How many points do we need for a playoff spot ?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TRUJDUB, Jul 22, 2019.

1. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess I'm just ********ing INSANE then, but I already knew that.

2. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, you ********ers can't seem to realize just the lack of spark that Maloney brought in the attack. Lack of vision is putting it mildly for that kid. He puts the ball where the people WERE, not where they were going to be.

TRUJDUB and Alneri repped this.
  3. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    And we might not have needed it. FCC pressed and we had no outlet to the pressure. We kicked long to get over it and only had Zardes against a taller defender. Starting Romario in the 4-4-2 would have allowed someone to win the ball upfield plus would have messed up the new HC at FCC who probably saw us in a 4-2-3-1 in all film he was able to study.

TRUJDUB and Alneri repped this.
  4. Alneri

Alneri Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 3, 2018
    I do agree that it handcuffs the offense. But no worse than it was handcuffed with maloney. What did he do for the attack? Moving Santos to LB adds another threat offensively. I will say that I was expecting more from Argudo. He seemed to be developing some and has kinda fallen back off. Putting him on a side with no help hurts him even more. Putting Santos back there gives Argudo a helper. And adds another winger or forward and some pace to the team.

I would have been fine with trying Artur or Argudo back there in the same 4-4-2. We don't have the personnel for a fully functioning 4-2-3-1 right now, so why play it? They have shown moments of the 4-4-2 in a few games spanning injuries and call ups.

And just to put it out there, I didn't think about anyone else in the LB spot because the two that had ever seen time there were Santos or Maloney. I actually prefer the idea of Argudo with Santos ahead of him. Or even moreso, Artur. With Argudo ahead of him and Santos central so he can float more.

DGA57v2 and TRUJDUB repped this.
  5. Alneri

Alneri Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 3, 2018
    I don't think Maloney cost us the game. What I do think is that it hindered the entire team to have a player who cannot play endline to endline in a formation and tactic that requires it. A formation that usually results in subbing one or both outside backs due to the work load. Our left side was useless.

I am more pissed about the coaching. Porter should not have played a formation that is demanding on the defenders when you have no backups. I would have even been more okay with maloney at LB with a 4-4-2 that doesn't force him to push up as much. But fortunately, the 4-4-2 would have allowed us to play a better 11 that didn't include our 4th string LB.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  6. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You play your 11 best players and move around the guys who are versatile. Maloney isn’t even in the top 20 best players on this team . He should never ever start another game he was a college striker who has very little experience at Outside back ( and he plays RB not LB) this guy should be in the USL period

7. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I would be ok with trying that but Maloney should never play again he is that bad . He might not ever be a defender maybe he should be a back up winger in USL

8. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is why he is 4th string fvcking duh!!! You can’t have 3 or 4 starting quality players at every position! No shit he aint great, but someone who is good enough to start aint signing up for minimum salary and 2 appearances a year. No shit!!! This aint FIFA or football manager, you cant just sign 25 starters for your roster, shit dont work that way.

9. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    We all know that captain obvious

TyphonInc repped this.
  10. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    You're making the case for why he shouldn't be in the lineup.

TyphonInc and TRUJDUB repped this.
  11. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Anyways we got some big games coming up Wednesday. Will Toronto use all back ups to stay fresh for our game Saturday?

SKC @ Orlando - we could use some help all is not lost yet but our chances took a big hit . Hopefully the players still believe because none of us really think we can make it.

12. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    We're not making the playoffs if we drop points at home to the worst team in the league. Let's just see what we have for 2020.

13. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I agree but we’re not mathematically eliminated yet

YITBOS repped this.
  14. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The call of the loon.

chr1st repped this.
  15. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya think? Is that why he’s like 20th choice in the first place, durp? Once or twice a season, guy #25 on the roster has to play. It happens to every single team in every single league. And just like everyone else, our guy sucks.

That being said, he didn’t cost us this game, not by a mile. Zardes missing an empty net from inside the six yard box cost us the win, simple as. I know its easier to pick on the last guy on the roster than our supposed ‘best player’ DP Zardes, but Zardes had 4 chances to get a goal, and failed 4 times, once with an EMPTY NET FROM INSIDE THE SIX YARD BOX.

