I like my ipod so much I'm think about buying an Apple computer

Discussion in 'Technology' started by dreamer, Nov 24, 2004.

1. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    It seems a lot of other stuff is developing on the iPod end: http://backstage.ipodlounge.com/index.php?id=P5925

With the headless iMac and the flash iPod, I guess they're now going after PC users who have been put off by the price. It's a good move - most people already have monitors and peripherals, so why make them buy the stuff all over again?

There is also speculation that the headless iMac is also meant to be used as a home theater device, esp with Apple-branded speakers (which will be Sony or Bose speakers with the Apple logo).

2. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God I'd love to see an iPhone, considering that all the rumors say it's a GSM phone there's a good chance that Cingular would carry it. Not to mention Cingular's good rapport with Motorola.

I'm glad I ditched Verizon.

3. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I'll like the iPhone more if it can do some of the basic Palm functions such as memo, address, and Zagat's. I've been saying for a long time I would really like to carry one device rather than 3, although it's doubtful that the iPhone will come in the 40-60gig size.

This thread title and the recent good performance of Apple stock make me wonder if a lot of happy iPod customers aren't going to be drawn to buying Apple computers. Even though the stock is high, might not be a bad buy.

OT - but 15" Powerbooks have a recall going on their batteries -- I just got the replacement and they are asking for the recalled battery back, but can I keep it as a replacement? Wonder if they'll hound me for it back.

4. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
    OK I'll bite.

Piper Jaffray is raving about the Halo effect (people looking at other Apple products because of the hot iPod) and put out a $100 price target on the stock the other day.

But if we still remember the $1,000 Qualcomm (QCOM) call in the bubble days we know this kind of optimism should be taken with a grain of salt. But then again there was that $400 price target Henry Blodget put on Amazon.com (AMZN) that was achieved within a couple of days. So I guess like the Mods, the analysts too could get it right once in a while. :)

5. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I had my iBook battery replaced last year (it died a natural death and was covered under warranty); they took my credit card number, sent me a new battery and a box to ship the old one in.

I imagine they'll do the same for you.

Back to the Jan 11 keynote: I'm curious about the Apple-branded speakers. I was thinking of getting a JBL dock/speaker, but I think I'll wait a couple of weeks and see whatever Apple comes out with (if the rumors are true, that is) is any good.

6. nikesoccer9000

nikesoccer9000 New Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Soverato, Calabria

yo i just have to say..that girl in your pic is soooo effing hot(off topic)

7. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well another Mac-using Mod reporting.

Couple of things: One of you mentioned MacJanitor: What is that? I'm having problems with installing updates. No idea why, but it started about two months ago.

I've been a Mac user for a long time, 1985 or so, in all that time I've only had two crashes. One litterally, when I moved to CT and my first day driving in the snow my briefcase flew off my seat when I hit the brakes and the powerbook was in there and crashed the Hard drive.

A few months ago I had another problem, but called Mac and they talked me through it for free. Was up and running in less than 2 hours.

Let me add that I have no skills, but have changed RAM in a flash.

Last thing, two of my buddies work in the aerospace industry. They love Macs and don't know why more people don't use them. They have Macs and PC's at work, but no one wants the PC's. Just not as friendly.

okay that's my bit.

Have a Happy New Year!

Last important note: Football Manager is Mac compatible, no other games needed.

8. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    You only need MacJanitor if you turn off your Mac every night. When you and your Mac are sleeping at night, the system automatically performs maintenance.
    MacJanitor is a freeware that does the same thing, but manually.

Another quick fix with OS X problems is running Repair Permissions in Disk Utilities - you should do this every time you install something, because installing stuff and making changes to your Library folder tends to confuse user permissions (read/write access etc).

Happy 2005.

9. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Skipshady. I'll google for it and grab my disk tools and do that as well. Very nice.

Happy New Year!

10. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Actually, you can just use the Disk Utility app in your Utilities folder to repair permissions.

Also, more Jan 11 speculation: Apple to unveil iWork
    This could be a nice replacement for MS Office, especially if it's compatible with Open Office.

11. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very cool. Thanks Skip.

Also what about this Iphone?

12. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Details are sketchy on the iPhone, but most rumor mongerers think it will be a smart phone made by Motorola (Motorola announced last year that they will have iTunes-enabled phones in 2005) and it'll be a phone with a personal organizer and maybe a mini-version of iPod.

13. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    http://users1.wsj.com/lmda/do/check...html?mod=technology%5Ffeatured%5Fstories%5Fhs

14. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
  15. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Finally. Apple is finally doing something right. This could be their last chance to get back in the computer market, thanks to a little toy thats like 4 X 2 X 1 and has a 20G hard drive. Who woulda thought. :)

16. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004

And it would be a wise move for the American high tech industry. The PC is already a free for all and very low margin game. Now let the Apple revolution begin, again. :)

17. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    - Apple alienating some of its core market by suing Think Secret. Though it's probably just smoke and mirrors ahead of Tuesday's keynote

- Motorola did a demo of its iTunes phone with a mockup: http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000503026441/ It seems the iPhone will look nothing like the picture in the link though.

- I was watching Access Hollywood or one of them evening entertainment shows for some reason, and Lindsay Lohan's younger sister mentioned something about filming a commercial for a "radio iPod thing". I don't know if she meant an iPod-like satelite radio player or an iPod with satelite radio (which has been rumored), but this should be interesting.

18. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay new problem. I bought Football Manager off ebay, apparently its an Asian copy. Well I can't save the game and it came with no instructions.

Any one have any ideas?

oh, I'm saving it to my backup hard drive - so I've got tons of space.

19. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I almost have enough money saved to have what I consider my best of both worlds setup: Windows desktop PC and iBook.

The Windows machine I'm putting together myself, and it's pretty much designed solely for muscle. I play a lot of games, and that's the one area where Apple machines can't hold a candle to PC's. Apple's G5 processors lag behind Intel and AMD chips in the same price range by a substantial amount, and PC's hold the edge in higher-end video cards as well.

The desktop is there for me to get my frag on. The iBook is for everything else.

20. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
    AAPL stock is going to be a big winner tomorrow. Closed today at around $65 for regular hours trading. But it then went up $8 to $73 in after hours after the company reported stellar earnings. I'm thinking about dumping all my shares tomorrow if it trades up to the $75-$80 range. Or not? And where should I move my money to? Creative Lab (CREAF)?

Creative Lab's Zen Micro has more features than the iPod and sells cheaper. Why hasn't the Zen Micro caught on the same way as the iPod I wonder? But then again the company did say in a press release yesterday it sold 2 million units (Apple sold 2 million units of the iPod last quarter and 4.5 million this quarter) of it this quarter. Maybe the Zen Micro is catching on after all.

21. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not so sure about that...Apple is the platform of choice of video editors, musicians and graphic designers, alike (all are pretty processor-intensive, as you know). Clockspeeds have lagged forever in Apples... Sounds like the old MHz myth to me...

22. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've read in a couple places that the PowerPC processor can process things up to two times quicker than a wintel chip (in reference to the bottleneck described above) dispelling the whol mhz myth.

What matter most is the benchmark test on programs, you'll have a 2Ghz G5 out performing a 3Ghz P4 on a number of different video and photo editing programs.

23. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    Mhz is indeed a myth when comparing powerpc to x86, but he said price range, so he's probably right. The same amount of $$$ you could spend on a pc will probably get you Mac that doesn't chug as fast (but wont crash as much either :D)

To the best of my knowledge, Apple doesn't release new chipsets as often as the pc motherboard manufacturers do, so I wonder how the latest chipsets compare to the G5 chipset....

24. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    IMHO, sometimes benchmarks need to be taken with a grain of salt. How much cache did the CPU have? How much RAM were they using? Did they install such and such patch to fix a known bug that degrades performance? Which PCI slot did they use (the PCI-X enabled one or just the 66mhz one)? Did they run the test just once, or over and over again (in order to get more cache hits) and then record the best time? Etc.

Sometimes things can be tweaked to get better results in the interests of the people "sponsoring" the testing. Not always but sometimes. ;)

25. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Just bought a Monster iCarPlay Wireless set for playing my ipod in my car. The sound quality is great.