I'm Back! - Bienvenue Zizou

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by AriGold, Mar 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We aren't gonna know anything until we see what squad Flo/Zidane puts together for next season. There could be 5-6 changes and they could make a big impact. We really don't know if he is viewing this season as a tryout, a way to increase value of players he wants sold, a rehabilitation of older players he feels can still contribute, etc...we just don't know what his vision is. That can worry fans, I get it, but I'm just hopeful we can improve the squad this summer and more importantly recover some of the confidence and will that we've certainly lost this season.

2. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I’m sure Zizou signed up to a proper long-term project that includes both player transfer control and transfer budget.
    He doesn’t come across as the type to bend over and just say yes because Perez came crawling on all fours and begged him to join to save the club he loves.

3. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I am a little worried right now that Zidane will make the right decisions about certain players.

4. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    We have a manager who won 3 CL in a row, who is a proven success at our club and people are complaining and bashing him for not winning meaningless matches at the end of the season with subpar unmotivated personnel.

Lol

5. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll add that I don't want to see Reguilon and Llorente stay, and Courtois, Isco and probably Marcelo to leave. Those are decisions I will certainly be concerned about depending on what ZZ does, but I also have to see who he brings in to round things out.
    Bottom line is Marcelo is the most important piece to me, he is a huge liability on defense and that must be addressed.

Anon. repped this.
  6. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I hope he doesn't fall into the Lippi and VDB trap with their NTs. Both stuck with deadweights because those players won them everything before. I am pretty sure we will get Hazard, Jovic, Mendy and one CM. So Bale and co are out. But worried about Spanish uninspiring players ala Lucas, Isco and Asensio staying ahead of young and hungry players. Not the players you need even as squad players to get 90 points in the league.

Shay Z, Anon. and robnycus repped this.
  7. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Well he just said Marcelo is an important player and that we need to recuperate him.

If he feels the same way about Isco and Asensio I think he’s lost it

8. xRamos4

xRamos4 Member+

May 14, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    A lot of these players became subpar/unmotivated while Zidane was still in charge last year. The CL's are an achievement you can never take away from him as a manager, but can't forget we finished 17 points off Barca in the league last year.

I think questioning our system/tactics is legitimate, because I questioned that at this time last year too. But you're right, the best time to assess is after he's had his squad refresh this summer.

9. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Wow.. he said we played a good game today and had many chances..

The Spanish press is only interested in asking him about Marcelo and Bale..
    Zero questions about the poor performance of Isco and Asensio
    It is very clear these two guys are being protected by the media.

10. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    Its mind blowing really, and this is with a squad that EVERYONE said that no coach could win with but yea Zidane is the problem, we're getting relegated next season.

YOUNGSTARS87 repped this.
  11. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Whose fault is that? Zidane asked for players who would revitalize the team.

He didn't want Bale. He wanted Mbappe. He wanted Pogba.

Even just those two additions would have been kicks in the rear of our midfield and attack.

Our President gave him nothing. All Zidane did was have a vision and use what he had.

Drouchk repped this.
  12. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Like seriously.

Nacho was starting. He has been beyond trash.. Vallejo gets sent off as well. What else do you expect.

Just sad really.

Same people when then beat theit chest about CL and success when Zidane pulls us out of the mire clayFlorentino put us in

Drouchk repped this.
  13. ElCapitánSR4

ElCapitánSR4 Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Sep 14, 2017
    This squad is indeed really weak, but come on man. I’m a big van of Zizou but it makes me really angry that he is playing Marcelo, Asensio, Vazquez and Isco when they don’t even deserve it.

Reguilon is not the best left back, but he played 10x better than Marcelo. Also Ceballos is not worse than how Isco is playing. And I have nothing against these players because Isco is one of my favourite, but he is playing like sh*t.

robnycus repped this.
  14. xRamos4

xRamos4 Member+

May 14, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    No one on here is doubting the squad is a problem, it's the #1 problem. But it's a legitimate question if Zidane won't also be a problem. I'm not convinced of his squad selection/rotation (another concern that predates these few games) or his tactics/system (how much of the CL credit is due to Cris?).

Guess we'll find out in the fall when he's had his transfer refresh and there will be no excuses.

15. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    I don't like it either, but I'm gonna give rhe three-peat CL winning managet the benefit of a doubt.

We have people attacking Zidane because of Reguilon. Like seriously? Smfh

AriGold, Halycon and Bear Crotch repped this.
  16. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Isco has been protected by more than the media in his stint here.

