How You Like Me Now? - The Karim Benzema Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Shay Z, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kasoul

Kasoul Member

Oct 18, 2006
    I am a fanboy, because I refuse to criticise a player and demand him be sold after a draw? The same way I defended Ronaldo when he had a stinker against Barca and Higuain against Lyon. I know when he ********s up and realise he needs to score goals for the team, it is his job. But I don't go overboard when a player misses a chance when we lose or draw a game.

He isn't perfect, but he is one of the best strikers in the world atm and has a goals to game ration in the CL better than Messi and Raul. Every time we drop points its the same sarcastic comments "Benzema's game is too complicated for this team, he has cost us points sell him!!!". You obviously have a deep rooted hatred for him, and you use every bad performance to criticise him, and blame him for us dropping points. Yet I don't see you praise him when he performs well and gets us points. I also don't see any posts when Ronaldo and Higuain ******** up and we drop points.

2. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's not noticeable when we win either. He missed two ridiculous sitters in the matches against APOEL.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCqGeyIYYNQ"]Karim Benzema Horrible Miss vs Apoel - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ia5spqJGyE"]benzema second horror miss (apl-rlmd).mpg - YouTube[/ame]

He has to work on that. Zidane05 said it would cost us points soon and it did against Malaga and yesterday against Valencia.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He's better under stress. Against APOEL, a victory was pretty much a given. In league competition, I expect him to become crucial when we're in dire need to get points not to lose the title. So far the guy feels he can relax and losing a chance won't be the end of the world, he's much more likely to spoil it.

Yeah, he needs to change that. ASAP.

4. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    So he's fine playing in the CL and the Copa but he shouldn't play in the League? Mental inconsistency? So the league part of his brain is weak while the CL part of his brain isn't. :confused:

[​IMG]

5. ambro

ambro Member

Dec 9, 2011
    USA
    I agree he's had a few shocking misses lately and all of them are of the "poacher goal" type. That is clearly a part of his game he needs to improve. But realize that if he is able to do that, which he still has plenty of time to do in his career, the rest of his game is much more developed than that of all the other strikers you named that probably would score that goal (Rooney, Gomez, Huntelaar). If he is able to get that killer instinct and score the poacher goals regularly, he will be arguably the best striker in the world.

Like I said, he's in a rough patch. He still has 20+ goals for us this year. Absurd to say we need to sell him. Why don't you blame Ronaldo for falling over on that breakaway wen he should have been able to stay up and score? Sure, he got nicked a little on his heel, but watch the replay and honestly tell me that caused him to fall over the way he did. Not a chance. He could have stayed up, rounded the keeper, and got us 3 points. Why don't we have to sell him as well?

6. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We don't need to sell Benzema, but we may need to buy a more dependable solution overall if Benzema needs to time develop at the age when others thrive and lead their teams. In hindsight, maybe getting somebody like Klose in the summer wouldn't have been such a bad deal.

I'm convinced we'll buy another striker in the summer.

7. ambro

ambro Member

Dec 9, 2011
    USA
    The thing is, most of the other players you mention in his age bracket do not "thrive and lead their teams." Kun and Rooney you can make the argument for (and of course, Midget). You make it seem like Benzema is the only one in this age group with flaws of any sort, and that he is far and away the worst one. But he scores goals the others are uncapable of. They might put away some of the sitters that Benz should (and in the future, probably will do with more consistency), but Benz's class is unmistakable. Bringing in a third striker to take away minutes will not help if we are trying to improve Benzema's game.

As it stands, he is a world class striker that can improve the poaching aspect of his game. We do not need to wait for him to "develop."

8. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We are trying to improve the team's game, not Benzema. Benzema is playing for Real Madrid, not the other way around.

If we sign Van Persie (not that i am pushing for it, just an example), Karim better put his boots on the right way, because he'll have some serious competition that isn't being pushed aside like Higuain is currently.

I am sure people in the club are not simply looking at our current situation and think that we'll just wait until Benzema becomes Ruud Van Nistelrooy. With Higuain clearly not the preferred option (and with a slight chance of being sold), it makes sense that we'll sign a striker in the summer, and as i said, he won't sign to play second fiddle to Benzema.

What i consider one of Benzema's strengths is that he plays better with Ronaldo compared to Higuain, which is probably a reason why Mourinho has chosen Benzema as the starting striker. Benzema tends to stay out of Ronaldo's way and assist him more regularly while Higuain always looks at the goal first and then after the assist.

As i said, Benzema might play against Atleti and score twice, one goal with a backheel through the goalkeepers legs, then play against Gijon and really blow the chance of the year.

9. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I thought we already had a dependable finisher in Higuain? If there is a problem with Benzema, and I dont think there is (or at least not as much as you are making it to be), I trust Mourinho to do the right thing and start Pipita.

10. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It is a problem when we depend on Benzema to finish those chances. If the team as a whole plays great, Benzema, Callejon, and everybody else scores. Benzema is not really the player to win the game when things go bad. We only have Ronaldo(the Rayo Valecano match for example), and to a certain extent Higuain to do that. Generally, the games when Benzema scores, we usually score quite often, or so it seems.

We'll see. I'm sure people will try to make "Benzema f*** yeah, take that you hater1!!1!!!" come backs when he scores next (which he will unless he's not on the pitch), but his reputation for big game performances and goals is pretty overhyped and overstated.

