How much would it cost to buy a Central American soccer club?

Discussion in 'Central America: Clubs' started by jpg75, Feb 17, 2009.

1. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Does anyone know the value of any professional soccer clubs in Central America? If there were any clubs sold recently, do you know how much was paid for them?

2. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    It really depends on which club. Varies greatly.

3. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ok, let's look at Costa Rica. How much do you think it would cost to buy Alajuelense or Saprissa? I think Liberia has a new owner with deep pockets, do you know how much was paid for them? And Puntarenas seemed like a very small town when i was there, how much do you think that club is worth?

4. La-H

La-H Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Northeast
    I suspect those two teams (Saprissa and Alajuelense) would be in the high tens of millions USD. Though this is completely guess work, since I am not sure these teams have realeased for-sale numbers anytime soon.

Remember though, the operating costs for these type of organizations are huge, and your profits are not guaranteed (at least not the bonus profits, say if you win a League Cup or an International one). Truly a gamble.

5. manudogringo

manudogringo New Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Mario Sotela was reported to have paid US$250000 for control of Municipal Liberia when they were without assets,so to speak.I'm sure his expenses only began there.

6. nfiniti

nfiniti Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Rutherford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    You're welcome to buy C.D. Plaza Amador (Panama). They need a competent, financially-wise owner.

7. DCatracho17

DCatracho17 Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Chicago,USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    It can be cheap to buy a CA club which could vary from 50,000 to maybe 15 million.

But the you have to pay League Fees,player salary, Stadium rental if not owned, security,ect

8. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Saprissa most likely the highest, with Communicaciones and Olimpia not far behind.

9. DCatracho17

DCatracho17 Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Chicago,USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Saprissa id say its probably worth between 5 million to 15 million, Vergara bought it for 4 million I heard.

Communicaciones or Municipal at least a good 10 million

Olimpia ehh maybe around 10 million also

You really cant get a lot of money out of Central American clubs, your in a 3rd world country and the region lacks any footballing power like uefa or conmebol.

10. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    well when you have pocketeers just pocketing the money instead of distributing it among the the organization, then you'll be in someone of a hole like this.

11. xbryanv320

xbryanv320 Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    Gabon
    my coca cola league 2 team cost me 1.2 million euros.

12. powerviolence

powerviolence Red Card

Aug 17, 2009
    I'm positive Vergara paid ~5 million for Saprissa back in 03, but the team was at its lowest at that point, with Alajuelense dominating the Costarican league for several years prior and even constantly starring in the concacaf champions cup, they were one goal away from being in the 1st club world cup, when they lost the concacaf champions cup final 99 against necaxa. Then they won the 2004 champions cup against Saprissa, but there was no Club World Cup that year.

Vergara even joked that Saprissa was worth the same as an average keeper in the mexican league when he bought it.

Saprissa was probably worth its highest in 2005 when it had players like Cristian Bolaños, Randall Azofeifa, Ronald Gomez, Puppy Lopez, and Alvaro Saborio in their squad. Cristian Bolaños became a star for Norway's Start, Azofeifa became a star for Belgium's Gent, Ronald Gomez retired after a really good career, Lopez went to play for Melbourne Victory and was considered a good player, but recently came back to Saprissa. Which is good for Saprissa. and Saborio went to play for Switzerland's Sion where he had a very good first season but didn't so well last season so he's looking for a club right now, he has excelled with the national team lately though. Btw that 2005 Saprissa squad won the Concacaf Champions Cup and went on to obtain a 3rd place in the Club World Cup.

13. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    And I never forgave him for that.

14. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Atletico Balboa's (a small club from El Salvador) president has just today stated that if the club was to be sold, they would ask for no less than US$150,000.

The club is currently in the first division after gaining promotion mid last year. They are by no means a "top" club and have spent most of their existence in the second/third divisions; they only gained promotion to the first division for the first time in 2000 (they've been around since 1950).

Last season they finished third last on the aggregate table (one point in front of second last and six in front of last) and are currently in last spot this season after only having won one game from eleven matches. They are also struggling to pay their players and are in the red.

They don't own their stadium and have only won one major trophy (not counting winning the second division) that being Copa Presidente in 2005, a cup competition which is now defunct. Another high point would be making the first division final back in late 2005 (a match they eventually lost on penalties).