, especially to Real. But at the same token, I've come to accept that these rumors will not stop until Real get a genuine WC keeper and having to deal with rumors about Dave to Real is not definitely not something I'm ready to deal with every other year or so. Spain, Madrid are his home and his friends, family and woman are all there as well: of course it's going to affect him in some way.
    If Real are really ready to offer us £50-60mil, might as well just take the money and go after an elite replacement (with Oblak being the obvious choice here). Hate losing another one of our top talents to Real of all teams, but since the fax fiasco, there is a feeling it was only a "stay of execution" of sorts, that was always going to end with him going back to Spain.
    Need to sound Oblak out on his interest in a move first as I don't want to go into a situation where there would be a marked drop in quality for us in goal or going thru a period where we settle for average, decent at best options the way we did in the past.

19. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Better not to have a guy who is more concerned about his future than the play at hand. And anyway it's better to have this decided once and for all.

20. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Gotta agree at this point. We need a keeper who can be good with United as his destination club. Oblak, Leno, etc. Saw a bit of this kid Timo Horn as well who looks interesting.

21. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Sell him for 50 mil, invest in the club and youth and get a Sergio Rico.

22. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I have never rated him as highly as others here. I also consider him to have an elevated standing based on him being a shot stopper in a poor but high profile club. I do not like shot stoppers in general as making a ridiculous save only to poorly concede later is an idiotic premise. In a competent defensive side under a defensive manager I do not think he has the concentration required. He has proven this with sloppy play all season. If we can exploit Real Madrid's bizarre infatuation with him we could easily replace him for half or a third of the fee we would receive. We put up with his growing pains when we were a good side and now he is going to pine for Madrid when the situation is reversed? ******** him. Take the world record fee, buy some doughnuts and move on.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  23. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I've heard it all now.

It's one thing to argue that a striker who scores lots of goals has done a poor job because he "fails to facilitate the attack". Mindless, but we know where you stand on that.

But it's quite another thing to be critical of a keeper because he's really good at stopping shots. And even more bizarre is the assertion that you don't like shot stoppers in general. What's next...hating golfers who consistently drop 25-foot putts and pitchers who strike out batters?

If you don't like shot stoppers as keepers then you must have really loved Taibi and Lehman, keepers who have after these years have yet to wipe the butter off their fingers.

Truth is, the overriding imperative of a keeper is to stop shots on goal. If you can't do that you're just not a keeper.

As it happens, not only is De Gea a fantastic shot stopper, his distribution is astonishing. His save on Mata in that 3-3 draw was one of the most incredible individual plays by any United player during the Ferguson era. Most keepers who have ever played the game could never have made that save, but De Gea did and has made dozens of saves that left one with no doubt that we've got one of the top 3 keepers in the world at Old Trafford.

If you prefer to put some extra cash in the Glazers' pockets by selling De Gea and bringing in a cheaper keeper, okay, but that would be stupid. Unless you can think of a way to bring in Neuer any keeper we could possibly bring in would be a significant downgrade from De Gea. If we lose him to Real we'll have to accept that downgrade and hope we can compensate for it by strengthening the back line.

But to wish that we dump De Gea. That's post of the year stuff, amigo.

24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reports of Dave putting his home up for sale will do nothing to quiet down any rumor of his impending departure...

25. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC