Iain Ramsay with Philippine national football team

Discussion in 'Aussies Abroad' started by Pelefan, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Iain Ramsay to Make His Debut with the Philippine Azkals for World Cup Qualifiers

One of the newest member of the Philippine Azkals who will be making a debut in the upcoming 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifying Rounds is a well-known football player based in Australia named Iain Ramsay. The Fil-Aussie footbaler last played for Melbourned City in the Australian A-League.

The 27-year-old Iain Ramsay previously played for Sydney FC, Sydney Olympic and Adelaide United, although he is eligible to play or represent Australia and Scotland, he decided to play for his mother’s homeland, the Philippines.

Iain Ramsay will join new recruits who played internationally and will be playing for the first time as member of the Philippine Azkals. The Fil-Aussie footballer will join the likes of Kevin Ingreso, Stephan Palla and Luke Woodland.

As an Australian based football player, Iain Ramsay was honored as Adelaide Rising Star Award during the 2010-11 season and named as Hyunadai A-League Fastest Player during the 2011-2012 season.

The Australian-based footballed was called up to the Philippine national football team who are making every effort to form the most talented Azkals squad so far in the history of the Azkals. The Philippines is scheduled to face 108th-ranked Bahrain which will be held at the Philippine Sports Stadium in Bulacan.

During an earlier interview with the Sydney Morning Hearald, Iain Ramsay noted that his interest to play for the Philippines has a very personal touch, for both his past and future. For the past few years, the Philippine Football Federation have invited Ramsay to play for the Azkals but only recently he made his commmitment to wear the national colors.

http://pinoysportsnews.com/2015/05/28/iain-ramsay-to-make-his-debut-with-the-philippine-azkals-for-world-cup-qualifiers/

2. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #2 Pelefan, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    [​IMG]

First Look: Iain Ramsey
    Straight from the airport to RMS to report for duty and check out and meet the other guys at training. Notice the logo on the shirt. It says "We Believe WC 2018".

3. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Honeymoon on hold as new recruit Ramsay beefs up Azkals

The honeymoon would have to wait for Iain Ramsay.

One week after getting married, the highly-regarded midfielder arrived in Manila for the training camp of the Philippine Azkals who are preparing for the World Cup Qualifiers.

The Fil-Australian has long been in the radar of Azkals manager Dan Palami but it wasn’t until early this year when Ramsay who traces his roots in Pampanga finally committed to the Azkals.

And to show his commitment to the national team’s cause, Ramsay immediately flew to Manila just a week after his wedding.

“It’s a nice feeling to be married but going to camp is part and parcel of being a footballer,” he said. “You can’t plan ahead but my wife and mother will be here next week to support the team against Bahrain.”

Ramsay said he made it a point to come to camp early as he was among four newcomers in the team.

“I’m glad I’m able to come to camp early,” he said before joining his teammates in training at Rizal Memorial Stadium Wednesday. “It gives me time to get to know my teammates and adapt to the weather.”

Known for his pace and trickery, Ramsay is one of the most talented players in the Australian League.

“I’m a very direct player. I can play on the wings. I can bring pace,” he said. “I have been following the team for some time and the team is getting stronger each year. It’s a great time for me to get involved and help in the qualifiers.”

Read more: sports.inquirer.net/183036/honeymoon-on-hold-as-new-recruit-ramsay-beefs-up-azkals

4. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    That is a very generous description of Ramsay in that article. "Ramsay is one of the most talented players in the Australian League."
    Seeing that Ramsay hasn't been in Melbourne City's starting line-up since February, a better description would be "Ramsay is a fringe player with his Australian Club and is probably playing for his professional career".
    He has actually been released by Melbourne City at the end of the season and is currently clubless.

5. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #5 Pelefan, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    Yes, the description is a little too generous especially today, although he was considered a promising player in the A league in the past when he was much younger. He apparently has been released by his club and is looking to move to Asia.

"Ramsay has all the time to focus on the national team after he was released by his club, Melbourne City, last month.

“I’m pretty open to try something new,” he said, referring to his pro career. “ You see a lot of boys moving to Asia and I definitely look at that as an option as well. I’m not sure as of the moment, but in these next few weeks I’ll know what I’m doing.”

“My focus and commitment at the moment is to do well for the Azkals,” he was quick to add. “I just want to help the team as much as I can and work hard for us to qualify (to the next round).”

Read more at www.spin.ph/football/azkals/news/iain-ramsay-filipino-australian-winger-philippines-pampanga

Since he seems to be good at providing assists from the left wing, Ramsay should be helped by having some in form teammates with the Philippines who can finish in goal. One of their strikers, Javier Patino now has 6 goals in 11 games for Henan Jianye in the Chinese Super League in his debut season this year, after scoring after scoring 35 goals in 54 games with Buriram United in the Thai Premier League previously, ahead of former Australian star Tim Cahill who only has 1 goal in 8 appearances in the CSL so far this season.

