Ignore the blah, blah, blah - the Paul Pogba thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Aug 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #626 Ashur, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    sdotsom repped this.
  2. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Excellent piece, Ashur.

Lots to think about, but this caught my eye:

Compared with his previous seasons in Italy, the midfielder is actually creating more chances per game. However, United are ranked 18th in the league for converting their chances, and rock bottom as the worst side in the division for putting away so-called “big chances”; those goalscoring opportunities where a player should be reasonably expected to score due to being in a one-on-one scenario or from close range.​

We know that already, but it can't be emphasized enough that we're creating enough "big chances". Problem is...well, we know what the problem is.

Somehow, some way, we're going to return to the Champions League next season. No surprise here, but I suspect it will be through the EL but maybe it will be through a T4 finish. Either way, with CL back on our calendar next season United will be a more attractive proposition to top players like Griezmann this summer. It will be really interesting to see whether, or how, Jose can integrate Antoine, Anthony and Paul together. If Paul gets the "freedom" that would suit him best how does Jose work that out with Antoine and Anthony (not suggesting by any means that it's impossible)? Does Rashford toil for another season behind all these illustrious starters? Do we give Carrick another season? Herrera is a nailed on starter, but what would be his role? And the role of Blind, who's a somewhat underappreciated player by Jose (although it may be that I overappreciate him and foolishly value his potential contribution as a midfielder).

Anyway, it's an excellent article and worth the quick read. Thanks, Ashur!

3. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  4. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Comparing full game stats of Kante and Pogba in a game where Pogs midfield partner is sent off and we are at the bridge for 60 mins with 10 men and recorded our lowest possession stats, is just futile and meaningless.

Also they are different players - Kante is a 6/8 hybrid and Pogs is an 8/10 hybrid. Herrera / Kante comparisons are more valid, but maybe not in the case of the game yesterday :) Dont think Herrera completed a single pass second half ....

sdotsom and Ashur repped this.
  6. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    And Herrera beats him in most stats.

barroldinho and Gilma1990 repped this.
  7. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Do more.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  8. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Pogba will learn. Not just to be more influential over 90 minutes. He will learn to be a complete player. We need to stop selling him short.

Happy Birthday!

Jose is right people are jealous of him. Why else would they criticize him for irrelevant things like his hair cut, his dancing and his active social media standing?

barroldinho and sdotsom repped this.
  9. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  10. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    this is reason why 'ratings' should always be taken with a teaspoon of sugar.

herrera has been far better than pogba this year. not even in the same class bracket.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  11. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I posted it for the stats in general.

The only stat that's higher for Kante is his passing percentage and that can be accounted for by the fact that Pogba's role requires him to make higher risk passing attempts, as reflected in his key passes and through-balls stats.

Herrera - the closer of the two to Kante's role - has (as Syed pointed out) far better stats and is contributing significantly more on the attacking end and is on par defensively with slightly fewer tackles per game and more interception.

Both United players are actually making significantly more passes per game on average, which also adds a bit more weight to their success rates than Kante's.

12. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The setup is failing the midfield, I do not why we tend to use a 2 man midfield. Also there are no outlets for our midfield, take Martial out and we have nothing. The whole RW is an empty block.

barroldinho repped this.
  13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    :ROFLMAO:

14. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'd like to the stats on games where Carrick, Herrera, Pogba and Miki have all started, which I'm guessing is only about 10-12 games. Goals scored, big chances created, total percentage possession, total passes...probably a pretty decent number.

Returning to the obvious, our problem this season has been poor finishing, which includes Pogba's poor finishing as well. Clean that up to an acceptable standard where in second or third place at worst and suddenly there isn't as much hand-wringing over the play of our midfielders.

(Ashur, mancunian says hello!)

barroldinho repped this.
  15. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    When we were on our good run a few weeks back the pundits were falling over themselves in praise of Pogs and his performances and assists for Ibra etc.

We have a few poor games as a team and suddenly the same "experts" write off his season as he is an easy target.

Just the same old lazy, short-term, ABU, London-centric, grand-standing to the uninformed masses journalism we have seen for decades.

barroldinho, benni... and Ashur repped this.
  16. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think he's declined over the last 2 months. Could be tiredness. Could be pressure. I don't know, but he's strength on the ball, and confidence going forward seems to have deserted him..especially over the last few games.

17. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fatigue has indeed gotten to Pogs. He's young and in fantastic condition, but he needs a break. Not sure when he's gonna get it though.

18. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We don't have the personnel to play a three man midfield consistently. Carrick can't play every game and the quality in that position drops off a cliff when you look at who's on the bench.

jeff070 repped this.
  19. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We can try Blind ?

Gilma1990 repped this.
  20. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Remember when I said that in the match thread against Rostov and you were like but he is young and everything.

sdotsom and barroldinho repped this.
  21. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree he should be given a chance there. I think he'd do well enough that a rotation of him and Carrick would work. But Jose seems to think he's best used as a LB even though he's exposed there because he's slower than dirt.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  22. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'd love this. It isn't perfect but it is far better than the 2 man shit heap we get.

barroldinho and Gilma1990 repped this.
  23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the sake of Pogba alone and have him deployed in his favoured role, it would be worth it. And that's even before we get to what Blind could provide in that role with his passing and vision as well.

24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it appears to be a hamstring for Pogba. Best case scenario, he's out 10 days to 2wks and at the other end of the spectron, could be up to a month depending how severe it is.
    The silver lining I guess is that he'll be getting that much needed rest he's needed. But it really should come as no surprise at all: he looked tired and today his muscle let him know as well...

25. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't recall that but I'll take your word for it.

Pogba is "young and everything" but he's not Superman. His minutes need to be monitored closely like everyone else. A game off would do him wonders.