Ideal pairings in CCL?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by vargasv71, May 19, 2012.

1. vargasv71

vargasv71 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    california
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine this were a perfect world, and the best possible pairings at the group stage occurred in CCL. What would these pairings be in your opinion? Feel free to even invent teams and scenarios for CCL...as long as its reasonable it fulfilling its mission. My scenario involves inviting 2 Colombians teams. Hey, there's probably more Colombian players in MLS than in the Colombian anyway, so its a natural fit. And the country is about as far as Panama. Here's my scenario involving 4 groups of 4 (yes, i know its now changed).
    1. NYRB
    America de Cali
    PR Islanders
    Saprissa

2. Chivas (Guad)
    Club America
    LA Galaxy
    Alianza FC

3. Ft. Lauderdale Strikers (in my scenario they're a MLS team)
    Millionarios
    Cruz Azul
    Real Estelli

4. San Jose Quakes
    Monterrey
    Marathon
    Municipal

2. MattWoodworth

MattWoodworth New Member

May 20, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA Galaxy with either Guadalajara or America because it's the only way their "fans in the states" can watch them.With that said the competition will just become more prestigious to them.

LA Galaxy and Guadalajara is possible in this coming season though.

3. vargasv71

vargasv71 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    california
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, I take back my suggestion of 2 teams from Colombia. Lets get serious. What this thread was meant to discuss was: in what team-pairing scenarios does the competition gain excitement? Since CCL is still in its infancy (yes, I know it began in 62), I say it should explore building excitement by relying on intense rivalries that already exist, such as putting America and Chivas in the same group. Which others would also help? perhaps Aguila & FAS in same group? out of DC or LA? I guess the biggest crowds would occur if Galaxy were paired with America/Chivas/FAS/Aguila all in the same group. Maybe I overestimate the following of the el salvadoran teams. Islanders are great, but I'm not sure putting them w/Redbulls, if they had qualified, wouldve drawn a crowd

4. MattWoodworth

MattWoodworth New Member

May 20, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teams from the same nation can not be put in the same group.But now wouldn't the rivalries be more intense if they happened in the knockout rounds?Also the later rounds are known to attract more crowds.If NY had qualified and they got drawn with The Islanders,it would have attracted a crowd considering New York's Puerto Rican population.

5. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    U.S. teams and Mexican teams in the same group!!!!!!!!!!!

because that would be the fair and logical thing to do :rolleyes:

6. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Toronto getting another shot at Santos Laguna is a pretty good match, probably get tonked again but they should keep it a bit more respectable this time out.

7. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Santos is pretty awesome man......H. Gomez is the starting stiker for the yank nt and he is a bench warmer at Santos Laguna!

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is our Chicharito Hernandez lol!