How You Like Me Now? - The Karim Benzema Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Shay Z, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaxY

MaxY Member+

May 24, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Are you arguing Benzema's 14 calendar year goals vs Kane's 56? The one scored more than Cristiano and Messi while the other scored less than Paulinho.

In which big matches did Benzema show up? And not to mention that putting the goals away vs "minnow teams" wins you the league. How many points did we lose against inferior opposition this year?

ABB94, Deep Pal and Iscodisco repped this.
  2. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm arguing that Kane's record is only impressive as a statistic. He can score 7 goals against Brunley and Swansea for all i care, when he has 0 against, Arsenal, Chelsea, City and United, and was pretty bad against us in both home and away ties in the CL it doesn't really matter to me.

Benzema has been pretty bad over the entire year, shocking relevation, still, at Kane's age Benzema was already playing at Real Madrid for three years winning titles that matter. If Kane is 30 one day and his career high is scoring 56 goals in a calendar year while Benzema has a handful of CL trophies and other achievements (Benzema will have already retired from football by then obviously), it's fair to say that Karim had the better career overall.

3. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This is absolutely true, it does “help” in terms of winning the league, but, you also have to show up against the big teams too, especially against them, no two ways about it, and especially if you will cost tons of cash, you have to be as close to “consistently” good as you can get, no player is perfect but it would not be good if you are scoring 5 vs the lesser teams in the league and none vs the top 5, that does not help, the disparity would be too huge,

need more balance, personally I don’t care if the striker scored 20 vs the worse team as long as he can produce vs the best teams as well, i’ve seen many here lose their minds about Ronaldo “padding his stats” playing in dead rubbers and scoring tons against smaller teams, personally I am not sold on Harry Kane against stronger teams with smarter defenses for club or country, that’s just me.

4. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I think I never seen a coach support a player this much when their form is this terrible.
    In 99% of the cases a striker this bad would be watching games from the bench.
    Before El clasico I was saying we dont really have anyone else who can do better but at this point I am actually in favor of Mayoral getting some first team action.

5. Iscodisco

Iscodisco Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Dec 14, 2017
    The fans can continue to whistle him and call him names and demonize him in the press but the real people culpable for this scenario is Zidane and Florentino.

Zidane is the man who continually plays him due to favouritism, called him "the best forward in the world" "he would defend him to the death" "he doesn't need to score goals, that is not demanded from him". His insistence with him has lead to the departure of morata and mariano as they realised despite playing and scoring more goals they would never displace the Frenchman. Zidane has also not been able to get the best out of him at all. He is regressing.

Florentino is the man who became complacent and did not feel the need to invest in the team in the striker department. Although this was clearly influenced by zidane's selection policy. He would have sold Benz if zidane dropped him like he did with james. Zidane has more power than people think.

Ultimately they are both to blame.

Phenom9 and Deep Pal repped this.
  6. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The Club won the most trophies in its history in 2017. I like how people say Zidane and Florentino are to blame like we've been on a 5 year title drought and it's time to change something. Even if we go titleless this season, if the club believed their reserved spending wasgood for the club in the long run, they deserve to see it through after they've been in the zone for so long.

7. Iscodisco

Iscodisco Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Dec 14, 2017
    Well yeah fair point but I mean they are to blame specifically for the Benzema/Striker debacle which everyone is obsessed about. In all other departments Zidane and Flo have smashed it in 2016/2017 season. This season though something is very wrong.

Deep Pal repped this.
  8. sneakking

sneakking Member+

Sep 11, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tired of seeing this guy out there with no energy

rather see lucas out there at this point

9. robertocarlos3

robertocarlos3 Member+

Jan 9, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    No doubt zidane and Perez are to blame for the Benz situation and why he continue to play. On the other hand, you can't take away 3 CL in 4 years from Perez and zidane.
    The real question is what these two will do now.
    The first option is to bench him, start other players, bale, mayoral, Marco and change rotation (BTW, out of the scope of this thread, but CR have been as shit as benz) they rotate the bench position for all I care at this point.
    The other option is to keep things as is and hope for the best. Ride this formation and players until end of year. This is also gets more complicated because bale is fit again and soon if all BBCs are fit, isco will loose the starting point.

I'm pretty confident both zidane and Perez will go for the latter.
    Both won't back down for the claims they had on Benz ("best in the world"), plus for Perez, if things get really low, he can just fire zidane for not being bold enough to make decisions.

10. Deep Pal

Deep Pal Member+

Jun 19, 2013
    India,Kolkata
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    That way Pinto had a better career than a lot of world beaters.

ABB94 repped this.
  11. arcane

arcane Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    Philippines
    The Benz situation is a lot like Raul's a couple years back. Striker stinks up the joint, automatically starts.

Benzema apologists: "But he links up the attack and is vital"

Raul apologists: "But he hustles and tracks back like no one".

12. Romanero

Romanero Member+

Oct 28, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    difference being Raul was a legend and played like one on his prime, while Benzema never fully conviced anyone he should be our main Striker, therefore should be easier so bench him

Deep Pal and J-Mezzy repped this.
  13. arcane

arcane Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    Philippines
    Yeah I get that. But you got to admit, Raul got way too much leeway on thay one.

14. ABB94

ABB94 Member+

Feb 18, 2015
    England, UK
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Really shouldn’t be a Raul situation though should it? The former was “Mr. Madrid” while Benzema is just another striker that has played for the club (albeit one that has been fortunate to enjoy plenty of success). He hardly commands the same respect or leeway Raul had.

Deep Pal, Eddie and J-Mezzy repped this.
  15. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Perfectly said.

Funny how even today people still make excuses for what we had to endure with Raul.

Deep Pal repped this.
  16. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Sky was showing a documentary about Raul the other day, and Schalke's doctor was saying that Raul's body was practically destroyed(in pro football terms obviously) when he joined them. His knees and ankles were shot and he told them he was playing under pain in certain circumstances, but they figured out a way to work with him.

17. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Whoa, interesting if true, so someone decided ( him or the coach) he should keep playing at Madrid with his body in that condition even though he was clearly past his best?, strange decisions.

18. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    This isn't an exception, it's the rule in every sport. I'd bet he had a major hand in not disclosing the severity of his injuries.

I know I didn't.

Digital and 4x4s repped this.
  19. CR7PT

CR7PT Member+

Real Madrid
    Portugal
    Mar 26, 2014
    Portugal
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  20. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Deep Pal repped this.
  21. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Marca posts Benzema injured for 3 weeks article, best voted comment under the article:

"It doesn't matter, Zidane will play him anyway" :D

Excape Goat, Romanero, Digital and 11 others repped this.
  22. Ahmadi8

Ahmadi8 Member+

Apr 14, 2005
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Deep Pal repped this.
  23. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    So we play Mayoral now? I doubt it. I think Zizou plays Bale and Isco.

24. Los Merengues

Los Merengues Member

Dec 7, 2004
    California
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully Bale is ready to play matches from the start after the break. Also I hope to see some lineups with Isco and Asensio starting together instead of one coming on as a sub for the other. Why not put more midfielders out there if Benz is out injured/plays like a mid anyways lately with his lack of goals and work in the box?

25. Deep Pal

Deep Pal Member+

Jun 19, 2013
    India,Kolkata
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    This is probably the first time , Madridistas are happy that a player got injured, that too their own.