improve kicking power?

Discussion in 'Player' started by serieAfan89, Feb 3, 2005.

1. serieAfan89

serieAfan89 New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    North Carolina
    Does anybody know any good ways to improve kicking power?

2. soccermainiac2003

soccermainiac2003 New Member

Dec 1, 2003
    work on technique, a coach can proabably help with it

3. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I used to kick realy accurately but not that powerfully.
    Howeva i bought the'really bend it like beckham dvd' to learn how to take free kicks. i practiced for a week and got good, but wen i tried to kick normally i could only bend the ball. :mad:

So i watched pros on tv for like a week, and eventually reaslised i must swing my leg back more and bend it.

now i ve got my accuracy back and i can kick nearly fom goal to goal.

Long story short, - try to swing ur leg back more and bend it bfore u kick it. it helped me :eek:

4. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ill help you out later, but search this forum for similar threads, there should be many.

5. reddevil07

reddevil07 New Member

Jan 20, 2005
    America
    Nice heads up.

6. htafc

htafc New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    England
    sounds good

7. the_13th_redneck

the_13th_redneck BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2002
    Another way is to kick with the ball hitting just above your outside 3 toes.
    Basically nowhere near the big toe.
    If you strike this right, you will be the owner of a cannon shot. Your leg basically doesn't go straight back to front. It actually cuts across your body. And as not as you don't do anything with your foot in terms of adding extra spin, it should fly pretty straight and pretty fast.

8. serieAfan89

serieAfan89 New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    North Carolina
    I'm going to the field with my buds in about 30 minutes...I'll try these out. Thanks guys

9. CC05

CC05 Member

Jul 16, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  10. Javi10

Javi10 New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Studies say that muscle is what makes the big difference, after you have learned a technique the amount of muscle in your thighs will determine most of power.

11. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    with absolutely no science behind my asceration, i would say technique is 70% of the power.

12. nvan_football

nvan_football New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Vancouver,BC,Canada
    Good point, by the way. You can sure build your legs in a gym but these movements will never be equal to the real movements of your legs when you kick the ball.

13. Lehuynhduc

Lehuynhduc New Member

Jan 31, 2005
    This is true. Working on your technique is the fastest way to improve your kicking power. I've seen a lot of players with much stronger legs then mine but have very weak shot. Having a strong leg is one thing, knowing how to make the ball go fast is another thing. Just imagine how you would throw a card (poker card), alot of arm strenght doesn't matter, it's the way you throw it that matters.

14. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    Fair enough. Use the links in astabooty's post, much of the advice contained therein is really good stuff. I vote for the "more technique than power" method. It's all about where you strike the ball, and how fast your foot is moving (and in what direction) when it contacts. Naturally, you have to adjust your body mechanics to properly do these things. I.e. technique.

15. Javi10

Javi10 New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Well, of course technique is very important, but it is very easily reached at its top, and after that the only thing that will make a difference is the muscle growth, this came from a study a few months ago from a Spanish article, here is the link:
    www.elmundo.es/salud/2004/587/1096063218.html

16. Lehuynhduc

Lehuynhduc New Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Well, you're right. But strenght can only gain over time, not over night. The fastest way is to improve your technique. While you're practicing your techniques, your strenght will gain too. But while you're lifting weight in the gym, you're not improving your techniques at all.

And how do you know that you have reached the top of your technique?

17. nvan_football

nvan_football New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Vancouver,BC,Canada
    Heh, I read it even without any clue about Spanish :)
    I completely agree with you, btw.

18. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    It's 95% technique. Just a couple of weeks ago I was unable to kick the ball any further then a 1/3rd of the field. Now I can kick well over half the field.

Here's my little checklist:

1-Look at the ball when you strike it.

2-Strike with your instep. You don't have to approach at an angle, but you do have to lock your ankle and point it to the side somewhat.

3-Most important: You need to take a LONG last stride and place your supporting foot parallel to the ball. A long last step will allow you to swing your kicking leg back properly and naturally.

4-Whatever you do you CAN'T slow down on the approach. Make your approach shorter but you need to keep accelerating as youre approaching the ball.

5-DON'T CLIP THE PITCH WITH YOUR CLEATS.

You need to literally learn how to lunge with your supporting leg right before you kick. That is key.

19. dasoccerplayafosho

Jun 30, 2003
    Utah USA
    ya, I'd say about 75%, I've seen squirly little kids whack it harder than buff guys can

20. cristianoronaldo17

cristianoronaldo17 New Member

Mar 21, 2005
    UC 201, nj
    this guy is telling the truth because my coach taught me some techniques, wat you do is swing ur leg back more and if you want height on the ball what you do is hit the bottom of the ball wit your laces and sort of scoop ur leg up.

21. dﮥnny

dﮥnny New Member

Mar 26, 2005
    US
    Work your abs, thats were you get a lot of power from. Sounds weird, but it is true.

22. serieAfan89

serieAfan89 New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the posts they've helped quite a bit...scored a screamer from 30 yards off a free kick in training:D

One thing a coach helped me with is to leave your leg relaxed in the backswing and then tense it up when it comes in contact with the ball. This actually works

Another thing the guy said was to follow through, especially on bending shots. This makes the shot more accurate and puts more bend on it.

23. cody_kiziak

cody_kiziak New Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Canada
    i used to have a weak kick but i was told to start kicking a basketball and now my kick is really hard and yah use a basketball it really works make sure the ball is pumped up though cuz there is no point kicking and empty ball

24. nvan_football

nvan_football New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Vancouver,BC,Canada
    I started putting my old crappy adidas finale sportivo under water for 30 min before I went out to kick the ball around. It becomes damn heavy and yeah I would say it improved my kicking power a bit.