Important Usa cities without a professional soccer team

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by napolisoccer, Jun 20, 2017.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did a search and didn't find a definition of a CSA. For radio markets, the terms are MSA and TSA (total survey area). I live in Nassau-Suffolk, which is unique in that the MSA and TSA are the same because Nassau-Suffolk only borders New York City and water. TV markets are larger than radio markets. TV markets combine Hartford and New Haven which are separate radio markets. Providence and Boston reminds me of a story when the New England Patriots were playing on ESPN. The NFL has a rule that all games must be on broadcast in both teams' markets. The initial announcement was that the game would be on broadcast in Boston but not Providence. After complaints, I think it was on broadcast in Providence.

2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    CSA is a U.S. Census Bureau term: Combined Statistical Area

Combined Statistical Area (CSA)
    A Combined Statistical Area (CSA) is a grouping of adjacent metropolitan and/or micropolitan statistical areas in the United States and Puerto Rico. The United States Office of Management and Budget defines combined statistical areas based on social and economic ties measured by commuting patterns between adjacent Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs). The areas that combine retain their own designations as metropolitan or micropolitan statistical areas within the larger combined statistical area. The primary distinguishing factor between a CSA and an MSA is that the social and economic ties between the individual MSAs within a CSA are at lower levels than between the counties within an MSA. CSAs represent multiple metropolitan or micropolitan areas that have a moderate degree of employment interchange. CSAs often represent regions with overlapping labor and media markets.

Wikipedia has a good sortable list of CSAs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_statistical_area

A good example of how this works is the New York-Newark CSA.

It combines all these MSAs:
    New York-Newark-Jersey City MSA
    Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT MSA
    New Haven-Milford, CT MSA
    Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA MSA
    Trenton, NJ MSA
    Torrington, NJ MSA
    Kingston, NY MSA
    East Stroudsburg, PA MSA

That encompasses almost 24 million people.

BTW, I'm not sure what MSA you are using for Nassau-Suffolk when you say it is the same as your TSA. That area is part of the New York-Newark-Jersey City Metropolitan Statistical Area in U.S. Census terms.

3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #28 EvanJ, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    I was using Nassau-Suffolk as its MSA and TSA. For radio markets, Nassau-Suffolk, Stamford-Norwalk (CT), and Middlesex-Somerset-Union (NJ) are their own markets and embedded in New York. If the census makes all the places you listed an MSA but not Nassau-Suffolk, that's ridiculous. :mad: Nassau-Suffolk is the biggest suburban radio market by population, and possibly the area of the country that's most neglected in terms of not being considered separate from a city when it should be. To give a sense of how big Nassau-Suffolk is, the three next biggest and three next smallest radio markets are San Diego, Denver-Boulder, Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, Baltimore, St. Louis, and Portland. TV markets include more area than radio markets, which is understandable because places like Nassau-Suffolk have their own radio stations but not their own affiliates of broadcast TV, but the census CSA is even bigger than the New York TV market. I feel sorry for somebody who commutes to New York City from Allentown, New Haven, or Kingston. Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton and Trenton should be grouped with Philadelphia, Kingston should be grouped with Albany, and New Haven-Milford should be grouped with Hartford. New Haven is closer to the Rhode Island border than to Manhattan. Do you mean Torrington, CT? Google Maps didn't find Torrington, NJ. It would be interesting to survey people by town and see what towns had a majority of residents consider themselves to live in a suburb of New York City.

4. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yes. Torrington, CT. My mistake on that.

The Census Bureau does what they do.Sometimes it makes sense, sometimes it does not.

5. Practicemakesperfect

Liverpool
    United States
    Sep 8, 2017
  6. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    There is a group with a NASL franchise set to start next year in San Diego. The status of that league is uncertain but they say they will be playing in some league.

7. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other thing to remember is the SoccerCity development isn't completely dead yet. There should be a vote on the November '18 ballot. Part of the proposal is that the whole deal is null and void if MLS does not award a franchise within a certain time frame, so I wouldn't expect the developers to keep going without some pretty strong assurances from MLS.

Personally I would put it's chances of passing at better than 50/50. The initiative was polling well and has the support of the mayor. The City council voted against a special election but that had as much or more to do with a change in San Diego voting as it did with the proposal. The key will be if there is an actual viable rival plan. One of the tactics used by the opposition was to claim it was a backroom deal that was being rushed through before people had a chance to come up with better alternatives. If we actually live in a functioning Democracy then that criticism shouldn't still be viable 18 months after the Chargers left. But we'll see.

8. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well in an article written in The Athletic, the writer says that if the situation in LA doesn't improve the NFL might force the Chargers back to San Diego.

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, not likely.

The one article I saw was based on a radio interview with one guy who said he could see the league supporting that. But not after one game.

And not when Spanos would then get back the relocation fee ($645M over 9 years) that went to the other owners.

Please. It's been one game. The goal has always been 2019 when the new place opens.

10. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As ken pointed out the relocation fee is the real sticking point. There is no way Spanos moves back AND still pays a relocation fee. So the only way he would even consider it is if the league forgave it. Which is pretty unlikely, rich guys aren't big fans of giving money back.

So basically the Chargers aren't coming home, which still makes San Diego a good MLS market.

Well now it's been two, and the first games were the Chargers best hope. If people aren't willing to support the team when they were a fresh novelty they aren't going to come out when they're out of the playoffs at the end of October (please let it be so). Plus the 49ers have shown you need more than just a fancy new stadium to draw fans. Finally they are still behind the Rams in the market, who were selling out when they came home last year, and are still getting twice the attendance in a shittier stadium.

The Chargers best hope is (was?) to be a winner out of the gates. Doesn't look like it's happening and they risk being a franchise without a fan base. Not that it matters to Spanos's bottom line, he already sold out the season tickets and guessing it's the same with the luxury suites. It's just the optics are bad. Don't think that'll be enough but... I think there is a chance.

The problem is all this talk is giving hope to Chargers fans and might be enough to convince them to block FSI's, or anyone else's plans for a smaller stadium on the site.

11. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were talking about the Chargers topic on PTI with Steve Young and they all were in agreement the NFL should make them move back but I don't think that's going to happen.