Hugo S

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by Chris_Bailey, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Hugol

Mexico's schedule is greed-driven, according to Sanchez.

yES This is true..

U.S. referees are no good, according to Sanchez.

The man can Not tell a Lie..

Other national teams in CONCACAF are worthless, according to Sanchez.

See what i mean.. :)

Mexico's soccer federation recently revealed that its national team -- guided by the kindly hand of the Anschutz Entertainment Group and the AEG agenda -- will play more than 40 games in the United States over the next three or four years.

Sanchez said it should not play any.

"Mexico is one of the few teams in the world that doesn't play in its country," he said. "The problem is that [Mexican federation leaders] have invested a lot of money to sell the image of the national team, and they have to get this money back.

"So they send the team to play in the United States, but in doing so they risk the physical integrity of the players. All the matches played there are, by [contractual] obligation, refereed by officials from the United States, and the United States referees are not good.

"They are at a lower level and they allow a lot of violent tackles.... [Federation leaders] don't care about the physical integrity of the players because they want to get their money back."

Sanchez added that he would prefer Mexico avoided playing CONCACAF-area teams entirely. "The competition around Mexico is of a very low level," he said. "If [the national team] were based in Mexico or South America, we would not have this problem.

"Unfortunately, to play against the United States, against Canada, against Haiti, against El Salvador or against Guatemala doesn't help us get better."

2. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    Re: Hugol

Putting national pride aside and looking at this statement objectively, I agree. At the same time, I would say the same for the United States. Our ability to defeat Mexico, Guatamala, El Salvador, et al in no way shape or form puts us in a position to play in a WC final. We need better competition as well.

3. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any truth to the rumor that Mexico will soon follow France's lead and start putting a chicken on its shirts?

[​IMG]

"Si! Fewer games against the gringos!"

4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the sponsor of all El Tri broadcasts on Telemundo:

[​IMG]

5. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
  6. Kur #10

Kur #10 Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Mexico Citay
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    uh.... okay... whats up with the lame american comebacks at mexies?

swallow what Hugo said (you know he's right), then shut up and go back to your forum..

7. Heródoto

Heródoto New Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Guanajuato, México
    Totally agree with Hugol. he is right, but as i stated before, seems impossible to change the current situation.

8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A certain CONCACAF team whom I'll leave nameless has beaten El Tri five out of the last six times that it has faced El Tri. And there are other teams in CONCACAF with which Mexico has problems.

Mexico's problem on the world stage isn't the level of competition in CONCACAF.

9. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Quieren LLorar

I didnt realise it was so easy to get the yanks panties in a bunch, oh wait yes i did. It Appears as Hugol also hurt Grahame L. Jones feeling who also had this to say:

The former idol of Real Madrid and Mexico's national team -- not to mention the San Diego Sockers at a time when he had not yet soured on the United States -- is a coach these days. At least, that's what Sanchez, 44, says, although it's difficult to tell by the way his UNAM Pumas are playing.

D'oh looks like mr Grahame forgot that UNAM has picked up their form. Pumas has been in a four game undefeated streak earning 10 out of 12 points not to mention their Copa Libertadores participation..

The Generals Chicken is Da BOMB !!!! :D :p

10. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    C'mon back up here when you can beat us again. Our second team that is.

11. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Quieren LLorar

Oh come on, VS, I never pictured you as a Pumas apologist. And we both know that "Copa Libertadores participation" has very little to do with how a good a team is.

12. Heródoto

Heródoto New Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Guanajuato, México
    Re: Re: Quieren LLorar

are you talking seriously??? La Copa Libertadores is the best clubes tournament in this continent! by far!

13. El_Maestro

El_Maestro Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Planet Earth
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Re: Re: Re: Quieren LLorar

You gotta be fair with ElJefe, Herotodo, he's probably comparing that lowly Libertadores Cup with the most magnificent futbol competition in the Universe, the Concacaf Champions Cup. :rolleyes:

14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Quieren LLorar

How are Mexican clubs chosen for the Pre-Pre-Pre-Libertadores?

Were Cruz Azul, Pumas, Morelia, Toluca, Pachuca, and Atlas chosen because they were the best teams in the MFL in 2001-02, or were they chosen for "other reasons."

The reason why I ask is because a couple of years ago, Mexican participation in the Copa Libertadores was a synonym for "Let's get Chivas and America into this prestigious club competition, which will be great for TV viewership."

