Ignore the blah, blah, blah - the Paul Pogba thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Aug 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The tabloids, when Sanchez's signing was announced, tried to push that story (all of them too, almost on cue). Still believe it's BS: he'll get what's coming to him (especially with an agent like Raiola) and I certainly would like to believe that he's aware that pouting is not the way to get it done.
    Something is not right with him at the moment though: that much is clear. He didn't look like a happy camper at all after he got subbed off yesterday...

2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    For the record, I didn't follow through and buy a Pogba shirt after the Mikhi / Di Maria / Balotelli (forced present) shirts. So none of you can blame me.

topnoevili and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  4. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  5. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Losing Pogba would be a death sentence for us. We've had some high profile failures lately and if the guy we've invested most in jumps ship, other potential players are going to remember that and avoid coming here.

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pogba, status and influence wise, is not like KDB, Lukaku or Salah (when they were at Chelsea at least). And surely, if it comes down to Woodward having to make a choice between Pogba and Mourinho, I think it should be clear as to who gets the ax. Pogba's commercial value alone makes him invaluable to us. Woodward is fully aware of this too.
    Let's really hope it does not go there though: last thing that is needed at this point.

7. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis

Probably just media bs but it could be true. I'm sure when he came back he wasn't expecting to be in a team loaded with offensive players but are told to be defensive for 90% of a match

8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  10. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Despite claims he regrets not joining Real. Big difference.

11. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    But whose media? ;)

Of course Riaola would never be stirring up shit with the player in order to get a great new contract offer on the table :D

One of the odd things about Pogba's mega-deal is he personally is not paid that well according to the numbers we know about.

Obviously Alexis was basically out of contract, but nevertheless his staggering pay generates a fantastic ££ opportunity

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1062 Ashur, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    "The battle for Pogba's heart and mind has begun."

www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/manchester-united/paul-pogba-mourinho-latest-updates-relationship-heart-mind-a8212276.html

As mentioned, they (the English press) must be absolutely loving this. Whether they are ABU or not, one thing is for sure: they know the public will eat up this kind of stuff, which of course, is good for the bottom line.
    Here's hoping this can be nipped in the bud and put to bed one way or another. And in relatively short order.

13. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I wish we could have him at Barca !!

I'd be happy to trade Rakitic and Rafinha and even Gomes ( who needs to rebuild his career somewhere ) ...

14. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    LOL

Does Jose ever not do this?

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1065 Ashur, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Mourinho's stay at United rests on how he deals with the Pogba situation.

www.goal.com/en/news/pogba-no-longer-seen-as-untouchable-and-mourinhos-man-utd/1hhyiw7ath3os1az6ujpg19340

Side note, the position and comments from Raiola who is said to be "baffled" by suggestions that Pogba would entertain a move to Real are pretty interesting. He either knows who butters has been buttering his bread recently,or it obviously could be all BS on his part and just a ploy for more money.
    It bears repeating that nothing should ever be ruled out with (especially because of his greed). Don't trust anything that comes out of his mouth...

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumors about Pogba leaving are lies - Mourinho

www.bbc.com/sport/football/43088555

Step one, the obvious and expected one tbh, has been done with Jose unequivocally slapping down talk about Pogba leaving.
    Now he needs to back those words with action and concede that, for the time being at least, he needs to abandon the 4-2-3-1 setup and play Pogba to his strengths. If for no other reason to help him regain his confidence.
    With 3 huge games coming up, he's vital for any hopes of success and as his manager, Mourinho has to help him when he's going thru a bad patch. A confident and in form Pogba usually translates into a good United as a whole. Simple.

17. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    we were not playing 4-2-3-1!! this is very long winded but i can somewhat understand mourinho's frustration with people saying that pogba was played out of position against newcastle. lingard ws clearly the RCM and not the no. 10, in front of pogba. the avg position maps are there for everyone to see, this is maddening!

jeff070 repped this.
  18. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    So Lingard's positioning screwed Pogba and he was occupying the forward positions.

19. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If Jose continues to waste Pogba we might as well send him to Real Madrid.