Zardes is a big boy, even he admitted he messed up and should have made it. So, since Zardes himself said he should have made it (implying not getting the three points is on him) I have no idea why people are trying to pin this on Maloney. He had nothing to do with the first goal, and you could spread the blame around on the second goal to 4 players (Crognale, Mensah, Maloney, Room) AND add that Artur was off the field and we were playing with 10 men. How, out of those 5 circumstances coming together, one guy can be picked out above the rest for singular blame is beyond me.

redi44crew, Draghignazzo and stanger repped this.
  16. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Loon... Balloon company... Google... Internet... New Zealand... Duncan Oughton... Toronto FC... Crew make the playoffs while TFC miss.

I know it's a stretch, but I follow your line of thinking and am on board with it.

TyphonInc repped this.
  17. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    My line of thinking?! I had a tiny bubble of hope left we could somehow go on the most improbable run of form in Crew history and reach a PO spot.

Then Crew burst that bubble and brought me back to reality. The season is lost. Without 6 points from FCC the dream run is dead. The only thing left to do is punish those North Kentucky losers on the 25th for daring to play soccer for the first 20 minutes last Saturday, and drink with friends.

Think of all the things we'll get done around the house this fall. I won't have to grow a stupid itchy playoff beard! There are still bright spots. There will be no post season for us.

TyphonInc repped this.
  18. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/mls/ says we have the same chances as making the playoffs as we did a month ago. About the only real difference between now and then is that we no longer have to worry about the Supporter's Shield. Then again, 23 other teams don't need to worry about that either.

19. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    These are the same folks that brought us the 2016 presidential polls, right?

This seems more accurate.
    http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/Columbus.html
    Down 0.05 from 1.3% to 0.09% chance after Sat's draw.

But it's not about the numbers. It's about the heart, and this sqaud doesn't have it.

LaMacchia repped this.
  20. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If we get 6 points in our next two matches that is 32 points . That is possible but the part that is unlikely is that NE & Montreal keep losing or drawing which would put us in reach

NEv@ NYRB
    Chicago @ NE

FC Dallas @ MTL
    TOR @ MTL

Orlando @ Minn
    ATL @ Orlando

Chi @ Portland ( tonight )
    Philly @ Chi

That’s too many favorable results needed for them to all come true . But getting 6 points would be huge and i think if we miss the playoffs it is ok .if we don’t self implode into last place and get more injuries it hampers Next season .

21. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Columbus Crew is not going to make the 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs. They will lose any combination of the following three matches: At NYC, at Atlanta, vs Philly. I hate to say it, but the remainder of this season is simply tryouts for next.

TRUJDUB, hardhead and Draghignazzo repped this.
  22. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) the overall polls were more or less correct, clinton did win the popular vote, didn’t take into account that pesky electoral college though.

2) 538 gave trump a much higher chance of winning than basically everyone else (not counting right-leaning media, obviously).

Just sayin’

chr1st and hardhead repped this.
  23. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Take it to the politics forum, Kyle!!!

24. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    While the national result, Clinton+2, was within the margin of error of most national polls, the state polls were dreadfully inaccurate in 2016. I did a roundup by state in the politics forum back then but lots of states had actual results that fell outside of their polls margins of error. Pollsters weight their results to a model of the expected electorate and they turned out to be wrong in 2016. That's why the NYT had Clinton with a 99% chance of victory on election night as the first results came in.

25. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree.
    Maloney's bad play over the 1st 30 minutes allowed (directly or indirectly) for FCC to take a 2-Nil lead.

Zardes not being able to adjust to a ball being redirected by a defender literally inches from him while in mid swing, seems completely acceptable. Zardes followed up his near miss (off the cross bar) with two on target headers that required amazing saves to keep the ball out of the net. I appreciate Zardes willingness to accept the blame, but he isn't the bad guy here.

Apologizes in advance for what seems to be pilling on Maloney, but he was the worse player on a bad team those opening 30 minutes. We can blame Porter, Zardes, Afful, Trapp, just about everyone on the field could have done a step better over the opening third. Maloney needed to be two steps better though.

Hats off to FCC, they came to play a rivalry game and took advantage of the opportunities Columbus presented them.

TRUJDUB repped this.