How many tickets are sold for the game on sat?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by worldcup76, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    I'm in 118.

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    They've been turning away fans at the gate all season? ;)

3. RevsSoccerFan

RevsSoccerFan New Member

May 2, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. Either way, if the responses people get from ticket reps aren't the most customer service- friendly responses, they aren't helping their sales or PR. Since it seems like many season ticket holders are assisting them in sales for this match, you'd think people would get a courteous response.

Note: I haven't heard from anyone there yet, I'm just reading the responses here. When I see that people have had some experiences that are frustrating them and in turn having an affect on their opinion of the team and renewing next year (among other factors of course), it bugs me.

They have a lot of fans that are extremely excited about one of the biggest matches in Revs history. These fans are trying to sell tickets to other fans, non-fans or casual fans in the hopes of creating a great atmosphere for their team and creating new soccer fans etc. etc. They don't have to explain everything, but I think people would appreciate knowing if they hit the 22K soccer capacity, whether or not they are even considering opening another section. I hate the thought of people driving to the stadium from all over New England, only to find out they won't be able to get in. That would create a negative association with the team and potentially MLS, Kraft Sports, Gillette Stadium etc.

Same here. If they are close to selling out the soccer capacity, I hope they make the decision to open up another section very soon.

4. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    look....let's just say this was a revs specific staffer that's been around awhile. it wasn't anyone new or affiliated with the pats.

5. ManInBlack

ManInBlack New Member

Jul 6, 2001
    VT
    A search at Ticketshafters at 4:15 pm ET today for 4 seats any/best selection brings back: SECTION 103, ROW 33, SEATS 1 TO 4
    PRICE LEVEL 2

Row 33 is preeetty high up in the corner. They must be getting there.

6. worldcup76

worldcup76 Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Ticket Master isn't a bad idea to finding out what kind of seats they have left.

7. Jim Dow

Jim Dow New Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Belmont, MA
    I would certainly hope that at the least they will open up some corner sections to fill in if the demand goes above 22,000 +/-. To be unable to be flexible in the face of unique circumstances is to simply be incompetent, tired, uncaring, or any combination of the aforementioned.

I know that I am bringing 12 people to the match and that a lot of other regular attendees are doing the same. I also have been e mailing, phoning and generally beating the drum on behalf of the Revs. I expect the front office to do the same. Certainly I can understand keeping the attendance to the lower bowl, even only adding the corners to go to about 25/26,000 but to cut of sales at 22,000? Please, it just makes NO sense.

The place is no longer a construction site. It's a stadium.

JIM DOW

8. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not familiar with the new stadium and I was wondering, does the 22k "sellout" include sections on both sidelines?

I know from watching on Directv that most games in NE in 15k range only have folks on one side of the lower bowl opposite the camera. If the attendance increases to the low twenties does that just fill out the one side or is the other sideline populated?

9. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
  10. worldcup76

worldcup76 Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    I would think the game would be a sell out by tomar afternoon. Just a guess though.

11. ManInBlack

ManInBlack New Member

Jul 6, 2001
    VT
    Ticketshafter check on Thursday 8:45 a.m. ET brings back 4 seats/best available as SECTION 103, ROW 34, SEATS 12 TO 15

Seats are obviously still available, but high up in the corner.

Anyone know what the last row is in that section, just out of curiosity?

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more I read that the Revs might not open more seating, the more frustrated I'm getting.

As fans, we're pushing the hell out of this game. We're bringing friends, we're promoting it to the media outlets ... and yet the Revs might actually tell us too bad. We have the crowd we want, the rest of you can go screw.

Here's my best (albeit optimistic) guesstimate for this Saturday night (someone who knows the numbers better please correct me if I'm wrong):

With the weather now showing as 80 and partly cloudy, I'd guess we can get a good walkup. Let's say there was a chance the Revs could draw 30K including walk up for Saturday (again, being optimistic). That's 8,000 fans you're sending home. Make the assumption that those 8,000 buy food, parking, tickets, clothing, hats, whatever, that comes out to $40 per person. Let's make the assumption that my numbers are correct, and the Revs are now saying no to $320K in revenue for this one game. Let's take it a step further, half of the 8K have a blast because the Revs kick some ass and would have decided to come back for a playoff game (or 2), and maybe another small percentage comes back for MLS Cup. Another small percentage of the above group (even .5% of the original 8K which is only 40 people) decides to buy season tickets next year.

And the Revs haven't yet decided if they want to open up more seating? Am I missing something here? Other than what I would guess is a small cost (security, some more concession stands open, etc), the rest is all profit! What the ***************!

Sorry for the rant folks ... but for some reason this one is really bothering me. We could possibly have a 30K homegame and there's a chance that won't happen because ... why????