A certain type of player must sacrifice his limited gifts for the greater good of the squad. Pogba is not such a type of player. Paul Pogba is no Nicky Butt. Pogba is an audacious talent who's one of the most physically gifted athletes I've ever seen on a football pitch. To box him in the way Mourinho has, as though he were Nicky Butt, is madness.

I'm not on the #JoseOut bandwagon as some are here, but if Mourinho wastes a player as gifted as Pogba (and Martial now, it appears, although it's only been three games) then I'll have to take a fresh look at the case for #JoseOut. Or at least just get rid of Pogba and bring in a hard working Nicky Butt type of player who will serve as the cog in the wheel that Mourinho seems to want from Pogba.

We've got two cup games coming up. Let's see how Mourinho deploys Pogba. If he keeps the shackles on him, what a waste.

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he says so (not going to call him a liar) then fine but one way or another, it really did not look like we were lined up in a 4-3-3. Now whether Pogba was disregarding instructions and trying to do too much or that he was actually doing what he was told, in sitting deeper, who knows?
    Fact of the matter remains that when Pogba does play in a free role on the left side of a 3 men midfield (as was the case vs Everton for instance), it's not hard to see the difference with what we've seen vs Newcastle, with little or none of the drive to create for others upfront, wreak havoc in Newcastle's defense and was playing often way too deep to really have the offensive influence expected of him anyway.
    I have also mentioned that while it's all well and good to play Lingard in midfield with Matic and Pogba, there will be situations where he will simply not be a good fit. And that's why I have been calling for the 3rd midfield in particular to be juggled and rotated, depending on the opponent and circumstances between Lingard, Herrera, Fellani and McTominay (would add Mata as an option personally, but Jose will probably never consider him there unfortunately).
    The bottom line remains, if we were actually setup in a 4-3-3 vs Newcastle, it's a surprise to me. And evidently, it did not work at all as expected either.

21. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Pogs definitely spent a lot of time on the right not the left. I said as much in the match thread,

There was a brief period around 20mins where he came to the left for a while and the commentators were speculating on an injury (as that was the side Mou/trainers were on and they were in discussion). There was also a camera shot around that time of Mou looking angry and indicating some lineup with his fingers. Then Pogs went back to the right.

Shame there is no 11tegen11 passmap for this game. The heatmaps that are out there suggest Pogs touches were both left and right with his most advanced touches being on the right hand side not the left.

Pogs may not have been following instruction completely, but if there is b&&&&t it is coming from Mou who cant recast history on this one.

Think Mou is just saving face. As long as the net result is Pogs playing #8 on left in future ...

22. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  23. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    @Ashur @Sofabloke Just look at the players' position map yourselves: https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...-2017-2018-Newcastle-United-Manchester-United.

Look, I don't care about Mourinho and I have no desire to "defend" him but this is just insanity. Pogba was not playing in a double pivot with Matic against Newcastle. The argument that he was "restricted" falls completely flat when you realize that he was level with Lingard with Matic way, way behind between the two CBs.

This is getting ridiculous - are we seriously going to argue against Mourinho on his own instructions? Now, you could say that Lingard is not the right partner for him in midfield but it's just not true to say that he was in a double pivot. He had a bad game and he may have been injured, it happens.

24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said in my previous post, if Jose claims he did not setup the team in a double pivot, then so be it. What we saw on the pitch, simply does not match with what he said. Whether it's his fault or his instructions were not followed, I can't comment on but it does not change what transpired.
    Besides, my issue with Jose does not rest on tactical choices alone. You can set up the team perfectly, but if you don't have the right pieces or if players are not physically up to carrying out their tasks, then what's the point.
    Matic, as it's been mentioned again and again and again, is playing way too much with little or no respite. Is it some big surprise then if his performance level continues to drop?
    It only matters to me so much what formation the team is set up in: the players used, especially when you consider the circumstances of the day (oppo and in game situations), matter just as much and Jose has been mediocre there as well, if we're being honest.

25. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well, you can drink the kool-aid if you want, but I watched the game and will go on what I saw rather than whoscored. You should know not to use whoscored to defend a point, that is a rookie mistake right there :)

He definitely spent more time on the right side of midfield in the first half, not the left. Never said it was a double-pivot. In fact here are my quotes from the match thread (“all over the place” sums it up pretty well I think).