If Ramsay can't find a club in a higher level league in Asia, I am sure a club in the Philippine's top tier, will be willing to offer him a contract, which would make him available for the national squad more often.

6. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    “I feel now is the right time for me to play international football,” Iain Ramsay declared while in attendance at the LGR Azkals’ kit launch last Wednesday evening at the Sparta Sports Complex in Mandaluyong. In doing so, the 27-year-old opted to represent the Philippines despite being eligible to play for Australia and Scotland—the place of his father’s origin.

The A-League veteran is among the four new players named by Thomas Dooley in his 23-man squad for the Asian Football Confederation’s 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers. In an interview, Ramsay stated that he can’t wait to help the Filipinos progress into the third round. “I’m very excited, very honoured, and privileged to be here to represent the Azkals. I’m very happy to be here,” he stated. Ramsay is also feeling ecstatic to make his Filipino side of the family proud and representing more than a hundred million more people only gets him more pumped up.

Ramsay began training with the squad since Tuesday and has had a few little concerns with getting himself accustomed in the punishing tropical climate. “It really has taken a bit to get used to. I mean, it’s so hot and humid here, but I’m glad I’ve come early to because I’ve been able to acclimatise,” the Australian-based player also assessed. While getting himself used to the heat that is contrasting the autumn in the Southern Hemisphere at the moment, Ramsay also met his new teammates who share the same mission of making football a bigger sport in the Philippines. Having only spent less than a week in the country, the Perth-born wingback has been spending time to familiarize himself with his new teammates “It’s all about trying to jell into a great team we have a lot of a really good individuals. I’ve been very impressed so far with the playing group and we just trying to jell and play well for the game against Bahrain.”

In 2010, Ramsay made a debut in the A-League for Sydney FC. He went on to play for two other top-flight teams in Adelaide United and his latest club Melbourne City FC, an affiliate of Premier League club Manchester City. It was also in that year when Ramsay grabbed the attention of Philippine football officials who immediately sought for his approval to play with the Azkals. Ramsay, however, still weighed his options—a move that took five years in the making. “I had really a good breakout season in my first year and there was a lot of talk surrounding me with the Socceroos,” he stated. It was no secret that Ramsay had his eyes on representing Australia. As time passed by with no international football lined up for him, Ramsay made the decision of representing a team he is eligible to by virtue of his mother. “I’ve been fortunate that the Azkals have been following me throughout my career. I just can’t wait to represent the Azkals and represent the country and my first game,” he added.

Approaching his debut, Ramsay thinks the Azkals’ fans should expect him to be a determined member of the roster who uses his flair and speed to terrorize opponents particularly along the left side of the pitch. “ play with a 100% commitment. I have a lot of pace I’m a direct player. I love to score goals and I also like to create,” Ramsay described himself.

tiebreakertimes.com/tbt/ramsay-believes-now-right-time-azkal/26922

7. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Iain Ramsay opened up his account with the Philippine national football team as he played 90 minutes in the Azkal's 2-1 victory over Bahrain. He played well with his pace and passing ability providing a constant threat on the left side of the pitch against their middle eastern opponents.

Next up Yemen in Doha, Qatar on June 16.

el-capitano repped this.
  8. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
  9. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
  10. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Ramsay played 90 minutes and scored a goal in the Philippines 2-0 win over Yemen. The Philippines are now on top of group H along with North Korea with 2 wins each.

11. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Ramsay scored today against Yemen. Not bad for a fringe player. ;)

12. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    He's a decent enough player, but he tends to disappear- the consistency is not there- and you can see by the end of his time with City he was a fringe player for them- hence why he got released. Its a fair enough description. ;)

thewitness repped this.
  13. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    That may be. His goal actually was served on a silver platter on an assist, by our man of the match Javier Patino. Nevertheless he has played decent for the Azkals with his pace and creativity causing problems on the left side of the pitch for our opponents. Hopefully he keeps this up. Uzbekistan next.

thewitness and el-capitano repped this.
  14. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    I should have posted this sydney morning herald article prior to the wc qualifiers:

As recently as two years ago, Iain Ramsay was eyeing the Socceroos' troublesome left fullback spot as the national team went through a transitional period before the Ange Postecoglou revolution. But this week, the Sydney-born winger is expected to make his international debut for the Philippines, the nation of his mother.

It comes more than four years after the former Melbourne City flyer first appeared on the radar of the ambitious Azkals, who have surged up the FIFA rankings since beginning their policy of recruiting foreign talent of Filipino descent.

In their opening 2018 World Cup qualifiers, the Azkals host Bahrain in Manila on Thursday before travelling to neutral territory in Doha to play Yemen on June 16.

