News: Impact Sub - OGS The New Gaffer Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Dec 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Well said bro.

jnielsen and JC7rox repped this.
  2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The big worry is that it wont get fixed anytime soon though because the problem isnt just lack of talent or lack of a decent manager, its an club problem from the very top. People like that are harder to remove.

Amdrag, Anonymous_United and jnielsen repped this.
  3. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    ..and dont die early either..

4. Pulp

Pulp Member+

Feb 13, 2013
    TO / CA
    Yeah, for us. It was a bit tongue-in-cheek, tbh. I'm firmly in the camp that a new manager won't solve our problems.

JC7 is right in saying that it's a cycle. Eventually the pendulum will swing our way again, because we have too much money for it not to. However, I have major, major concerns about the way the club is being run. Like most everybody here, I am worried that we will never get it right so long as the people who run the show are still employed by MUFC.

jnielsen and Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Ole the right man at the wrong job?

https://en.as.com/en/2019/10/03/football/1570110925_351530.html

Still want to see if he can successfully get himself out of the hole we're in at the moment (particularly with no ideal replacement readily available). But there are some worrying trends that are starting to pop up concerning his ability to lead United as its manager. He clearly is trying to build something and has the passion for it, there is no denying it but ultimately it just might not be enough.
    Don't know about his capabilities in an executive role, but it might be something he's suited to on some level. And if the club is not going to hire the top of the line guy needed for the DoF spot, it might be worth giving him a look in that capacity (although Butt would still be the guy I would go with, if we were staying in house).
    In the meantime, let's see how he does in the months ahead.

6. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Whoever we decide is in charge of the rebuild needs to be given time, but it’s clear Ole isn’t the guy. He was hired on impulse, was never the right guy, and now it’s showing. If he wasn’t a club legend he’d be getting crucified. Not sure where we go now.

To me it’s either give Ole the year despite how disastrous it will be and start talks with Poch right away so by summer he ready to go. Or make the move even earlier on someone like Allegri in January. I really just have zero faith in Ole. Again, he isn’t the biggest problem at our club but he’s not good enough to paper over the cracks.

7. Radbennie

Radbennie Member

Dec 30, 2005
    New Zealand
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My concern is not understanding this new brand of football being promised, it's been 8 months now and I see no philosophy / identity.

What the hell do we do now? We can't seem to go along the route of changing managers every year because that's not the solution.

Depressing times ahead until we change from the very top, or the Glazers sell.

LA. MAN UNITED repped this.
  8. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #708 Sofabloke, Oct 3, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Doesnt make good reading plus we are away again on Sunday.

For me our fate for this season was sealed when we didn't sign any midfielders.

The Jan window is a bust and although we need plenty it is already too late - so panic buying in Jan will just waste our clearly limited (but shouldnt be so) funds.

Ole has to shoulder the blame too. This team is less than the sum of its insufficient parts and that has to be on him. For me we have to stick with him for a while though.

1179832593459683330 is not a valid tweet id

9. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ole is already starting to show cracks. Saying that a draw away to AZ where we didn’t get a single shot on goal was a good display? Gtfo with that garbage. Just saying that tells me he doesn’t have what it takes. That mindset should never be ok. Can you imagine Fergie saying that was a good result?

Ole also went on to blame the refs. He’s starting with the excuses at an early stage. It’s the same routine we saw from Jose.

Amdrag repped this.
  10. yikchi

yikchi Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    Garden State
    There a lot of issue but what's with Ole's formation and tactic.
    Why stick with a 4-2-3-1 all the time when we don't have a #10 and what exactly is he doing tactically. We played enough matches this season for him to settle on some sort of plan or patter of play.
    We aren't scoring goals, we aren't keeping the ball, we aren't pressing high, we aren't defending deep and quick counter.

The player looks like they are playing pickup ball the last 2 matches.

When he first took over, he was switching between a diamond mid and a 4231 depending on the opponent. Now they just stick players into a 4231 and hope for the best... wtf.

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This in a nutshell is the main problem (ie not sure we can fully have it both ways from any manager while Ed is still in charge)

Anonymous_United and United 16 repped this.
  13. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Like I said in the match thread, Ole is over-elaborating and you cant do that with young players.

They have enough to learn to play their natural positions at this level.

14. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    I would give Ole the whole season, the squad is not top 4 material including DeGea Pogs ..

15. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Top 4? Hahaha. We won’t finish top 6.

Amdrag repped this.
  16. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    I swear i meant top 6 .. Bit of a typo but on current form we look like a championship promoted team..

17. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am not in the Ole out camp yet, but he has to start changing some things given we are stuck with this squad, specifically;

- 4-2-3-1 doesn't suit this squad, we don't have an effective #10 and we don't have two CMs would can play in just a pair; Pogs, McT, Fred, Matic have to be played in a midfield 3 (ie 4-3-3 or 3-5-2)

- probably too late to go 3-5-2 but is probably best system to cover our lack of good enough CMs to play as a pair and lack of a striker who can lead the line on his own

- given we didn't buy a #6 so have to look to some youth, wtf is Garner not getting a proper chance to make the first team?

