Illinois State Cup - Spring 2018

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by soccermaniacs3, May 22, 2018.

1. soccermaniacs3

soccermaniacs3 New Member

Sep 15, 2016
    Looking over brackets for upcoming Quarterfinals looks like there is a lot of variety in the brackets. Part of this is due to 2 teams advancing from each bracket (previously years there were only one from each bracket).

Will be interesting to see results of Saturday games. Good for the game to have variety

2. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Sockers vs Magic?

:confused:

3. soccermaniacs3

soccermaniacs3 New Member

Sep 15, 2016
    what age bracket is that happening in?

4. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Every final pre 2012....?

5. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Lots of FC United teams

6. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Gotta get those GotSoccer rankings up. Jesus they are so much like Magic!

7. Joe Reynolds

Joe Reynolds New Member

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 23, 2018
    Exactly. Especially when the Sockers have no chance of accruing GotSoccer points against the Cicero Mayas in the mighty CNPL or against a bunch of low level MDL teams striving to reach MRL Qualifying Division Copper.

Kids throughout Sockerland are wondering if Vapor is better than Nike or if Tiempo is better than Naperville Honey Beige. Either way, it's equally puzzling whether winning the brown division at the Crossroad Showcase warrants skipping your junior season of high school so you can "develop."

Then again, if you can make an ECNL boys team that eschewed MRL Bronze to earn a 2-3-7 record against teams from Indiana, Kentucky and the 3rd team from the Michigan Wolves, why the hell not!!!

8. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Good stuff JR :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

9. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    So, now we’re dogging the State Cup?….I swear I can’t keep up with some of you guys…..

10. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I don't think anyone is jamming SC.

I do think it's unfortunate that USYS decided to ban teams who participate in USCS from participating in these tourneys and thusly spliting the comeptition.

I feel the same about NPL/MRL and DA/ECNL.

It would be nice if we could have one platform or a combined playoff system where the best players/teams can compete.

In this case - USYS shot themselves in the foot so it's hard to feel sorry for them that State Cup is not as competitive as it was years ago.

$$$$$

11. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    And by good old days, you mean when it was dominated by two teams from Chicago…if I am reading your earlier comment correctly…

12. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    No you are assuming I think that was good when in fact it was not because many other clubs were still playing long ball.

If we had a centralized playing field at this level you would have a far better mix today.

Galaxy/Team Chicago/CSA/Eclipse/Northwind/Libertyville/Raiders/Campton/FC1/FCUnited

More clubs are coaching better then they were back then.

But the leagues want their money...

13. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Soooo, the State Cup is not as “competitive,” but with better teams, coached better, playing better soccer…got it, sounds horrible…

14. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    No that's what you just said.

I swear you wear underwear that is way too tight mwulf...

15. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We all have a pet peeves and complaints regarding our grossly imperfect youth soccer system…I just don’t see every thread as an opportunity to bitch about them…

16. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Who is bitching?

It's a discussion.

[​IMG]

17. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I much prefer your first reply....

In any case, where’s the [your] discussion about the 2018 State Cup?

18. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    You've managed to hijack the entire thread because of your tight underwear big boy.

But I'll restart by saying FCU is dumping teams in to generate GotSoccer points because they need more male players.

That said there are a number of Eclipse Teams and other teams not participating for multiple reasons - many to do with other leagues and other tourneys.

So of what is there - quality but not the State Cup of days gone by when DA/ECNL/NPL/MRL was non-existent.

If that bothers you - you can place me on your ignore :D

19. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ah, you don’t bother me…I rather enjoy your take self-centered, Chicago-centric/North of I80 take on the world of youth soccer…

20. SpiceBoy

SpiceBoy Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Aug 2, 2017
    Joe Reynolds comment has me re-thinking - the boys side in Chicago Land (and Midwest). I was thinking that as Boys have a clear top tier (DA) their "hierarchy" made more sense. Thinking about his comment I think Chicago and the Midwest have a blended second tier or in actuality a lack of a second tier. You have the usual USYS National League and MRL P1 & P2, but you also have MDL, and now Boys ECNL. In Illinois, MDL has Campton's 1st teams and Sockers 2nd teams and for Midwest some Gallegher teams and Minnesota thunder (Boys ECNL). ECNL just has Eclipse which acquired some good boys teams but probably not yet 2nd tier. There are always Strong teams in National League MRL P1 and P2 but it would be good to see Socker's 2nd team or Campton's 1st team (older boys) play the USYS teams (I know we all wish that).
    With the boys teams Eclipse took over last year are they now included with strong boys clubs like Fire, FC United, Sockers, Galaxy and Campton? In boys ECNL Eclipse performs well, but who knows if they are playing the other clubs 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th teams? These clubs have teams in DA, ECNL, MDL, and USYS National league/MRL.

I know there is nothing really new in my rambling, It just was a bit of an eye opener that I thought because boys DA is a clear top league, that the boys side was less screwed up than the girls side....

21. YNWA1986

YNWA1986 Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Word is FCU will be putting some teams back to the NISL and participate in MDL next year.

22. illinisoccer

illinisoccer Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Richardson was the one that decided to start his own thing with US Club and his initial NISL state cup several years back.
    It was always inferior. The boys NPL is good but the girls is a joke. Also there appears to be a few teams from the NPL that are in the USYS state cup including the eclipse boys.

runnrkicks76 repped this.
  23. runnrkicks76

runnrkicks76 New Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    illinisoccer is correct- No club should control leagues/organizations. Sockers and Eclipse are what is wrong with soccer in the US. We don't like what is happening(we aren't making enough money) so we are going to do our own thing. Of course this really starts with our national organization not stepping up and putting a system into place. But if that system existed, everyone would be out money, and that can't happen. In the US, if you want to know what is wrong with a youth sport, follow the money. True for baseball, basketball, soccer, etc.

24. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Certainly a good point. I would argue however that the NISL and as you say (NPL), are stronger then their opposing USYS leagues. I also agree that NPL lacks quality teams on the girls side but you simply cannot deny that there are AB and even B teams in MRL. NPL is young (girls side) and the MRL has been a mess in many ways for years - both have neglected the girls end for so long - just like the DA did for so many years.

I think the recent changes in MRL may make that league a more meaniful place to play. We'll see how the NPL reacts - my guess they may continue to be low on teams on the girls side.

To say that Sockers and Eclipse are whats wrong with soccer is a very general statement. Both have issues - like any other club and yes both have their hands in the cookie jar in terms of leagues. But there are many things that are wrong with soccer across the board and the only common factor is $$$.

25. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Was that prior to USYS stating that USC teams cannot participate in State/Reg/Nat tourneys?

Seriously I cannot remember that far back.