[​IMG]
    Philippines fillip: Iain Ramsay. Photo: Getty Images

Ramsay, 27, is predicted to feature in the 23-man squad, with more than half the players born outside the Philippines, in countries like Germany, Spain, Denmark and England. The converts include the poster boy of Filipino football, Phil Younghusband, the 70-cap striker was once a junior at English champions, Chelsea.

"It wasn't an easy decision, but I have made my mind up to play for the Philippines and I'm 100 percent committed," Ramsay told ESPN FC. "[Coach] Thomas Dooley has been in touch with me for some time now, eager to get me to play for the Azkals. I've followed the team now for the past two years, with their results and recruitments, and I feel now is the right time for me to represent them."

Ramsay arrived in Manila last week just as his A-League contract with Melbourne City was expiring. He says that he's not worried about his club future with several Asian teams expressing interest. Indeed, he'll be very much in the shop window during the AFC second round World Cup qualifying matches. Just like his Australian contemporaries Brendan Gan (Malaysia) and Kaz Patafta (Laos) - all born within an eight month span - Ramsay has accepted that his best chance of international honours lay outside of his homeland.

His mother was born in Pampanga, north of Manila, and arrived in Australia more than a quarter of a century ago at the age of 30. Ramsay had previously visited the Philippines several times but doesn't speak the national language of Tagalog. It shouldn't be a much of a disadvantage though. Azkals manager Dooley is a former United States international, and new teammates Luke Woodland - a former England U18 striker - and ex-Swindon Town junior Mark Hartmann, are two of seven in the squad who speak English as their native tongue.

For the third straight time, the Philippines made the last four of December's AFF Suzuki Cup before losing a keenly contested semifinal over two legs to eventual champions, Thailand. After several years as Southeast Asia's highest ranked FIFA nation, they are currently the region's second best at 137 - behind Vietnam at 124 - which is above the Thais as well as the likes of Singapore, Malaysia and New Zealand.

As a new addition to the Azkals, Ramsay will provide speed and directness. Skilful, strong and an excellent athlete, the former Sydney FC junior should have no trouble fitting in to Dooley's combative squad. "I can offer a lot to the Azkals, on the attacking side of the team, as a player who likes to score goals and create goals," he said. "I believe with the squad that Thomas Dooley and the coaching staff have put together, we can cause some major upsets and create some surprises."

Philippines, who have never gone close to World Cup qualification, are in a difficult group that also includes Uzbekistan and North Korea. The eight group winners and the four best second-placed sides will advance to the third round of AFC qualifying for Russia 2018.

Playing the 2014-15 A-League season with the so-called United Nations of Melbourne City may turn out to be the perfect preparation for entering the melting pot of Filipino football. "Being able to learn from [former World Cup stars] David Villa, Robert Koren and Damien Duff at Melbourne City was great," Ramsay said. "But my best memories of the A-League were with my previous club Adelaide United, playing Asian Champions League football."

It was during Ramsay's three years with the Reds where he was touted as a possible future Australia international, scoring 13 goals in all competitions, including a brace in a comeback victory in 2010 over Sydney FC.

Four years earlier, Ramsay had tried his luck in Europe as a 17-year-old after securing a junior contract with Scottish club, Gretna FC. Just to add another layer to the former Bossley Park High School student: his father was born in Dunblane.

While the Scottish and Australian chapters have helped mould the man, Ramsay is adamant that the Philippines is where his future is most rosy. He will wear the national number seven shirt of James Younghusband - Phil's elder brother - a right winger was surprisingly left out of the latest squad. James is another pin-up boy who enjoys national celebrity status with more than 180,000 followers on Twitter and Instagram.

"I originally heard of the two brothers through my Mum and her sisters," he said. "They have done so much, along with other players, to put the Azkals on the football map. Training in the new Philippine Sports Stadium, the experience has been great and I'm looking forward to my first game against Bahrain. I feel honoured and privileged to represent the Philippines at international level.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...afc-world-cup-qualifying-20150611-ghlh5t.html

15. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #15 Pelefan, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    In the FFT Australia article, it was mentioned that with the change of coach in Sydney FC from John Aloisi to John van ’t Schip, he was moved to an unfamiliar position as left back instead of his usual left mid, which apparently made it difficult for him to perform like he did previously. Maybe this was the reason he became more of a fringe player for his team:

Ramsay made 20 A-League appearances last season, many in the unfamiliar position of left-back.

He said he took a “massive gamble” by agreeing to play in defence.

“It’s a position that I’ve never really played much at all in my career, I’m known in the A-League as a winger,” Ramsay said.

“I tried hard in the pre-season to try and learn that role as quickly as I could. At times it definitely wasn’t easy. I think after the break with the Asian Cup I got only a taste of playing as a winger again and I was definitely starting to enjoy it.

