I'm not bitter ... but I hate you all (other teams thread)

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by pookspur, Jul 4, 2012.

1. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully the Anfield pitch is still dry.

2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    hows things, lex?

3. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't complain. Don't want to be like Klopp.

Funkfoot repped this.
  4. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Wouldn't count on Everton, they looked a total shambles against Wolves...but so did West Ham...

5. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    dammit! Citeh go up 0-1 with the last kick of the 1st half.

Everton have been playing with them, and will feel hard done by to be down. They've really looked like they could get something from it.

6. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    #3156 Golara, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Citeh win 2-0 in the end and although Everton didn't embarrass themselves like they did at the wekend, they never laid a glove on them. Their best chance came from a Kyle Walker blunder when he yet again gave the ball away, but Tosun's pass to Richarlison was slighty overhit, allowing Ederson to race off his line and smother.

In my dream world of dream worlds, we win the title on the last day of the season from a Walker rickett in stoppage time.

I think Liverpool's recent slip-ups have galvanised Pep and Co., the last couple of games they have looked like a team that expects to win the title, a lot like Fergie's United teams did back in the day, while Liverpool and their supporters look like they are feeling the heat. Not good news for us or the red half of Merseyside.

7. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'm glad City won. That way, pressure is now all on Liverpool in the middle of a (brief, admittedly) wobbly spell.

They mess up, meaning we go past them. City then get complacent, so they mess up and we go past them.

Champions Elect.

8. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I would be more worried about City than Liverpool. Pep is not known for his mind games, but he has gotten under Klopp's skin with his comments about how Liverpool have gotten favourable decisions all season, while Raheem Sterling never gets the benefit of the doubt from the officials.

Referees will never admit it, but there is a subconcious element at play and you could see it during the Liverpool-Leicester fixture at Anfield when Martin Atkinson did not give a stonewall penalty when Keita was hacked down in the box and didn't send off Harry Maguire for a professional foul on Mané. Maybe subconsiously he didn't want to be the key figure in another Reds win and took the easy way out. This has cleary irked Klopp who had a go at Kevin Friend at the full time whistle at West Ham, even though his team had benefitted from a missed off-side on its goal.

Fergie was another master at intimidating referees and planting seeds in the media. How many times did visiting teams get penalties at Old Trafford during his reign? And how many favourable decisions did they seem to get over the years?

9. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    a draw would be optimal, of course, but beyond that I would've preferred City dropping points rather than Chelsea.

Still, it's always fun watching Chelsea get stuffed.

10. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Remember Sarri said that this group of Chelsea players was hard to motivate? Might get even harder now.

11. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Wonder if Chelsea might be on a serious down spell? Sarri seems destined for the sack. Hazard will be off to Madrid. Willian doesn’t want to sign a one year extension. Likely no Champions’ League football to offer. New stadium is indefinitely postponed (I know glass houses)

They’ll have the money to buy good players of course.

12. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Only the first leg, of course, but rather embarrassing for l'Arse to lose to Bate in what is effectively preseason for them.

BalanceUT repped this.
  13. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    beaten (baten?) by Bate, lol

14. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Just think.Yesterday we played Borussia Dortmund in the CL at Wembley in the round of 16.

The day after, Arsenal and their supporters had to go to Belorus to play BATE Borisov in the round of 32 of the Europa League.

Just repeat that several times and remind yourself that not that long ago, it was the reverse.

BalanceUT repped this.
  15. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    We're better than them right now. Simple as.

Enjoy it. Savor it. Because at some point we won't be. I used to bang on about it all the time with gooners (and I know a ton of 'em). We are clubs of similar size, and it's cyclical. Even when they'd been on top for 10-15 years and it seemed like we were nowhere near them, I always told them that it was just a matter of time. And now, finally, the time is unarguably here.

Frankly, it won't mean anywhere near as much if we don't win anything - but we are better than arsenal, and everyone knows it. Hopefully it lasts a good long while. But it won't last forever.

I don't, by the way, intend that as a knock against their Europa campaign. They went to the semis last year (didn't they?), which is a decent run and good fun. I won't laugh at them for playing clubs like Bate. Perhaps I might just a bit if they lose to a club like Bate, though. ;) Frankly, I suspect they'll win the tie in the end.

BalanceUT repped this.
  16. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    "Forever in their shadow".... yeah, but no.

Once I was anal enough to tabulate the difference in our league records year by year. Late 90's/Early 2000's was unquestionably theirs, but by late 2000's they were beating us by only a point or 2. Point is, the cycle was probably overdue. Probably sustained by the disadvantage of the old stadium and the limited revenue that came with it.

Plus they had a knack of picking up FA Cups even late into the Wenger era, which is enviable. Old enough to remember when Spurs were not bested by anyone in FA Cups (equal on 7 with Villa at that time, IIRC).

17. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    BATE - Beat Arsenal Thursday Evening!

btw - bate was playing in the cl when we weren’t...

18. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    we had eight, to Villa's seven.

I mean, we still have eight to their seven, it's just that other have surpassed us now.

and you're right, philly, there's no doubt that by the late nineties, arsenal had superior revenue streams to ours, not just in matchday revenues, but with their regular champions league earning factored in, as well. but even if you take the money out of it, the fact is that (in footballing terms) we were a poorly run operation under Alan Sugar, whereas they were doing things very right. In came Daniel Levy and out went David Dein, and the tide began to turn. Now it's just the opposite - we're getting the footballing part right, and they're … well … not.

19. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Every day I say a special prayer to the Football Gods for making Saint Stan of Kroenke the majority shareholder at the Arsenal. It is music to my ears when I hear reports that Arsenal have only £40 million to buy players in the summer and not having funds to recall Calum Chambers on loan from Fulham (really?), not to mention the £350,000 quid a week they pay to Ozil to stay in bed. And with Saint Stan plowing his considerable millions into his shiny new mega-stadium for the Rams in Hollywood Park, the funds won't be flowing to Unai Emery any time soon.

20. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Solskjaer has almost certainly cemented the full time Manchester United manager role today.

BalanceUT repped this.
  21. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    but unfortunately a new spot seems to opened up at real ffs

22. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Solskjaer is the new DiMatteo, although PSG threw away that game with some schoolboy errors. Let's hope we don't draw them in the quarters.

23. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Rennes 3, Arsenal 1, Sokratis the big malakas got sent off, hee-hee...

24. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    crikey! I saw that Arsenal was up a goal after five minutes, or so, and didn't give it another thought. I figured the would put the tie to bed in the first leg on the road.

guess not.