If God Played Football He'd be Modric - The Luka Godric Worship Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Shay Z, May 29, 2018.

1. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
    #301 Drouchk, Sep 1, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    I personally don’t like the “best ever “ label when it comes to rating players ,unless the rating is done per specific position/role, for example the likes of R9, CR and Raul aren’t better players than Redondo, Modric or Zidane , they are amazing at their job which is to score goals but they can’t dictate games like those midfielders do and vice versa; the latter 3 also aren’t better players than Hierro, Ramos or Karanka because they can’t secure the back line.
    Maybe I’m nitpicking but I’m more comfortable labeling CR as our greatest “goal scorer” ever instead of “player “, the latter just doesn’t sound right in mind.

Digital repped this.
  2. Marco25

Marco25 Member

Sep 1, 2018
    I agree with some of what you're saying but he never really needed Madrid to boost his profile or to win awards or give him a platform for success. He left Man U when they were at the pinnacle, with him winning everything both collectively and individually in consecutive years. If he had remained he would have won premier league upon premier league as the season immediately after his departure, they finished 1 point behind champions Chelsea, the season after that they won the league again and made the CL final, season after that one, they lost out on the premier league on goal difference. Having Ronaldo in those sides would've easily swung any of those misfortunes in their favour. Fact remains, he joined Madrid when the club was in a bad phase and sacrificed some years of silverware helping the club reach the top again. It was always his dream to join madrid so he would've arrived no matter what. But he was already the most popular athlete in the world when he arrived as evidenced by the amount of people that went to his unveiling and playing in the premier league (the most watched league) where players far below his level get overhyped would mean they would be worshipping him especially with no Messi as direct rival. Eventually, he reaped more choosing to join Madrid but that was mostly post-prime as during his prime - in the initial years he won much less than he would've if he remained. Also, For his 311 la liga goals he only has like 2 titles to show for it.

3. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    #303 YOUNGSTARS87, Sep 1, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    You can say this about all of our legends. All of them were necessities which built our club's legend but the club got as much frlm them as they got from the club.

Digital repped this.
  4. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Changing the topic

Why is JL still keeping him on the bench?

Seems to me he should have already recovered from the world cup play.

5. S1na

S1na Member+

Real Madrid
    Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Keeping him for bigger matches maybe. He is aging and his minutes should be managed while we are experimenting the life after him.

Shay Z, Deep Pal and YOUNGSTARS87 repped this.
  6. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    I don`t see how being born in Madrid would change people`s perception of him. It is all about his shitty character.

To bad honestly. If he would be able to offer more balanced personality with substantially lesser amount of grandiose behavior it would make many things much more easier.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  7. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    We have people who are championed in club history for kicking and stomping players... and we have Pepe who was demonized for doing half of that.

The latter didn't have the benefit of being born Spanish.

Let's not fool ourselves.

Shay Z repped this.
  8. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Agreed, always a two way street was the main point I was trying to get across, not singling out Ronaldo, he just happened to be the topic at the moment but yes both club and player benefit

9. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    Well shit man. It seems all that observed shitting on Ramos in last decade - who is Spanish the last time i have checked, is just figment of my imagination.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  10. Vector-SS

Vector-SS Member+

Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ronaldo must have cried himself to sleep that night with Mendes right next to him providing back rubs.

He knows very well that there is a good chance he won't win the Balon D'or and in return, won't be pipping Messi for the most Balon D'or trophies ever won. This to him, to say the least, is significant.

It's actually amusing to see this unfold and I can't wait for Modric to win to watch the ensuing meltdown.

Shay Z, Umar and J-Mezzy repped this.
  11. azriel

azriel Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    San Diego, USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  12. gladiator guti

gladiator guti Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    That's a weak side of Ronaldo which is really odd for the guy who has won just about everything in his career yet he is still feeling insecure. You would think he jumps off the cliff if Modric won the d'Or later this year.

Lyra repped this.
  13. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    It must have been imagined because most of that was coming from foreigners and their media not the club and its fans.

I hope you can see the difference.

14. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    But in case of CR7 its the opposite? Most of shitting came from club and domestic / foreign fans, while international community was writing epochs about him? o_O

In reality, it is not about him being Portuguese. It is all about his character. The same character which prevented him of showing support to Luka Modrić for achievement which is definitely deserved.

15. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Fans of the club have given him a hard time. From the beginning he was never fully "accepted". Same goes for Benzema, Bale.. Modric was hated. Then you have players like Isco who no matter how pointless or redundant he can be is always given a free pass.

Look I'm not going to argue an obvious point like this. If you honestly think Spanish or even homegrown players are treated the same as foreigners I'm just wasting my time.

robnycus repped this.
  16. Marco25

Marco25 Member

Sep 1, 2018
    Being SPANISH really does influence the perception of a player at a SPANISH club. It's the same way an English player at an English club will be more rated or liked than a player from a foreign country at the very same club that isn't any less talented.

YOUNGSTARS87 repped this.
  17. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Exactly.

In the EPL they label the foreigners as divers and are quick to point them out as cheats... then ignore Harry Maguire and Kane dives because those there are "proper footballers".

18. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Ok folks, can we keep the Cristiano stuff out of here. It's already in the CL thread, so let's keep it there.

CR7PT, Ahmadi8 and J-Mezzy repped this.
  19. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    I think there is always certain amount of "tribalism" present. Hell even we foreigners are wet on the idea of "home grown" Spanish players. Right? But the point being is, that you are highly exaggerating it to the point of being hyperbole.

Secondly. In case of players i will offer example based on Modrić. You say Modrić was hated". Not Spanish and shit, right? Well is he "hated" now? No, he is loved. And shit, he is not Spanish. Gee i wonder why?

Maybe CR7 should do some reflection, hop on a plane and support his teammate who instrumental for the success, instead of acting like a child through his proxy`s?

20. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Isco probably would have been sold by now if he wasn’t Spanish..
    However I do agree that Cristiano’s hideous personality is the main reason why a ton of people dislike him.

21. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    Isco was not sold because he is fckin disco. Not because he is Spanish. Dumbass!

Eh.

22. CivilProtection

CivilProtection Member+

Jul 6, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Back rubs... I think I finally cracked the code, it's tied to the fact that, for every Ballon that the midget has got, Cristiano has one child to show for.

He wasn't unhappy because Modric won it, but because of the "you were supposed to be a back rub" moment that'll follow, in 9 months or so.

23. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Isco would have probably left the club for a more lucrative contract in England or France if he wasn't Spanish.

PigBenis, Halycon, Drouchk and 1 other person repped this.
  24. gladiator guti

gladiator guti Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    Cristiano Ronaldo, Mohamed Salah and Luka Modric: Finalists for 'The Best' 2018.

25. gladiator guti

gladiator guti Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    Hopefully Luka wins it, it's hilarious to see Mendez pops a vein.

Shay Z, YOUNGSTARS87, S1na and 3 others repped this.