I'm not bitter ... but I hate you all (other teams thread)

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by pookspur, Jul 4, 2012.

1. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Huddersfield win the £200 million game and City look like they want to spend £200 million before July.

Madness.

2. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    I once casually applied for a job in Huddersfield and kissing up to the CEO I congratulated him on HT's recent promotion (to the 3rd division?). I'm strangely pleased they've been promoted on that weird years ago email conversation.

3. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Absolutely zero knowledge of that team, but if they are going to scrape through on penalties, as they did against Wednesday I believe in the earlier round, that does not bode well for their fortunes in the Premier League. Still! Lots of opportunities to post Patrick Stewart facepalm memes. (He's a Town fan)

soccernutter repped this.
  4. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    yeah, he (Stewart) was at Wembley yesterday ... and got almost as much camera time as the team.

... he was probably more interesting than the game, though, so fair play.

5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw the clips during the shootout. He looked quite anxious...

6. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    I think our best chance was in 2006-07 when we got all the way to the quarters and were one penalty away from seeing off PSV when Jenas bottled his spot-kick agains Huerelio Gomes of all people (who played a blinder against us over the 2 legs). That was under Martin Jol when the cynicism of playing in the Uefa Cup (as it was still known then) hadn't yet settled in to English football (I remember Middlesbrough and Fulham (and Fulham being criticized for resting players in the PL ahead of their semi-final against Juventus!) going all the way to the final during that period).

Modern day fans won't have this memory, but I still cherish those European nights when we had the 3 competitions (European Cup, Cup-Winners Cup and Uefa Cup) with no group stages and following the games on the radio from far-flung European outposts, and then checking all the results in the papers the next day. And nobody played weakened sides either!

pookspur repped this.
  7. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Preach on, brother!

and with nothing but champions in the European Cup, the UEFA cup had real quality. It was a major trophy, and no mistake.

8. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Agreed, I remember the 80s when Spurs had European ties against the likes of Bayern, Barca and Real, and none of those were in the European Cup! And even the ties against Eastern European clubs were exciting because we didn't know much about them and they all had quality sides that could play...Ahh, where did football go wrong?

9. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Rupert Murdoch

10. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Joao Havelange

jumhed and Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  11. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Whoever was responsible for turning the European competitions into the bloated, predictable monsters they are now.

I don't know if it's Murdoch or the big clubs to blame for how the Premier League has turned out. English football was in a dire state before it and it needed a reboot, but the PL didn't have to evolve the way it has.

12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I think the two biggest issues to help the English Premier League were the Bosman Ruling in 1995 and then the Free Movement Directive in 2004 which scrapped the WP requirements for non European Economic Area players (I think it was the 2004 directive, might have been slightly before). Look at how Chelsea and Arsenal brought in several non British players and did well.

As for Europe, I blame Man U, Real Madrid, and AC Milan, primarily, as the EC was a clear result of the threat of those clubs (and several others) to form a break away league.

13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you didn't know about this, great stuff from the FC Copenhagen fans. Appearanly they do it every season they win the title...

14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    France v. Sweden...Hugo doin' Hugo...smh

15. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    The Spurs boys look a shadow of themselves for England. Not sure if it's Southgate’s tactics or missing the likes of Eriksen & Dembele.

18. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    It's a combination. England doesn't have the back bone that Lloris (probably wrong time to claim so), Alderweireld and Vertonghen bring. Nor the quick feet and talent in the middle of the pitch of Eriksen and Dembele.
    However, Southgate does himself no favour by playing Dier together with Livermore giving himself a very slow donkey like midfield. His options are spare, but he should stick to just one of them and get other player types in there. Our own Harry Winks would suit well if he'd been fit.

19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Count Chocula repped this.
  20. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    877105129010466816 is not a valid tweet id

If we had lost Walker, I would've been ok with Alves as his replacement, due to his experience and obviously since he proved last year at Juve that he's still got it. But since it was Man City who were rumored to be after Walker, I suppose we can end the speculation now.

21. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any of y'all see the ESPNFC interview of Pogba with Lakuku? Where he pushed Alex Nunez int he pool. Man, is Pogba an asshole. Saw the follow up, and Alex is diplomatic with her thoughts on that.

(Not gonna link the video, not deserving to show up in our feed.)

22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we can expect this type of stuff. He was a bit hot headed on the pitch (though improved in the past 2+ years) and had some kind of falling out with Poch. He's got a bitterness in him, and no matter what he said or will say, it is with that bitterness. I think it is a testament that Spurs dumped him even without a backup to Trippier.

And with this, I would find no sadness for Walker if...I mean when...Spurs win the title this season, and Man City win nothing.

23. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sorry, I accidentally deleted my post. Here it is again from memory

24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.espnfc.com/story/3162651...n-deal-for-benjamin-mendy-with-monaco-sources

When both deals are officially confirmed it will take City's spending on full-backs this summer to around £123m after they signed England international Kyle Walker from Tottenham.

Desperate times call for spending lots of money.

Spurs will still probably have the best defense in the league. And that group (Rose, Trippier, Dier, Alde, Vert, Davies) cost how much? Less than Walker alone, correct?

25. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    But is he wrong?