How much on average do USL players make?

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by YankBastard, Mar 30, 2006.

1. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Miami FC just signing Romario, players make ****** or are they acutully decently paid. Are MLS players better paid?

2. Soccerprep

Soccerprep Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Lafayette, LA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    some usl players are better paid. the really "big time" usl players choose to stay in the usl because they make more money than they would/could in the mls, especially those players who start in usl, but would sit the bench in mls

3. Mr. Knowledge

Mr. Knowledge New Member

May 10, 2001
    Baltimore
    Are there any published articles anywhere on USL salaries?

4. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    I remember reading the Royals (NoVa) were on like $25/week during the team's final pro-season.

5. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it'd be fair to say that Royals were the poorest team in the 2nd Division and are a much better fit in the PDL. I'm pretty sure most USL1 teams paid alot more than $25/week.

6. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me give you two examples:
    John Wilson from DCU

Carlos Mendes from NYRB

Both those guys were paid better playing for the Rhinos (not quite double their current MLS salaries).

More teams now, can pay what the Rhinos have been paying players for the past 10 years. Also, in Rochester's case the cost of living and real estate is much much lower than NY, DC, Boston, LA, etc.

As for Romario, I doubt he is getting paid more than $2000/week by MiamiFC, if he is even getting that.

7. Allison A

Allison A New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I think the majority of the players in the league fall in the $1000 to $5000 per month range on a 6-month contract. Some very high profile players (like Eric Wynalda) have apparently gotten contracts in the $10000/month range or higher but I'd be surprised if there are half a dozen players in the league getting more than $5000 a month.

8. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Carlos Mendes was paid $35000 last year by MLS. John Wilson was paid $33000 (prorated). You're suggesting that the Rhinos paid these guys "not quite" $70000 each in 2004?

9. Kazan

Kazan New Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Ames, IA
    OK o we have the spread - but what's the average?

10. manic

manic Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Team payroll for the Montreal Impact for 2005 was quoted by Joey Saputo at a little over $600K.

11. Kazan

Kazan New Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Ames, IA
    that's a lot of money being invested each year if they're not making it back :(

12. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figured Romario would be getting more than that in Brazil.

13. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have heard at least $60k, if not more for Wilson.

14. Zeppelin

Zeppelin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    how do the USL Clubs make money ? not from TV and not much from ticket's sales...

15. Kazan

Kazan New Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Ames, IA
    well tickets do account for some - according to wikipedia average 2005 attendance for Menace games was 6862 people - at $9 a ticket thats $61,758 a game - so if they pay players $30k that's two player's salaries per game

16. Soccerprep

Soccerprep Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Lafayette, LA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not that i know of. i know a few guys who have played in a-league, and one told me he would stay there b/c he made more money there than he could in MLS

17. pcrow

pcrow New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    WA
    Menace doesn't pay players...pdl.

18. Kazan

Kazan New Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Ames, IA
    I didn't know that [new here] - but i was just using attendance and ticket numbers as examples.

19. NitrousOxide

NitrousOxide New Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Serravale San Marino
    I don't know how much his current salary at Vasco da Gama is, but at his last club Fluminense a year before he was making $100K a month, half of it paid by sponsors.

20. bafingersave

bafingersave New Member

Feb 10, 2006
    Iowa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have an idea on what kind of salary the worst players get in the MLS? USL 1? USL 2? Basically what is the bottom salary for these leagues?

21. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Don't forget about a rumored average of $10,000 per night in concessions and merchandise.

22. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MLS min for a full rostered player is $28K.

23. Northampton Laurels

Northampton Laurels New Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Mount Laurel
    From 2000 - 2003 when the South Jersey Barons ( now known as Ocean City Barons ) played in the D3 league the best players were on $150 per game and the least best player was on $75 per game. Now they have dropped out of the pro leagues down to the PDL due to not enough money coming through the gates etc.

This seems to be the case for most USL teams !!! it has become hard in certain areas to generate the support to keep the team playing pro soccer, and this is why they either fold or go PDL.

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    However developmental players can make as low as $11,500. Some players, like Will Johnson at Chicago Fire, left the team rather than take the offered 11.5K.

25. Persian Luis Figo

Persian Luis Figo New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    I wish there was some nice statistics on this sorta thing.

I myself would really like to know what the avg 'base salary' in USL is as well as limit for highest or lowest... that sorta data.