How much is an MLS attendee worth?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by superdave, Aug 15, 2017.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what I mean.

If Houston were to add 1000 fans per match, how much revenue would that be per match? How much profit (if that's even possible for us to guess at)? If the Gals lose 1000 per match, what does that mean?

And look, I get it, there are a ton of variables. That's why the question really isn't what 1 attendee is worth (even though that's how I wrote the question.) It's better to use larger numbers so we get a mix of millenials buying beer, people just watching the games from the cheap seats, and rich swells buying the most expensive seats.

I hope this is a good discussion. I'm really interested. @triplet1 if you're still around.

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    BB was chanting "we're the 1%" on Sunday.

Chesco United repped this.
  3. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    You just want average ticket price and average amount spent on concessions and team run parking I would assume?

League wide?

4. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    There's probably some merch revenue that is directly attributable to attendance as well.

5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're talking about the 1,000 fans who came closest to attending but chose not to (probably including people who attend several games but not all), the question is how much money these people would spend at the stadium compared to the people who attend. For example, if the 1,000 fans who came closest to attending but chose not to cannot afford to attend many games, they might spend less money per game if they came more. You also have to think about season tickets costing less than if every ticket was brought separately. We will never find this out, but it would be interesting to know how many of the 1,000 or 5,000 most expensive seats get bought by each club. If two clubs have the same capacity stadium and the same amount of seats at each price, knowing each attendance is not sufficient to know which club made more ticket revenue because one club could have sold a higher percentage of the most expensive seats.