Ifab meeting

Discussion in 'Referee' started by bothways, Mar 2, 2019.

1. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they’ve lost sight of the fact that laws are changed due to an ACTUAL need for change. Not just as a result of nonsense complaining.

This is truly disheartening and is further making me question how an organization like NFHS somehow managed to have their sh*t together better than the highest governing body of the most popular sport in the world.

2. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    So in the U-littles, or even in MLS as I saw it happen there once, if a goal kick goes over the goal line without leaving the penalty area, it is now a corner kick?

3. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I haven't really digested the handling stuff yet.

If the ball was last touched in the PA before play is stopped, it is (Well, will be soon) a DB to the GK in the PA.

4. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    of course. The only reason it was ever retaken was that it was not in play.

5. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    The teaching by FIFA as of September (or so) brings this in line with what UEFA has been doing for the last ~18 months.

If a player slides, then the support arm (and ONLY when used for support) is not considered deliberate handling. But an arm not being used for support? That is deliberate handling still... if outside of the body, that is.

(PS: That's a summary, it's a bit more detailed than that, but gist)

usaref repped this.
  6. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The latter.

Halfway down page 13 explains this. If the ball is in the penalty area when play is stopped or the ball was last touched in the penalty area before play was stopped, the ball goes to the defensive goalkeeper.

The next line then says, "in all other cases..." So the ball being in or last played in the penalty area trumps everything else.

I think you're pointing out that if an attacker is 17 yards from goal, passes it outside the penalty area slightly, and a dropped ball is required before the ball is touched again, the restart is a dropped ball to the defensive goalkeeper. Again, solid solid planning by the IFAB.

7. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one seems a little unnecessary.

Law 14 - Penalty Kick

"The ball must be stationary on the penalty mark and the goalposts, crossbar and goal net must not be moving."

So does that mean we can't take a penalty kick if it is a really windy day and the wind is causing the net to move. ;););)

8. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I actually like this change. It's designed to prevent goalkeepers from shaking and hanging on the crossbar.

9. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well yeah but do we blow the whistle while the circus act is going on now anyway. Not that I’ve seen.

They could have easily just said hanging from the cross bar is a cautionable offense if that’s all they wanted to stop.

10. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    And we all know that IFAB is good at saying things clearly to really mean what they want things to mean. o_O:rolleyes:

voiceoflg repped this.
  11. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Silly me, whatever was I thinking.

12. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So after years of retaking free kicks that don’t leave the area and having players look at me like I’m crazy, now I get to let a free for all happen and players will complain when the other team poaches a goal kick. Got it!

13. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, pretty much what MR said.

14. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've gotta go to a game so I've only glanced at it, but holy **** there are some huge changes in there.

15. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    You know what's funny? It seems that NFHS is bringing their rules in line with IFAB, whereas IFAB is bringing the rules now to NFHS standard... with the dropped ball to the player last in possession for example or showing cards to the coaches.

16. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    So how do these changes work with the build-out line?

AremRed, JeffG, voiceoflg and 1 other person repped this.
  17. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    My guess is build out line rules won't change as they already override the laws for goal kicks.

EDIT: Unless you meant with the dropped ball to the keeper thing...

18. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    The coin toss too.

19. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    and if it is broke (backpass rule), brake it some more.

20. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I read the handling thing three times and I have no idea what they mean.

21. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    They may need to tweak the BOL, which allows opponents to cross the BOL when the ball is in play on a GK--letting them in when the ball is kicked may not make the BOL PDI work as well.

I think it is going to need some thought in 12U where the BOL is no longer there.

That's going backwards--until the first great rewrite teams could choose to kick off. (Though, mysteriously, the first great rewrite also changed from choosing goal to defend to choosing goal to attack.)

22. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Well at least it's clear that the proper response to "Handball ref!" is no longer "No! Not deliberate!" but is now "No! Not a handball offence!"

voiceoflg repped this.
  23. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I think it is going to take me years to stop saying "not deliberate" . . . saying not an offence has so much less impact--it does nothing to explain/educate. :(

24. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    Obviously they've played a lot of "kick the coach" (with the ball) in practice. ;)

I'm glad there's at least some sort of exception allowed for games that need it. I also understand the potentially serious issues that can result from it. Also particularly interested in how no-added-time-allowed travel tournaments with fields all crammed together decide to address it.

But, the time saved from making subs exit at boundaries can be used on managing the 1m wall thing :D.

Yeah, just like HS. No biggie.

I do hope USSF offers something on that under its PDI, especially for lower-level/Rec U11/12 9v9... it'll get ugly.

Will have to re-read 2019-20 changes later... several were already trying to ingrain themselves in my head... don't need that with Spring season about to start.

voiceoflg repped this.
  25. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Well then, "No! Not a handling offence in the opinion of the referee under the recently amended Laws of the Game!"

SouthernYank repped this.