I'm going to Frankfurt and I'll be Rightback: Timmy Chandler at Eintracht Frankfurt

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Jul 19, 2014.

1. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I saw Chandler's entire game this weekend. Since I hadn't seen him for some time, I was interested in how he played. In short, his game was the same as the last time:
    * in attack: very, very good. Decent pace, good movement, excellent combination play and accurate passing
    * in defence: poor. Pushed too far forward & caught on the counter. CB's worked the offside trap, not him
    That's the way Schaff plays the game. For a guy who looks like an actuary's introverted cousin, he doesn't half like his teams bombing forward. In this system, Chandler looks and looked very assured.

I'm not sure how he'll handle being a bunkering RB, but the MNT could do a hell of a lot worse IMO

2. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Johannsson was last year, I think it was their winger (#7) can't remember his name at the moment.
    Guzan wasn't the best player either, he was responsible for keeping the game close, no question about it.
    Rubin just saw sparse minutes last weekend because injury players are starting to come back in to the starting line up.

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That wasn't the reason he didn't start. They wanted a bigger target at CF. He'll eventually transition back to the wing or the #10 position where he's at his best for Utrecht. None of their wingers or #10's would keep him out of the lineup. Give it a few games. He's started virtually every game this season and is their most valuable asset.

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    #104 freisland, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    Well, in their 4-2-3-1, calling the outside mids in the 3 "wingers," then Oar will almost always start ahead of Rubin on the left when healthy. He has been very consistent for Utrecht again this season.

I'm not sure he beats out a healthy Duplan on the right all the time either - although Duplan is no spring chickie, so there's no reason Rubin can't get good minutes there.

The real questions, if Haller works in the middle or Boymans comes back, is whether Rubin will lock down the #10. I'm hopeful but less certain. Ayoub or Bazarite could see minutes. Honestly, Utrecht's last decent showings were the Groningen game with Rubin out (and Ayoub getting a goal and an assist before RR came in) and the AZ game with Rubin up front, both were a 4 man midfield with a dedicated DCM behind them. Oar and Diemers were the CM's. V. Groning it was Peterson/Ayoub/Jannsen/Duplan.

My uneducated guess is that Utrecht is liking what they see with Ayoub at ACM, want to keep RR on the field, but aren't exactly sure how. If Utrecht get a few more goals with the Haller/Duplan/Ayoub/Oar line-up- esp in the 4 (maybe Duplan/Jannsen/Ayoub/Oar, RR might find himself back to sub minutes - which, honestly, ain't the end of the world at 18/19 in the Netherlands. Another few months of seasoning won't kill him. He has shown enough that either Utrecht or someone else will want him on their shelf for sure.

Oops-sorry, really wrong thread for this. Feel free to ignore as you will - or imagine you are reading the RR thread. my bad.

LouisZ repped this.
  5. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    sometimes simple is the best. I would love to see: Chandler at RB, Yedlin at RM, FJ at LB and Shae/something fast at LM.

Then just unleash those hounds. That's a lot of speed. Chandler has the best cross out of all of them and FJ has the best touch.

Chandler------besler------Brooks--------FJ
    -----------------------Cameron-----------------------------
    ---Yedlin--------------acm---------------something fast--------

Chandler is a run-and-gun player. You don't want him doing anything fancy: north-south, early cross.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    FJ + Shea on the left = all good crosses come from the right = easier for the other team to mark our counters.

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Some game highlights vs. Schalke -

The assist was deflected but he got a solid "3" from the Kicker.

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    there's some guy named Chandler playing for Franfurt right now as they are about to beat Hamburg in the battle of the Grill.

Anyone heard of him?

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Hey freisland, I've heard of Timmy Chandler. He's a full international for the USMNT and a Bundesliga starter. Here's some highlights from Frankfurt's last game against Julian Green's Hamburg! Enjoy!

http://eurorivals.net/eintracht-frankfurt~hsv-highlights-video-28-02-2015

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Got a 4.0 for his efforts ... was one of the players who got beat by the dribbler on HSV's goal.

11. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    I think it's great there's still a handful of Americans playing in Europe.

12. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I haven't been following Chandler that closely in a while. Can someone give me a brief report on how his season with E. Frankfurt has gone so far?

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Thomas Schaaff is German for Zdenek Zeman. Eintracht is 3rd best in goals scored and 2nd worst in goals allowed ... which is why they're in 8th place but with a negative GD. The club is saved by Alex Maier's conversion from a full midfielder to full time center forward ... at 32! (OK, he has played some CF in the past). The guy is leading Bundesliga in goals with 19 and probably should have made it his full time job much sooner. In previous years, he was the world tallest midfielder at 6'5".

Or, Timmy --- 3.88 Kicker average. Defenders don't get high grades under Schaaf, pretty much like under Zeman.

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scored his 1st goal of the season against Hoffenheim.

15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He likes to eat Cheeseburgers on Sundays and his nickname is "J-Lo" because of his big ass.

stonej16 repped this.
  17. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last bit was truly hilarious. Also Timmys Englisch ist ziemlich besser geworden! He seems much more comfortable speaking compared to several years ago.

stonej16, Tom Collingsworth and Deeneaus repped this.
  18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Luckily Jurgen knows where to get good players now so...

Unluckily, those good players are better than Tim, so...

19. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago Meatpackers! BEST BURGERS IN GERMANY/EUROPE! Love that spot! Can't wait to go back.

Timmy seems hella cool. His English has really improved too.

stonej16, Hobo and naopon repped this.
  20. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh. Guess we'll all just have to start calling him J-Lo now!

21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. oliveandblue

oliveandblue Member

Jul 7, 2015
    United States
    Club:
    DC United
  23. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  24. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    Yup. Chandler is established enough in the bundesliga that he should put in a transfer request and tell his manager to toddle off.

25. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His fellow Yanks seem to love him, he seems to love playing for the badge. Who the f is this guy?