IMPORTANT: Check goals before EVERY match...

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Tarheel Ref, May 11, 2007.

1. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    This afternoon I have a girls high school game on a field that overlaps a baseball diamond infield. This is a pic of one of the corner flags from a game I did there a couple of weeks ago.

flag.GIF

dadman repped this.
  2. That Cherokee

That Cherokee Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    In Oklahoma weight lifting weights are usually pace on top of the flag base to help hold them down

3. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Trick for Georgia: Explain to somebody at the field that they're supposed to put sand in those bases.

4. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
  5. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
  6. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    I looked at Google Street View and saw that the International Indoor Soccer Complex has outdoor fields as well. In the picture the goals appear placed rather haphazardly around the outside of the Complex. I'm guessing it didn't happen around a game, but at a field that wasn't being used at the time and the goals weren't secured. Sad.

7. chaoslord08

chaoslord08 Member

Dec 24, 2006
    Fayetteville AR
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like it happened on a field that just had a game finish.

From the article:

Estefania Ponce, 17, a Springfield High School junior, said she, her sister, Guadalupe Ponce, and the girl's mother — Erika Karina Rodriguez, 22, of Springfield — were at the complex for a family soccer game. The girl's father, Manuel Espinoza, also of Springfield, did not attend the game.

"It was perfectly fine, there was wind but not much when they were playing," Estefania Ponce recalled of the weather prior to the post falling.

When the game finished, children in the family rushed onto the field to play, Estefania Ponce said.

"It was something they would always do," she said. "We never really thought the metal soccer goal would fall."

The family, she said, was in disbelief when it toppled onto the toddler.

“She went to be a goalie,” Guadalupe Ponce recalled. “When we looked back, she wasn’t there. She was laying on the ground, and I ran towards her, and I just brought her in my arms.”

8. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Just damn. :cry:

SouthernYank and Law5 repped this.
  9. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Local NPSL team held a rather (okay really) moving tribute before the match this past weekend. All players from both teams held balloons with Melanie's name written and released them after a minutes silence.

dadman and cmonref repped this.
  10. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    I'm obsessive about my goals. I can't imagine being responsible for them and someone getting hurt or killed. This is terribly sad.

We've had tons of rain here lately and this past weekend our Ulittles goals were anchored with stakes. I insisted on extra stakes, because the four in each goal weren't enough in my opinion. The tourney director was all *hassle*. I responded with *IKR?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????!!!!????!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!!!!?!?!!!!!*

11. wh1s+1eR

wh1s+1eR Member

Apr 23, 2017
    ok, this not goal and death story.

Where to stand goal when wide of line not same as goal?

My buddy place middle of line, one buddy say front of line. I stand goal to back of line. This goal 2" wide 4" rectangle, line of goal is 5" minimum (grass field, difuse). For player, they say, no problem. But something not right. Super look at me when ask, his eye tell me, my problem to know. I tell I know, but no language in lawbook. Always I stand goal with back of line, so ball cross I see proper. This first time I same team as buddy, they make pain in neck to me (we good buddys).

12. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    #262 Bubba Atlanta, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Correct. Back of goal post = back of goal line.

Nothing in the current LOTG that makes that clear is jumping out at me. In fact, this statement: "A goal must be placed on the centre of each goal line" ... is at least potentially misleading in that respect. It means the center of the length of the goal line, not the width.

And this statement is not helpful either: "The position of the goalposts in relation to the goal line must be in accordance with the graphics" ... because the graphics don't address this issue in any way that is readily discernible to me.

Law 1 also says "The goal lines must be of the same width as the goalposts and the
    crossbar," but it doesn't offer any advice on what to do when they are not. Maybe this is still one of those things that we all "just know," or with respect to which common sense should prevail.

EDIT: The NFHS rules contemplate a less-than-ideal world. Rule 1.4.1 says "The rear of each goal post shall be on the outer edge of the goal line." And Play Ruling 1.4.1.A says:

13. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    The LOTG don't say much about what to do if you are ignoring their mandates . . . the ATR did address the issue:
    And it is the only thing that makes sense, as the only part of the goal line that has any relevance whatsoever is the outer edge.

dadman, IASocFan, ArgylleRef and 2 others repped this.
  14. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I thought I remembered something in the ATR, but I couldn't find it in the only edition I had to hand.

15. wh1s+1eR

wh1s+1eR Member

Apr 23, 2017
    I thank much reply by all.
    Stand back of goal same as line on field best way, that very good.
    I know LOTG is lawbook, What is ATR? Can find me where please someone.

16. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    It's the old USSF Advice to Referees, a fairly comprehensive (and occasionally controversial) book of interpretations and guidance on the Laws. Now obsolete, superseded by the new Laws, and no longer published. But I bet if you google USSF Advice to Referees you will find a copy somewhere. No longer official guidance, but certainly food for thought (including the occasional nugget that now we "just know").

dadman repped this.
  17. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    I always shudder when I see this thread highlighted with a new entry.

Doug the Ref and TimB4Last repped this.
  19. Schlager

Schlager Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Agree. All four legs of the goals are in cement at my home park. The parents let the kids climb on them like a jungle gym, and I always yell at them (and get funny looks from the parents, but I don't care). The kids will get in the habit of doing that and I am afraid of what will happen when they go to the park down the street where the goals are just held down with sandbags and weights -- that may or may not be positioned correctly.

20. RespectTheGame

May 6, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  21. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen it happen a few times before some adult league games when youth practice is winding down. The goals are only anchored by a few sandbags too.

22. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Years ago, I was out to mentor a referee on a recreational youth game. Game at a high school. Bored goalkeeper jumps up and grabs the crossbar. The goal came over. Fortunately, the goalkeeper had let go and was only trapped in the net like a fish. I called the school's athletic director and they ensured that the goals were staked down after that. I was on the school board at the time, so the AD had to act. :)

IASocFan repped this.
  23. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Our city has a couple of artificial turf fields. They used to have goals that needed sand bags, but the bags seemed to wander off. They bought new goals that are supposed to be safe without staking them down, but I've heard they are looking into ways of anchoring them to the ground for added safety.

Sunday I had to chastise an adult league keeper for doing pull-ups on the goal. The positive side is that the goal appeared very stable. The negative is that it's hard on the goals and leads to people thinking they can do that on all kinds of goals.

24. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen goals blow over. I've seen goals carried away like a sail in the wind. All situations the result of referees and other folks who did not ensure goals were secured.

About 20 years ago a coach in my town moved one goal to midfield for a half-field scrimmage. Didn't bring the sandbags. Net toppled in the wind and a G14 player went down with a broken leg. The family had several kids who never had to pay a registration fee thereafter. Relatively happy ending.

Same time frame, another town in the league had a B19 player goofing around on a Friday night. Goal comes over and kills the kid. No trespassing, yadiyadiyada.

Bottom line, caring adults can prevent shit happening most of the time.

25. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    when i think about goal design and these tragedies, i think about the fact that goals, as they rotate forward, actually accelerate on their way down. the weight of the back, as it becomes more vertical, applies less and less resistance to the falling crossbar. since the falling goal rotates about the goal line, the back bar might actually add to the force of the impact.

there must be a way to reduce the weight of the crossbar, and/or design the goal such that counter weight remains relevant as the crossbar is falling.

i've thought about this some but have never taken any steps to actually develop something. i can't help but think that there is, with modern materials, a cheaper, lighter way to make a goal than steel or aluminum, and design it such that the crossbar decelerates, not accelerates, as it hits the ground.

Doug the Ref and msilverstein47 repped this.