I told you so!

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by pookspur, Sep 11, 2015.

1. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    ok ... i'm not telling you so yet.

but it seems that every week, there's some kind of development with Spurs - usually on the pitch, but not always - which brings some 'told you' to the forefront of my conscience. the problem, though, is that I don't like when folks say that, and I can't imagine that anyone wants to hear it from me - particularly when things are going bad, which is naturally when such thoughts occur - so I usually just stick to standard issue bitching.

the next time, however, that i'm feeling the need, i'm just coming here and letting fly. and if people don't want to hear my needless assertions of foretold knowledge, they can simply ignore the thread ... y'know, like most of the other quasi-moronic ones that I've begun in this forum.

but if I told you sos work for you - whether hearing others tell you what they've already told you, or telling them what you've already told them - this is your place. and to be sure, it doesn't have to be bitching. i'd be the first to post here, "i told you Harry Kane would score 30 goals for us last year!", had I been so prescient. I'll love hearing 'nutter tell us that he told us he believed, should we ever accomplish anything of note again. Frankly, my I told you sos don't typically work that way; but if yours do, it'll make this thread just that much more bearable.

so consider this thread open for business ... and a sanctuary for all of the smugness and implications of inferiority that you care to impart upon those who failed to heed your warnings - or to have imparted upon you.

... roll on, Sunderland game ... :whistling:

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I told you all that we'd sign ('end up with' was the exact phrase, IIRC) Dembele. #ITK

4. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Gathered from some of the comments I've read about Siggy here and elsewhere. Does this count?

"Sigurdsson's going to be a good signing. He was great at Swansea."
    "Why did we sign Dempsey when we already have Siggy? This is a panic buy."
    "Why is Siggy still on the pitch? Bring on Dempsey."
    "Why is Dempsey still on the pitch? Bring on Siggy."
    "Siggy's better in the middle. Why does AVB insist on playing him on the left?"
    "Siggy's better on the left. Why does Sherwood still have a job?"
    "Swapping Siggy out is a great bit of business by the chairman. He never seemed to be settled here."
    "SIGGY IS OUTSTANDING AT SWANSEA!! WHY DID WE LET HIM GO??"

5. calmanalysis

calmanalysis Member

Aug 16, 2008
    NYC
    Siggy never looked out of place at Spurs; his issue was he was most comfortable in the number 10 position and during his time at the club we always had a star number 10 (first Bale and then Eriksen). For those advocating we should have kept him as depth, frankly he was too good to sit on our bench.

Your post sent me to YouTube -

Maybe we should have tried harder to keep him...

soccernutter, adrenaline11 and SPUR-ious repped this.
  6. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't blame the club, he was simply too good to be a bench player and just not in the same class as Bale or Eriksen to be a starter. Frankly I wish more of the players we let go were like Sigurdsson, people genuinely good rather than people that should never have been signed like Paulinho.

7. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    effing Chelsea! I told you - I fooking told you! - that when they poached Frank Arnesen it was going to set us back years. and now we know how many. 10.

we are finally being led to believe that Levy, Paul Mitchell, and Pochettino are reading from the same playbook (see: Summer Selling thread) ten years after I warned you of the potential damage done by Chelsea's meddling. Arnesen and Santini had proven how disruptive it is having a DoF and manager working at cross-purposes. and when Jol said, 'let me do it' about recruitment it became clear that he was not enamored by the prospect of working with Damien Comolli. but nooooo, Levy had to have a DoF ... well, ok, but could you at least make it one who gives two shits about who the manager will utilize effectively ... about balancing the squad? by and large, the answer has been 'no' throughout about a half-dozen combinations to date.

but now, ten years on, we are hearing that Pochettino, Mitchell, and Levy are all going to work together, pulling in the same direction. let's hope so. it was great the last time we worked like that. ten years ago.

thanks Chelsea. I told you so.

8. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you, I needed that said by someone, because it's been swirling in my head for the past 9 months or so.

9. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    signing adebayor to a permanent, long term deal, by the way ...

just sayin'.

BalanceUT repped this.
  10. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no player should more be on year to year contract than him.

11. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    posted that 3 weeks ago :)

12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Knew somebody has said it. Didn't know how far back or which thread.

13. leocal

leocal Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Fog City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :mad: Liverpool getting the best coach available in all of Europe.:mad:

Wish we could have tossed Pochetino, Klopp would have taken this club to a new level.

F***k!!!!!!!

14. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    don't sweat it. Liverpool's problems are above the coaching level. He's got challenges*.

*'challenges', by the way, is corporate speak for 'problems'.

15. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he's a good manager, but its no guarantee. look at Dortmund last season, they were bottom of the bundesliga for what - 3 or 4 months?

16. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He also needed until the third season to really work something at Dortmund, and that was before Bayern really sorted their shit out. He had two particularly great years, then it started to gradually diminish until the nightmare 2014/15.

He's certainly talented and the coach I would go for if I was them, but will be interesting to see how he copes with their squad and the challenges of this league.

17. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    ok ... i'm not sure whether or not I told you folks so - but I sure a fook told some folks so. and frankly, it wouldn't be diplomatic to remind them of it in their forum right now.

I'm not going to claim that I predicted the Arse to go out of the League Cup tonight, but I did tell theirs that if they didn't do away with Wednesday early, there would be a helluva atmosphere at Hillsborough come the hour mark. and I absolutely told them that if they thought they could stroll it, they'd be punished.

and fook me if they weren't! they didn't start too brightly, but once Wallace scored the opener, there was only going to be one winner. Wednesday pressured the ball brilliantly, and the Arse didn't get a sniff. Pinged it around nicely, too, when they had it, and it could've easily been 4 or 5.

I say it about the Lane often enough, though very seldom about anywhere else ... but I would have loved to have been at Hillsborough tonight.

SPUR-ious and soccernutter repped this.
  18. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Lewis Holtby is going to be a star, somewhere.

19. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Delli Alli will be the subject of an intense interest from English clubs come the summer.

20. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dele Alli as our breakout player this season, was clear from his first games with us.

21. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This year's Townsend, then? :D His first few games we thought he was the new Bale.

22. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I told you he wasn't.

23. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Townsend was our breakout player in 2013/14, although says more about what a poor year it was, too many bad signings and few other chances being given to the academy until Sherwood took over.

24. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think townsend would be ok in a different team/system. like under redknapp, perhaps, I think townsend woulda done well. he is a bad fit in poch's system

spurs surely will sell him in January, I would think, just given a reasonable price

he won't be the next bale, but he'll be a reasonably decent winger on a mid-table squad, I think

25. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Frankly I thought Townsend was one of the worse players I saw in spurs shirt, but you're right - he's probably good for top championship/ mid premier league team...