Ignore the blah, blah, blah - the Paul Pogba thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Aug 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I doubt anyone could explain it in terms you'd grasp, you twat.

2. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because he's telling the truth.

3. Professor Brainfart

Dec 23, 2016
    Planet Reality
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's nice to see you've got your anger management issues under control @johno, stick at it :thumbsup:

4. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The new blood in these forums have brought with them an incredible amount of arrogance and stupidity but very little footballing knowledge.

nicephoras, johno, JamesA and 3 others repped this.
  5. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    That said, in fairness to brainfart, he clearly did watch Pogba for the reserves which can't be said for the others.

6. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    And for the record, I said before we brought Pogba back that I thought he was a luxury player that needed a certain formation and supporting cast to function.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  7. Professor Brainfart

Dec 23, 2016
    Planet Reality
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Totally agree @MizzouMUFC, hopefully the Moderators are keeping their eyes on them :D

8. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Everybody needs to calm the fck down.

A wise man (nimma) once said to me..."think before you type". Enough of the name calling and passive aggressiveness. I'm sure you're all grown ups who can understand that not everybody will have the same view as yourself. If arguing your case means you have to insult and name call...you are already the loser in that debate.

You may continue.

9. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Up yours you wanker.

[emoji2] [emoji6]

I kid of course.

The subject of Paul Pogba is hardly one to get riled up over.

FTR, I've felt for a while that CMs have far more specific roles these days.

The all-round box-to-box Keano or Robbo midfielder has been out of vogue for a while.

While Pogs has areas of his game that need improvement, I don't necessarily think it's a huge failing that he requires certain components around him, to get the best out of his considerable talent.

johno, sdotsom and Ashur repped this.
  10. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    agreed. it is certainly never a weakness with Messi for example. it is what it is.

media regurgitation isn't going away anytime soon

barroldinho repped this.
  11. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    842665066004660224 is not a valid tweet id

12. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    too bad it doesn't say in what realm. the team? the league? top 5 leagues?

13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    The realm is reality.

barroldinho, MizzouMUFC and Gilma1990 repped this.
  14. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought Zlatan had created 70+ chances?

15. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    You mean Zlatan has wasted 70+ chances :ROFLMAO:

sdotsom, J'can, johno and 3 others repped this.
  16. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lol. That is how I read it too.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The interesting part is that while Pogba can and will probably do more (from regular proper utilization and supporting cast), those numbers, which are very good and speak for themselves btw, will mean little or nothing to those hellbent on believing Pogba has not been good enough.
    He hasn't scored 20 goals yet or screamers and many of his potential assists have simply been wasted but he's very effective at times, just running the offense. He's had a dip as late, which is understandable under the circumstances, but I expect him to finish strong, rejuvenated by his current time on the sidelines. And I expect a monster season from him next term, one that will hopefully quiet down some of his detractors.

18. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Pundits sway between "he is world class" a few weeks back, to "he is not good enough" a few days ago.

His defensive capability in a double pivot is iffy at times (not a surprise as discussed here many times and partly on Mou for not playing a 3).

His goal output is partly unlucky, partly his fault and partly Mou in playing him in a 2 a lot.

He does a lot of good work though that goes largely unnoticed (hence his decent stats).

There should be some balanced reporting, but there isnt because of the price tag, usual ABU issues and other factors (first season in EPL, deployment). He has been good in many respects, he will get better and he is far from being our main issue for being where we are.

barroldinho repped this.
  19. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    In the ten I believe, but the passes in oppo half is probably best top of the league

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  20. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's been rubbish the last month. He wan mainly good before that, and had some exceptional games within those. After seeing him pull up, his latest form is probably down to too much playing time. Jose has to try and learn from this. The End

21. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Season to date I'd give Pogba a 7. He hasn't performed as a 90m footballer should, but he's been exceptional at times. His late rough patch clearly goes down to fatigue. Even though we lose him for boro, a relegation-bound club, we'll have a reJUVEnated Pogba for the run-in when we go for the cup lift and wins over Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal.

Professor Brainfart repped this.
  22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Pogs having to withdraw from France duty, Deschamps has called up Bakayoko to replace him...

23. Professor Brainfart

Dec 23, 2016
    Planet Reality
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  24. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The instructive part of that part piece echoes what we've all been saying for months now, that to get the best out of Pogba we need to play a midfield 3. Pogba is a special talent but he's not a multi-talented player and we shouldn't demand that he be one regardless of how much the club paid for him.

But right now we have one objective -- returning to the Champions League. Whatever has to be done to maximize our chance of doing that is what must be done. For now I am not interested in champagne football. I am only interested in collecting W's, even if that means playing Pogba in a double pivot. Win ugly, but win at all costs. There just aren't many fixtures left where we can enjoy the luxury of gorgeous football but see us drop points. Maybe if we eviscerate Anderlecht 0-6 in their house we can have some fun in the return leg, but that's about it. But if we're in that situation I'd rather drop Pogba and rest him than have him out there for a cause that's already been settled.