I'd actually give Asensio another shot. He's good on the counter. I think he can excel as the super sub ala Morata in 16/17. He was never going to be a world beater but people get extra blood flow to the loins when it's a young Spanish prospect at Madrid. Destined to be good not great

It'll be difficult to see us winning anything next year depending on what happens with Barcelona so I'm not above the likes of Brahim, Rodrygo or Odegaard taking the year to find their feet in La Liga.

17. ElCapitánSR4

ElCapitánSR4 Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Sep 14, 2017
    No I’m with you. I’m not saying Zidane out or something like that because I’m really looking forward to next season when he has (finally) the players he wants. I want the guy to succeed and show people that it was not only because of CR7.

And I mentioned Reguilon because worked very hard and does not deserve to be excluded when Marcelo is playing like this. It does not give a good signal to other players when ZZ keeps playing Marcelo. I just hope from next season he’ll play the players who deserve it and not who he likes the most.

YOUNGSTARS87 repped this.
  18. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    He will play Marcelo. There is no questions about that. If we get this Mendy guy most likely he will be Marcelo’s backup. Reguillon does not count for him, same as Llorente so why even play them.

He started his answer today by saying how important of a player he is too this club, so he is obviously sticking with him for other reasons besides his performance.

For this reason I respect Solari because he always played the players who he thought were in the best form and who could contribute more to the team.

19. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The inclusion of Marcelo who continues to show he is past it is worrisome (although Reguilon is apparently injured atm) but I agree with Nate, we have absolutely no idea what his plan and vision is for next season. Not like ZZ is gonna come out and tell us things. But we know he left this same squad this time last year because he wanted changes he didn't think would happen. Just got to wait until the summer.

temesgen repped this.
  20. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    I just believe he's trying to get players to show they still have it. Let's just hipe he doesn't gice them infinity opportunities.

For me Reguilon shouldn't be out starter. He gives little to nothing offensively. I don't believe Asensio, Isco and sadly Ceballos have done enough to warrant them being indispensable.

I believe Llorente is good but not as good as this forum makes him out to be.

Zidane isn't that far off from what many of us think. Again, let's just hope he sees what we are seeing and let's Isco and Asensio gooooo. Marcelo will be here and probably his last year if he can't sort himself out.

Drouchk repped this.
  21. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    #396 Drouchk, May 12, 2019
    Last edited: May 12, 2019
    Ok i hear ya but look at it this way, Zidane has pretty much given everyone a day ( not called up for a game ) since he took over, and that includes the likes of Varane, Kroos, Valverde ( a player he personally said to that he is counted on ) and Brahim , whom he likes very much but he has not left Isco and Asensio out of any match day squad, Marcelo as well why do you think that is? because these are the guys he has the most doubts about apart from those he's already frozen out, which is why he keeps playing them to make absolutely sure whether its time to offload them or not.

The fact these guys are getting a lot of minutes means nothing in regards to what happens this summer.
    I too wish he'd count on reguillion but it is what it is, he's getting a left back that he prefers ( Not Marcelo).

This is the rational approach. The current squad rotation that you see indicates nothing in reality, he is experimenting, if he doesnt do so now then when will he?

22. Varnagel

Varnagel Member+

Nothing
    Sweden
    Jun 4, 2017
    And? Gareth Bale has won 4 Champions League and was instrumental in three of these titles. Yet, people are more than happy to complain & bashing him. Which is understandable given to his performances this season.

An in-form Regulion is better than Marcelo & should be in the line-up by merit.

Zidane has consistently kept using the likes of Marcelo, Asensio, Isco etc. while excluding Regulion & Llorente from the match squad. There's zero reason to believe on why Zidane won't give playing time to those guys who are out-of-form in next season as well.

Say what you want about Solari, but at least he was willing to make changes and wasn't afraid to give minutes to those who actually deserved. Regulion

23. xRamos4

xRamos4 Member+

May 14, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yes, but as I noted, this was a concern that PREDATES this stretch of games. He's always shown us his favoritism of certain players and how frozen out individuals get when they're out of the inner circle. We'll see if he breaks from tradition this fall.

Stiliyan repped this.
  24. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I dont really get how Bale is froZen and Isco is not. Isco is not recoverable no matter who the coach is . Playing him is making him sink even further down the abyss and devaluating him.

25. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    Who did he freeze out that didnt deserve it in your book?

Also every coach does this, there is absolutely no need from him to break from this tradition, if a player has off the field issues/isnt acting professional he gets the boot.