How You Like Me Now? - The Karim Benzema Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Shay Z, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid

2. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So this is a gigantic waste of time and effort.

France allows dual citizenship but Algeria doesn't, so if he'd do this, he'd count as a non EU player for us. I consider this completely unrealistic.

3. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    According to Marca he only has the French citizenship and with the current state of immigration in Europe, with thousands applying for refuge or even just a temporary visa, him acquiring a different European citizenship overnight will make him the prototype of a football star diva athlete. I think he could technically apply for a Spanish citizenship, but I think the Spanish federation wouldn't call him up and they shouldn't.

4. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I’m not even sure why this is an issue, the body that runs football in a country hires a coach that they stand behind to build a team, call up players that he wants and decide how he wants the team to play , the coach does this and always has, in this specific scenario to boot, the coach has been successful, winning the biggest prize any football national team can aspire to win, the World Cup.

IMO the whole idea about Benz playing for someone else makes no sense, why should he be an exemption?, i’ve heard of players changing national teams at a young age but this late in their careers?, I imagine, because he plays for us, is the reason this is a topic anyway, but in the end the coach decides, like all coaches do, and he has decided no Benz, players get picked and dropped and left out all the time, for many many reasons, he is an undisputed starter for Madrid where the coach believes in him no matter what, so here the shoe is on the other foot, play your best make your money and your name

5. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If we're honest him saying that he'd play for other countries is a bad look and proves some of the criticism right. Makes it look like it's not about representing the country, it's all about yourself.

6. hala_madrid722

hala_madrid722 Member+

Jan 10, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The only other country he should play for is Algeria because that’s what he is by blood. The whole playing for Spain thing doesn’t make sense to me.

Now the fact that playing for Algeria would make him a non EU player for us wouldn’t be good.

7. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Playing for Algeria because you're not getting a call up from France is disrespectful.

Digital repped this.
  8. hala_madrid722

hala_madrid722 Member+

Jan 10, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I see your point but it doesn’t really have to be looked at that way. You can choose to look at that way but I don’t think that’s what it is.

9. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all the stipulation reads if the player loses his nationality without his consent or against his will....

whereas in this case he wants it to happen.

Also I'm pretty sure he already was given the opportunity to choose between France and Algeria.

In fact I'm sure this has been discussed and the conclusion was if he loves Algeria so much and despise the evil racist French, he must be a total mercenary to have chosen France.

10. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Miro Klose and Podolsky love Poland and have never refused their roots, but nobody questioned their commitment to the national team.

I think at the core of this, Benzema has been banned for life for what was considered a criminal offense to a national team player. France were just too cowardly to publically ban the player, probably out of fear that he could take them to court so here we are keeping up this charade of him being left out for performance reasons eternally.

Madrid fans have forgiven him, because of his commitment to the club, but the staff of the national team owes him nothing if we're honest.

Digital repped this.
  11. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember when he first joined us Higuain was looking at a choice between Argentina and France.

I wanted Pipa to join France so him and Benz could form the deadliest striker duo in the world for a decade.

Turns out Higuain probably could have taken Benzema's place and won a WC and had a totally different [non choker] career to his name.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  12. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No absolutely, if all he had done is rape an underage girl nobody in France would have bated an eyelid.

But he crossed a teammate and I think it's understandable if he's not welcome back in the locker room. Just imagine someone's phone goes missing [on accident], he would never hear the end of it.

13. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If they'd ban everybody involved with the blonde lady, France would have been playing 5 a side football for a couple years.

14. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Interesting, what do you think it is, why is it that he’d want to change allegiances now to represent another country that he probably had zero interest in representing before he was dropped from the French team, a vast love of playing international football generally?, because I can’t see it as being a love for whatever country he chose to adopt or was eligible for all of a sudden

I imagine he had a choice when he was younger and he chose France, what other way can it be looked at other than personal vanity, or is it just to prove a point to an individual or individuals in the French setup, IMO that wouldn’t be good for whatever team he’d be eligible to play for ( he’d be doing it for the wrong reasons) or any player that he may force out of that particular team, ego is a serious thing

4x4s repped this.
  15. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Algeria too don't want him wtf

16. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Why would they? Playing for the national team am should be a commitment to the country. The fact that Benzema made it a personal issue doesn't make him look good in my opinion. It would be best to approach it from the angle that he wants to represent the country again, instead it's mostly about him and his career.

I think the federation and deschamps made a mess of it, but Benzema is right for the wrong reasons.

Lyra repped this.
  17. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Because he knows that the chance of using Benzema is very slim, there is no point for him to say anything to put Algeria on spot. For Benzema to switch his eligibility, it would take an effect that is far beyond anything we have seen since the Bosman ruling. It would take years. By that time, it is more likely that Benzema is the manager of Algeria rather than an active player.I would have said the same thing if I were managing Algeria.

18. slyyls84

slyyls84 New Member

Real Madrid
    France
    Nov 20, 2019
    I don't understand Deschamps' s choice. Benzema should come back in French National Team. He is the best French player right now.

19. El-CapitanoR7

El-CapitanoR7 Member

Oct 30, 2008
    La la land
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Don't fix something that's working. A lot of people don't understand coaches decisions, but at the end of the day Deschamps won a world cup so what you and I think doesn't matter. It's when he loses that we can criticize him.

Digital and 4x4s repped this.
  20. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    He won a world cup inspite of himself and every poor decision he made along the way.

He literally "out-talented" the opposition to victory.

J-Mezzy and MaxY repped this.
  21. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You don't understand their reasons though? I mean this isn't a Kaepernick situation, Benzema made a mistake here and we can only talk about if it's worth being banned for life for it, but it's not about performance. Both parties like to pretend that it is because any other topic would put a third person(Valbuena) back into the discussion.

22. MaxY

MaxY Member+

May 24, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Literally. Took a bottle job to throw the previous Euro away. Such a squad that even their B team is a contender.

23. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It sucks for Benz personally, but will probably prolong his RM career. Hope he continues to play like this for years at RM.

hala_madrid722 repped this.
  24. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    "Karim Benzema 2023",

Real Madrid has offered him a two-year extension, but the Frenchman wants to be certain that he can maintain his current performance.

Varnagel and MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  25. MaxY

MaxY Member+

May 24, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Apparently we learned nothing from Bale, Isco etc. Benzema is 32 in less than a month. His current deal is absolutely perfect. Extending him until he's 35.5yo is unnecessary.

But on the other hand his behavior and attitude doesn't make me worried about it. Will probably be great/starting material for 2 seasons then offer a good alternative from the bench and slowly fiddle out into retirement.