If that's changed, then fine, I withdraw my criticism.

15. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Re: Re: Quieren LLorar

Im only pointing out the facts. Pumas did have a shaky start early in the season but they have managed three wins and one tie in their last four games, not bad. If you saw their game against Corinthians played in Brazil you would give more credit to Hugol..

16. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Quieren LLorar

Originally posted by ElJefe

The Top six teams are invited and they have home and away elimination matches with the top two teams advancing to the pre-Libertadores where they must play against the Venezuelan Champ and Runner up.

Were Cruz Azul, Pumas, Morelia, Toluca, Pachuca, and Atlas chosen because they were the best teams in the MFL in 2001-02, or were they chosen for "other reasons."

The teams that are in the best form and are finacially sound to be able to play in Copa Libertadores, they must cover travel expenses.

The reason why I ask is because a couple of years ago, Mexican participation in the Copa Libertadores was a synonym for "Let's get Chivas and America into this prestigious club competition, which will be great for TV viewership."

That was only in the first Copa Libertadores participation and since it didnt work out (Financially) the Pre-pre Libertadores was introduced.

No matter how you get to the CL no team will lay down for you, we have seen what Fenix of Uruguay did to Cruz Azul !!!

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Quieren LLorar

So they don't just take the top six point totals from the previous Apertura and Clausura seasons?

18. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Quieren LLorar

performance and financial ability which goes hand in hand. If you are financially stable, your performance will refelct that in most cases.

Funny you ask, because Toluca, America, Pachuca, Morelia all had participated in a final in 2001-2002. Again, promotoers use performance and financial ability to determine its participants. If we were to get a direct ticket, we wouldnt have to. Clubs have to fork out the dough.

Chivas has only participated in one Copa Libertadores. Monterrey, America, Morelia, Cruz Azul, Atlas, Pumas have been good teams the past couple years.

You can criticize all you want, but somhow without taking assests from the current books, MFL clubs have to find a way raise capital. Because those million dollars they have to dish out is non refundable.

Some clubs have denied to participate in the copa libertaodres because they dont want to risk playing without having direct participation. I can understand their point of view, but I can also understand the clubs who want to risk thier investment.

the clubs that participate in the Copa Libertadores are not champs or runner up... but MFl clubs have done well..... just imagine if you were to get the current champs or super leaders in the Copa Libertadores.

FMF shoul rid themselves of these promoters and dish out more money to CONMEBOL to get direct participation. In the meantime, MFL clubs play 3 tournaments.

19. Heródoto

Heródoto New Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Guanajuato, México
    It wasn't a couple of years ago, when Chivas and América were chosen to play the Copa Libertadores was in 1998 the first year for the mexican teams playing the cup.

Lately the mexican teams needs to "qualify" to play the copa, first some mexicans teams are invited to play a round roby and later the best 2 teams plays a playoff with the venezuelans teams. the best 2 (of 4) teams plays the copa libertadores 1st stage.

How they are chosen? Maybe you don't know but mexico is "invited" to play the Libertadores just because the Football Federation of Venezuela have "sold" us its rights to play the Copa. So the teams who want to participate must pay for the right to play.
    I am agree, the champion and the second place should play the copa but under this circumstances it's impossible, anyway the teams who participates always are top teams. Pumas played the semifinals of the mexican championship last year.
    The Copa Libertadores it's a real competition with real teams, like Corinthians, Santos, Grêmio, River, Boca Jrs. Deportivo Cali, Colo Colo, Nacional, Peñarol, Racing, Olimpia. América de Cali, etc. and worth the effort to pay.
    Hope the Conmebol accepts directly the mexican teams soon, it seems possible, i have heard Nicolás Leoz (President of the Conmebol) talking on this issue, Maybe soon the mexican teams will qualify directly and the teams who deserves the most to play the copa, will be there. (ergo the champions)

20. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001

You want some Firewater with that?

21. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Yeah, but when was the last time the US beat Mexico in meaningful competition? Can anyone answer that question?

22. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah, I heard that PUMAS team was pretty decent.

I especially liked watching them play the US and lose.

23. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Hugo

Yeah, but when was the last time American Sponsers gave more money to the USSF than to the FMF answer that question?

I heard they mentioned Adu's name on Sports Center., Run along yanks..

:D :p

24. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    take a bow!

Classic VS!!