Monty

13. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    I have to agree Monty, yet would you imagine that I'm less prone to some vitriolic rant here?

Go figure.

I can see enough interest in this match to warrant selling tickets beyond the stated 22,000 down-sized capacity. Not sure if I'd go so far to say they'll sell 8,000 extra tickets, but I do think they'll have interest in tickets beyond what they're willing to sell at this point.

Yes, there is the chance there for added revenue from a higher attendance figure, but off-setting that is the cost the Revs likely pay in terms of extra security, extra parking attendants, more State Police traffic control, more stadium stewards for the newly-opened sections, added cost of opening concessions... there are two sides to the equation.

Understanding this...

The Revolution should make every effort to accomodate that added interest in this game by opening up additional sections. I can see the need to artifically create ticket demand by down-sizing the capacity, but that's a long-term sales strategy, and enforcing it in this particular instance can potentially shut-outfuture season ticket-holders or new fans.

For a game billed as fan appreciation night, the one thing the club could do to show their appreication is to make a gesture that could result in the cultivation of new fans:

* be flexible...

* be accomodating...

* open up additional sections...

End of rant.

The Magpie

14. soren_k

soren_k New Member

Oct 28, 2001
    I think the turn-people-away-to-create demand strategy is probably the dumbest thing the Revs have ever done, but there is a reasonable case to be made that, given that this has been there policy all along, it should continue. For a couple of reasons:

1. If someone bought season tickets not b/c they wanted to go to every game, but b/c they were afraid the handful of games they wanted to go to would sell out, they will be pissed off that they wasted their money.

2. Logistically and security-wise, changing their plans at the last minute poses some problems. Security would have to scramble to change their plans and get more people at the gates, as would the club to get staffing at the concessions and in the aisles. If there is any suggestion that people's safety might be compromised, guaranteed they won't do it.

3. It makes the club look silly to state that all regular season, non doubleheader games will be limited to 21 or 22 k, and then go back on that at the last minute.

No one would be happier than me if they go back to a ~30k capacity for the playoffs and next season. But it probably doesn't make sense to do it this Saturday.

15. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    i really hope that every person expressing concern about the opening extra seating issue has at least called the revs and spoken to a real person about this quandry...in addition to expressing their opinion here.

:)

16. lstead

lstead New Member

Jul 16, 1999
    If that's the case, they shouldn't sell any tickets, then they wouldn't lose money.

Less sarcastically, on an event like this, your largest costs are opening the event period, not adding people. With each added person, the cost / person becomes cheaper and your profit margin rises.

Adding another few sections would be almost pure profit.

17. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think it's pretty unlikely that vast numbers of fans are turned away at the box office and have no way in.

There are always lots of tickets available from individuals outside the gates, and with lots of group sales for this game, I expect there will be more than ever.

There was also all this carrying on before the home opener. Can anyone testify personally that large numbers of people who wanted to get in, couldn't score a ticket one way or another to that game?

18. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Let me toss this out there: how have other MLS clubs with down-sized capacities adjusted to an increased demand in tickets. What do they do at the Cotton Bowl, The Meadowlands, Rose Bowl, Arrowhead Stadium, etc.? Do they hold fats and true to a "hard" attendance cap, or do they recognize a "soft" cap, adjusting to circumstance as necessary?

The Magpie

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    1) I am unaware of any fan ever being turned away due to "downsized" seating.

2) If the Revs had had to turn away some fans during the first 3 or 4 games, hopefully prompting them to buy tickets in advance, I would have less trouble with this scenario, but to turn folks away from the last game of the season, and only the last game of the season, especially one that is arguably the most important home game in franchise history to date is mindbogglingly stupid.

3) This all sounds like a great ECG piece. Evan? Kyle? Red?

20. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    3) This all sounds like a great ECG piece. Evan? Kyle? Red?

* It's benig incorporated into a piece I've committed to, but it won't be the sole focus.

The Magpie

21. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    although it may very well just be banging your head against the wall...its something we're already used to and its necessary here.

a number: 508.384.9167
    ....for the revs ticket manager.

also, i'm sure if you requested to talk to todd directly...its probably going to happen if he's there.

22. worldcup76

worldcup76 Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    It would be stupid to turn away fans, why don't they just even open up one more section on each end going towards the middle. If they sell those then open up another two. That might just work.

23. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    that's right. now call them up and tell 'em that dammit!
    :mad:
    ....unless you have already
    :)

24. worldcup76

worldcup76 Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Any new numbers out?

25. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    helloooooooo!

you call them!

i just gave you a number to the man!

tell them you want the stadium open more!

stop being so damn voyueristic and get involved for god's sake!

...pretty please.