“I signed under John Aloisi and then John van ’t Schip came and sometimes as a signed player before a coach comes in you’re either in the plans or you might not be in their plans so much. In my case I was happy in the end to part ways with club.

“I definitely enjoyed my time with the club but it was a massive gamble to change positions in that last year. You live and you learn I guess.”

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/ramsay-excited-international-debut#aTjh0yQoYH5KoKcv.99

In his natural position as left mid at the international level with the Azkals, he has performed as advertised.

16. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    Ramsay has decided to sign with Iranian club Tractor Sazi this season. This will give him the opportunity to participate in the Asian Champion's League next season as his club finished runnerup in the IPL 2014-15 season.

17. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It's an interesting signing. He had been trialing with A-league club Newcastle Jets until last week. But Newcastle, who are in financial trouble and finished bottom of the league last season, decided not to sign him.

18. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #18 Pelefan, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
    Acc. to the Iranian fans, the IPL clubs have been scouting the A league recently, and Tractor Sazi made an attractive offer to Iain, that prompted him to leave the Newcastle camp. The possibility of playing in the ACL was also a big incentive for Iain and would provide him a good shopwindow along with his performances on the Philippine national team to move on to better leagues. The only drawback is that Tractor
    apparently plan to use him at left back, a position he only played for the first time last year with Melbourne and which according to the FFT article above, he was not best suited for. It would be interesting to see how he adjusts to that.

19. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Honestly, I don't think he can function well in Tractor Sazi. Tractor Sazi is a team full of good players and probably can target the championship next season. Tractor Sazi managers are famous for being impatient and brutal. If he doesn't show good performance in his position, he will be on the bench for the rest of season. Tractor Sazi is a rich club and makes few dumb player selection each season which wastes money. Tractor fans are number 2 or 3 in IPL. They are very passionate and football crazy!

20. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    New Azkal Iain Ramsay admitted that his first two stints for the national team has paid dividends for his career.

The former Melbourne City FC player made his Philippine National Team dream a reality after suiting up in the first two matches of the 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers. Ramsay was also eligible to play for either Australia and Scotland — the former because it is his birthplace and the latter because it is his father’s homeland.

“It’s a privilege to play for the national team,” Ramsay said. “We have got off to a great start and in a short amount of time with a lot of new players coming into the group I think we have done really well.”

Ramsay’s second match for the Azkals was perhaps more memorable than the first. The winger scored his first international goal in the 2-0 win against Yemen.

“It was a great feeling to score my first international goal,” added Ramsay.

The attacking trio of Ramsay, Patiño, and Misagh Bahadoran — working well with Phil Younghusband — has rewarded the Azkals with four goals in the qualifiers. Ramsay hopes that they can get even better.

“We have some quality in the front third of the pitch,” Ramsay continued. “Each individual has their own strengths and if we can play to our strengths, we are a threat to any team.”

After his debut for the Azkals, Ramsay signed for Iranian top flight side Tractor Sazi FC. The winger is confident that he can contribute well to the team.

“It’s a great challenge, and it’s one I feel ready for,” said Ramsay. “I feel confident in my ability that I can help my new team have a strong season.”

The Philippines play Uzbekistan next in the 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers. The match will be a Philippine home game and will be played at the Philippine Sports Stadium in Bocaue, Bulacan on September 8, 2015.

http://football.com.ph/ramsay-we-are-a-threat-to-any-team/

21. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago
    #21 Pelefan, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
    Iain seems to have impressed in his debut with Tractor Sazi providing 2 assists. He seems to have made quite an impression especially with Tractor's fans on his instagram with plenty of fans making lots of positive comments.

https://instagram.com/p/6HaDcBE95E/

22. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If you are referring to the match against Gostaresh. Gostaresh in a weak relegation magnet. He should show consistency in more matches. We hope good luck for him if he can make it. What I said about Tractor management is right. They are very impatient.

Attendance has been in sharp decline because of para military interference in big clubs in IPL. The overall quality has become worse for past 3-4 years because of mismanagement and corruption by unqualified managers/personnel. The managers have been installed by para military. As a result, the quality of the game and fans support are gone. 4 years ago giant teams like Esteghlal, Tractor, Persepolis, Sepahan, Foolad used to bring 30k-40k fans for regular match and for famous derbies we had over 70k audience.

23. Football Asia

Football Asia Member

Oct 17, 2014
    All he said was that Iain impressed in his debut, which is true. Not sure why you have to go into a political analysis.

24. Pelefan

Pelefan Member+

Mar 17, 1999
    Chicago

[​IMG]

Attendance seems good to me. This is a post from Iain's twitter account.

Of course, it is only one match. I hope he is consistent enough to make it to the AFC Champion's League roster and make an impression there as well.

25. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    political analysis was for audience attendance. Don't you agree we had more audience back then? look at Esteghlal and Persepolis fans for example.