11. Crimson

Crimson BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 11, 2009

The thing is Benzema and Ronaldo are always going to be first choice when a player is in position to score, they average the most shots per game in Madrid, Ronaldo more so because of his shots outside the box and his set pieces.

Higuain seems to have to fight to get a decent ball inside the box every game he plays, yet he is still keeping up in terms of scoring.

In LigaBBVA alone Benzema averages 3 shots per game to Higuains 1.9, in the UCL that number is 3.9 to 1.1 in favor of Benz again. That is an astronomical difference. Especially when you consider Falcao averages 3.9, Soldado 2.6 and Llorente with 2.6 as well in LigaBBVA, all get more shots than Higuain but are all scoring alot less. Consider the fact we have some of the best creative players in the world and we are one of the best teams in the world it's pretty poor that Higuain rarely receives or gets the attention he deserves inside the box, but when he does he usually finishes it.

If we set Higuain up at the top of the box and actually had players feed him the ball his numbers would be astronomical imo.

In the UCL Higuains shots per game are even behind that of Alonso atm lmao and in La Liga they are behind not only Ronaldo and Benz but Di Maria too.

People seem to brush off Higuain very quickly and point to Benz being a better player overall, but at the end of the day if we have players like Di Maria, Alonso, Sahin, Ozil and Kaka I would rather have a pure striker up at the top of the box and put faith and chances in him to score.

Just think what Higuain could do with the kind of service other pure strikers receive.....

12. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    I keep telling ya'll, the problem isn't Higuain or Benzema...it's Ronaldo. Sell him and all these issues will disappear, I guarantee it :D

13. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Same could be said for how many of our players?

You don't like the guy. You go apeshit attack mode when he fuucks up. Same story, nothing to see here folks. :D

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's easy to understand, really: league play is, until the very last weeks, not a matter of life and death.

Play-offs during a Cup or the Champs League is a high-stress situation.

Benz is a relaxed type of guy. A young guy who chills with his homies playing video games and when surprised by news types, he'll say as little as possible and gets out of it with a smile.

He's no deep thinker, no guy to seem concerned with pure perfection, etc.

The plus of that is that when a game is a high-stress situation, like a Champs League fixture, and everybody is peeing in their pants around him, Karim keeps a degree of coolness that allows him to score chances others wouldn't even create.

The minus is that when the game is not so vital and there is a future chance to fix any bug ups, he's likely to make big mistakes, due to lack of focus.

Both things may come as a pair. If you're cool, then in situations of high stress in the job you're the man to have, but the day-to-day routine can make of you a less-than-stellar performer.

15. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    So you're saying the game against Valencia was NOT a high stress situation?

What does this have to do with anything? Deep thinker?

Look, I don't think there are any solid facts available to prove that a player is more likely to miss a chance in a Liga game than a CL game, not to my knowledge at least. To suggest that he should only start CL and Copa games doesn't make much sense.

I think you're reading way too much into this. He missed chances. They were bad misses. It happens. Doesn't mean he's not good enough to start in La Liga, doesn't mean we should sell him to Bochum and it doesn't mean he won't score 3 of those same goals in the next 3 games.

I am not giving him a free pass for missing those chances but some of the stuff thats being said is pretty over the top which, when you think about it, is par for the course on this board post any bad result.

16. ambro

ambro Member

Dec 9, 2011
    USA
    What are you trying to say here? That we can only have flawless players on the roster? We can't start anyone who has room for improvement in his game? Stupid.

We have a young squad for a reason. We want a squad that can grow together, improve together, and stay together for many years. Mistakes come with the territory. Face it, every single player on the team can improve many aspects of their games. It is in every player's benefit to get minutes to improve those aspects. Benz is the better striker option we have right now, that's why he is first choice. He also has the potential to become one of the best strikers in the world (if he isn't already) if we keep giving him minutes and he develops the poacher's touch like many other top strikers have. You are acting as if, just because he isn't lethal on scoring tap-ins (albeit, that is one key area where most strikers should be) that we need to send him off on loan somewhere to develop, and that just isn't the case.

Let me just put it this way: if we were to put him up on the transfer market this summer, I am confident there would be no shortage of 40+ ME bids for him.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I've NEVER suggested such a thing. No idea if someone else in this thread is doing so. It wasn't me, at any rate.

The Valencia game was important but, well, it didn't cost us the league. At least not yet.

18. madridismo

madridismo Member+

Feb 28, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I was mad at Benzema, but then I saw Robben play for Bayern today :D

19. raven3k

raven3k Member+

May 31, 2007
    Madrista land
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    +1 :d

20. MadridOzil

MadridOzil Member+

Jun 6, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Think he needs a goal as he looks low on confidence at the moment

21. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Definitely looked low on confidence today. The body language throughout was not good. He needs a goal to get him going again.

22. Jagbir

Jagbir Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Both have been playing good in CL lately.

23. Hyp-not'ik

Hyp-not'ik New Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Laugh as you will, Robben's acts of benevolence and or incompetance primed us to focus 100% on our CL clash.

Atleast that's how I rationalize it. :D

24. madridismo

madridismo Member+

Feb 28, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Sadly I fear the same :eek:

25. Chinky24

Chinky24 Member+

Real Madrid
    Dec 26, 2004
    Nashville
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Is this the time of the year when other fans start invading our boards?