In and Out

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Pegasus, Nov 27, 2017.

1. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bring on Mosquito...

2. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    We spoke with Clavijo on Monday. He told us at that time the deal was not close, but admitted interest. Suspect this will eventually happen, but with all MLS paperwork, the Hunt's general method of not commenting until all I's are dotted and T's crossed, it's going to be some time before you get any official confirmation.

And frankly, this is a whole bunch of noise about a player who is a young, largely unknown, off the radar type.

3. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sure, I mean, he only started for Millinarios on their title winning run last season. FCD is likely getting him for half his market value. And he fills FCD's biggest need (Left Mid). So what's there to be excited about?

4. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    Ok, let's play this out. Where's the other teams bidding for his services? Why isn't another South American club from a larger, more important league offering a slightly better deal? Remember, there was a money fight over Colman last year and look how that turned out.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, or won't show up and blow us all away. Just suggesting unless you watch Colombian 1st division soccer on the regular what you really know about this guy is limited to what you read online or what Oscar's interest and push to grab him tells you.

At this point it seems there's a lot of noise over a guy with little pedigree, very young and Dallas seems to be the single team willing to drop $2M on him.

Maybe that says something, maybe not.

(oh, and every source I read tells me his current market value is <$1M, so not sure where you're getting $4M.)

5. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't like "new" pessimistic, no-fun Pete....

6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are seeing his alter ego Hitman. Hitman has always been tough.

7. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    Sorry. Don't forget. I picked this team to win MLS Cup last season. And I did so because I placed a LOT of trust in FC and OP's ability to find and sign quality talent. We know how that turned out (spoiler: 0-fer)

I just can't get excited about Zigler, the Bulgarian or this young Colombian. Until I see them with my own eyes, in this team, in this league, in the summer heat, in this half-full stadium - I can't get excited about how this team is going to be better than last season and keep up with the Jones'.

Oh, and I hate the new kit with a burning passion.

EricSunRa repped this.
  8. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    1st off, 4 million was Millinarios asking price.
    2nd, Millinarios turned down a 2 million dollar offer from Atletico Nacional last year. The fact that FCD is paying less than what Nacional offered, is the main reason fans are pissed off at Millinarios.
    3rd, yes I do in fact watch Colombian matches. I will go out of my way to watch full matches of teams that have players FCD is said to be interested in. In fact, I just finished watching some Santa Tecla matches, simply because FCD is playing them tonight.
    4th, Mosquera has/had 3 years remaining on his contract, and you can bet Millinarios wanted compensation for those years.

Last but not least, I am an optimist at heart. I will continue to be an optimist, and I will continue to bring optimism to these FCD Forum/threads.

9. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No, I hear ya. You actually summed up my feelings exactly in this post. I just want a reason to get excited besides the spring air and being back at Toyota (which will always get me excited).

Hope for the best, always expect the worst with these guys and their lovely owners. #dtid

EricSunRa repped this.
  10. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I am excited that the game against Santa Tecla is being streamed tonight.

11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I thought the first half the team looked lethargic and rusty and no one looked particularly good and the second half they seemed much more intense and everyone looked good.

I was watching Cannon closely and he seemed nervous and tentative at first and no one would pass him the ball for about the first 20-30 minutes. He did grow into the game and seemed to grow as he started getting hacked. Once he got steamed he starting become a menace. He also had to shift from right back to right windshield wiper when the team shifted from the usual 4-2-3-1 to a 3-5-2. He was able to handle the offensive and defensive duties in that role (Hollingshead handle the left spot well too) and has some real wheels that the other team had to cover. He will be up and down as he learns but by the end of the year he may be a force.

The surprise was Hayes. He came on for Gruezo and while his style was different he actually added energy there. The team didn't miss a beat with him there and I wonder whether he may have moved ahead of Ulloa in the pecking order.

One last thought is that Lamah and Tesho started at the winger position and the team seemed to struggle because neither can break down an opponent on the dribble. I got to thinking that with all the new wingers and one more seemingly on the way that this game might have been a final chance for them to stake a claim to a spot on the team. By the end of the game I thought Tesho showed his versatility but Lamah just doesn't fit the way the team needs a winger to play and He doesn't have another position he could play also.

TCS35 repped this.
  12. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Surely Mosquito can't be worse than Lamah. Right? RIGHT?!?

13. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    My thoughts exactly. Hayes looked great, and everything else you said was on point.

TxEx, TCS35 and EricSunRa repped this.
  14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you notice how when Hayes came on Acosta and Diaz played differently? Both of them just float to where space is so whether it's Gruezo staying back more or Hayes making more forward runs they just fill in where the space needs. Acosta also does something that I don't see many mids do and I think why coaches like him better than fans. he covers fullback runs on either side. All the work he did playing right and left back makes him very accountable and comfortable doing that.

TCS35 and El Chico Carmona repped this.
  15. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
  16. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    962423319210397696 is not a valid tweet id

17. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he pulling a Castillo on his team? giggle.

18. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    It should be noted Jon Arnold was tweeting that Mosquera, while here is not a done deal... According to Jon part of his visit was determining if he liked what he saw and Frisco was a place he wanted to come to. so, stand by. Being 30 degrees probably wasn't the most lucky day for him to visit

19. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, hopefully he was told (or knows) that the majority of the season will be pleasant or hot weather.

Also hope someone showed him more of the metroplex than Frisco.

20. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine Oscar and Barrios can explain things to him.

21. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    With Mosquera signed, I’m imagining a dynamic front three with some solid depth.

There are so many reports about how much the transfer fee was, but some news from Colombia mentioned that the deal was very shrewd. Very little upfront $1.7-2M possibly 50-80% rights with performance additions that could bring it to $4M in a year. That sounded to me more like how I imagine the Hunts doing business.

Regardless, this is their biggest move yet. After the disappointment of Colmán last year, I have to hand it to them. I’m not sure if he will adapt or stay healthy, but I’m damn sure excited.

El Chico Carmona repped this.
  22. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    "Players who come into MLS need time to adapt...This is a different league...this is very true for South American players. It just takes time." - Oscar Pareja interview with me prior to the 2016 season.

23. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oscar knows this from personal experience. It's actually the way he came to Dallas as NE gave up him before he adjusted. Now if only Colman can make the adjustment. I'm thinking an end of Wizard of Oz type of gift to him that results in being able to score.

24. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    I've seen enough of Colman to feel confident he's missing an important element. "desire". The guy is simply too happy-go-lucky and never appears to get unhappy with himself for his performances. The coaching staff has alluded to this, without just saying it outright, he's just a kid who likes to play but doesn't possess that next level of mental make up that pushes one's self to get better. Watch him next time, especially after a goof up, the guy looks totally unfazed. Now, initially you could read that as mental strength, but after all this time and meh performances, I believe it reveals the opposite. He's just not made that way.

25. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    After watching him all of 2017, I'm afraid I have to agree.