Ifab meeting

Discussion in 'Referee' started by bothways, Mar 2, 2019.

1. SCV-Ref

SCV-Ref Member

Spurs
    Australia
    Feb 22, 2018
    Was it because that word "deliberate" can be quite subjective?

2. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this case yes. In most other circumstances the laws only mean deliberate to refer to the actions taken rather than the desired result.

There are some that would claim referees need to have such certainty that the ball was meant for the keeper it borders on precognition.

3. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Only slightly, possibly off topic. Did IFAB update the Futsal LotG at the AGM? Or is that something that's done in another session?

Waiting for various updates to get Futsal to catch up to the "regular" LotG.

4. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    In my case it had more to do with the old iron triangle in the ATR, which was official at the time but is no more.

cinepro and SCV-Ref repped this.
  5. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Which was part of the beauty of the triangle--it clearly limited deliberate to the kick itself (and it isn't that hard to tell if a kick goes where the kicker intended) and left out the "did he mean it to go to the GK?" part. The language of the Law was susceptible to either interpretation--and still is. The referee in the US Women's game against England essentially used the triangle in calling the IFK tht gave rise to an England goal.

SCV-Ref repped this.
  6. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    They don't do the Futsal LotG at the AGM. Beach Soccer and Futsal go through a different process entirely. They're both "goverened" by IFAB's technical committees (in theory), but the Laws over the last number of years are (for all intents and purposes) written and published by FIFA.

Now, with IFAB becoming its own separate organization, etc... that may change. TBD.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  7. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, even worse then I expected! Thanks so much IFAB. I’ll give my opinions on them individually later.

8. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Is what a joke?

Which part in particular?

10. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I swear Jose Mourinho must have written the part about what constitutes a yellow card and red card for coaches/technical staff.

Some of the changes are just recipes for disaster.

Allowing quick restarts for yellow and red cards? Now teams will have to commit two yellow card offenses to stop a promising attack. Yellow card for the foul and then yellow card for kicking the ball away to prevent the quick restart.

No other sport stops play for the ball hitting the referee. Not basketball, not football, but soccer decides to go that route. Nightmare!

11. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In alphabetical order and focused on the summary document ...

So all play stopped inside the penalty area for a dropped ball results in the goalkeeper getting the ball no matter what? Let's see... an inadvertent whistle with the attacking team just about to score results in... the other team's goalkeeper getting the ball. Solid planning. Good start to this document.

This is obviously somewhat fanciful, but the new dropped ball procedures technically create an incentive to play the ball off the referee. If a team plays the ball deliberately off the referee and the other team touches it, the team that played the ball off the referee automatically regains possession with a 4.5 yard buffer. To be clear, I don't foresee this really happening but when we're dealing with Law changes I'm not sure why you'd make this the change.

Also, it took me a second to wrap my head around the idea that a dropped ball would be awarded if the ball touches the referee and possession changes OR an attacking opportunity is created. The "or" means that if a member of Team A plays a through ball and it touches the referee but continues on to a teammate from Team A for an attacking opportunity... we need to stop play for a dropped ball. Wonderful. Great job, IFAB!

Have fun enforcing the 1m wall thing, everyone. Particularly for free kicks close to the penalty area. Also the nature of IFKs at the top of the goal area just changed.

The yellow card for even canceled goals is interesting. Not complaining about that one, but it's going to be very special when a player gets a 2CT for a goal that he didn't actually score.

Really love the explanation under handling for "Greater clarity is needed for handball..." Totally jives with the preceding two paragraphs.

Kick-off. Fine, whatever. We can go back to what it was 20 years ago.

The quick free kick thing seems like a nightmare waiting to happen. On yellow cards, whatever--I don't like it, but fine. But didn't we just go through a change two years ago when the IFAB said you had to stop play to issue a red card if you've applied advantage (once that advantage ended or the player touched the ball). Now we've created a situation where the IFAB wants us to not pull the red card when there is a stoppage so that a team can take a quick free kick. Huh?

And the substitution thing... so a player MUST leave the field at the nearest point except when the referee says he doesn't have to for four different reasons plus "et cetera." Wonderful. Way to really make this objective and put teeth into the change. So now we're going to have referees, at least at the professional level, very often ignore this change and/or make (likely deserved) exceptions. But then when a referee does enforce this and cautions a player... that will be fun. Added bonus... IFAB doesn't seem to realize that UB and DR are two different types of misconduct. But why should the people in charge of writing and changing the Laws understand that?

Still don't like the cards for non-players, but I've probably written more than enough on that.

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    80% of the document.

13. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everybody get those brains working because the hunt for loopholes and exploits to the laws is about to get much easier based on the new wording. :(

14. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And seriously, can we just say players can pass the ball to their keeper and have them handle it at this point because with this new law change we might as well.

15. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    If the goalkeeper attempts to ‘clear’ (release into play) a throw-in or deliberate kick from a team-mate but the ‘clearance’ fails, the goalkeeper can then handle the ball

Seriously?

16. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Why even have it be an offence anymore.

17. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

If we all write to IFAB and say “don’t worry, you’ll still get paid even if you don’t make things worse” maybe they’ll stop.

18. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Pass the Advil, please . . . .

19. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I did a U8 Academy game Saturday and I think I got hit eight times. But that's OK, because I noticed that U8 players seem to love dropped ball restarts.

voiceoflg repped this.
  20. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    585D88C9-846E-4B75-BBFA-AC83BDA86330.png

Dayton Ref and Rufusabc repped this.
  21. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Well, they're out of luck--DBs are to a single player now. :eek::confused::mad: Yup, two players actively contesting for the ball and you stop for an injury or a ball from another field bouncing into them, you get to decide which player last touched it and drop it only to that payer. WTF. (Speaking of WTF, U8 Academy?? But I digress.)

IFAB has completely abandoned the idea of the laws as concepts and we keep drilling deeper into the "what if" and needing to have it specifically written down.

22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. These are rules, they aren't Laws.

23. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Oh. So it's basically kinda sorta the HS/college IFK but it's a dropped ball? Huh.

WTF that I did one, or WTF that there is such a thing as U8 Academy? (Both good questions ...)

24. Rocinante

Rocinante Member

Oct 9, 2018
    Two questions:

1. I heard advice in the past that a player performing a slide tackle should be punished for deliberate handling if the ball hit their arm that's being used to balance/support the slide. The logic being that they deliberately put themselves into the slide. Do you think that advice would still hold now with the exception for "if a player is falling?" I would think we could still consider that deliberate handling.

2. What happens when the ball is cleared out of the penalty area by an attacking player into the field and then play has to be stopped for a dropped ball? Does the dropped ball go to the attacker in the penalty area (because that was the last player to play it) or does it revert back to the defending goal keeper because it's in the penalty area?