- he needs to stop over-thinking / over-elaborating, with youth players making the step up he has to play them in their natural positions, having Dan James as striker with Mason out wide the other night is a prime example

- we look like we don't practice set-pieces, like ever - those responsible for taking the set-pieces should be in for extra training until they can at least provide semi-competent deliveries, this s&&t has been going on far too long

- Ole was apparently trying to get a message on about watching out for Newcastle countering on us during our set-pieces, why were we not prepared for this? teams have been doing this for months, Carrick should be spending more time with the likes of Fred / McT about performing the role

- on the above, if we are not prepared to start looking at Garner and we do switch to a 4-3-3 we need to look to repurposing one of the CBs to play either #6 in a 4-3-3 or middle CB in a 3-5-2

- needs to have a long hard think about why we are getting so many injuries, needs to change the training and / or consider changing the fitness coaches

In any case, he needs to start changing something - insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 and jnielsen repped this.
  18. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He actually said this?? [emoji15]

1180897542030147584 is not a valid tweet id

19. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Come on mate, you've been reposting twitter for years. That's as fake as it comes.

J'can repped this.
  20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...jaers-manchester-united-reign-came-end-could/

While it is understood that in order to truly get us back on track, a change of the general structure of the club is required (with the appointment of a DoF with real power and authority), a change in the managerial spot is something we might have to start considering soon unfortunately.
    The reasons for it are not limited to this seasons' performance but going back to March when Ole was given the job permanently. where It has been all downhill since, following a superb start. The summer brought some hope with Ole trying to remove as much of the deadwood as he could and the sense that he was actually trying to implement a viable approach in terms of the style of play.
    Yet, here we are now in October and that looks to be all but gone, with the play as bad (and even possibly even worst) than anything we've since SAF stepped down for the 2 games running against lower type oppo. Injuries have not helped but it seems pretty evident that the issues now go deeper than that and it looks like the job is too much for Ole at this point (with him persisting with what is not working, be it personnel wise or tactically).
    The question is who should we look into getting next. And as far as I'm concerned, still maintain that there are 2 candidates who would be ideal: Poch and ten Hag. Either choice are a perfect fit when it comes to the ethos and traditions of the club, in regards to a progressive style of play and the willingness to turn to players from the youth setup. The obvious issue is that neither is available at this time, which would delay us having a real shot at them until the summer (unless something unforeseen happens, as could be the case with Poch in particular given his own struggles currently). I like Allegri as well, but he's not the type of manager that would fit United. And getting him would be like getting Mourinho all over again. He's a good coach, who could stabilize things for a short while at least. But he is a very conservative coach in his approach and he's not really known for his ability to blood young players either.
    The best outcome at this time is still for Ole to be able to course correct in the coming weeks, starting with a setup change to a 4-3-3, which should help get the best of the players we have. As much as I want to believe in Ole, what we've seen recently just makes it increasingly difficult to think he is the guy to take us forward either.
    And if Ole were to get the sack soon, we probably would have to turn to a temporary solution and who could we turn to for that: Nicky Butt perhaps? If our slide persists much longer, the club simply can not sit idly by and do nothing though and a change will have to be made.

22. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I said when we hired him for the temporary job that he was a good pick because 1) he would help cleanse the toxicity of Mou and 2) his short resume meant he wouldn't stand in the way of us making the necessary big-picture changes: getting in a DoF, setting a core footballing philosophy, and then making a good hire at manager who suits that philosophy but is not single-handedly setting the footballing agenda at the club.

I feel for Ole because I really think he's been sold short by the club's utter failures with respect to item 2. He did his bit getting the spirit back in the troops and bringing a bit of light into what had become a dark situation. But hiring the manager of Molde and giving him free reign to do whatever he wanted with Manchester United because he had a couple months of quite fortunate (and this is not hindsight, was pretty easy to see at the time; all the stats guys were calling it out and taking shit about it) good results was always going to be a bad choice.

I'm not sure what the way forward is because, on the one hand, I don't like the job Ole is doing at all. And frankly, he probably just isn't that good a manager - there really isn't any item on his CV that would make you think that he is other than a short period last season aided by a new-manager bounce and, as I said, some fortunate results making it look even more substantial.

On the other hand, it's hard to see where firing him gets you. Maybe another new manager bounce gets us back in the top-4; certainly it doesn't seem any of our competition are threatening to run away with it. But the big picture item still remains exactly what it was when we hired Ole and bringing in a new guy and letting him set a completely new agenda when six weeks ago the club were all-in on Ole ball is pretty much the epitome of the failures that have gotten us here.

23. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We are having to speculate on the specifics of what Ole wanted / was promised vs what he got in the summer transfer window - so always interesting when a bit of detail comes out.

So wonder which striker presumably who was the 'right one' it was the club didn't manage to quite get over the line?

https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/05/ole-...st-signed-replacement-romelu-lukaku-10868033/

24. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I would guess he's referencing Dybala.

25. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The Dybala stuff was a bit earlier, the late window rumours were about Mario Mandzukic and Inaki Williams.

Could also have been somebody the press hadn't picked up on.