How Long til we know if the NASL is Sanctioned

Discussion in 'NASL' started by eclipse02, Oct 26, 2010.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NSC reportedly is in discussions with Traffic to be a partner in the Stars. This would help Minnesota meet the one D2 req they don't meet, a loaded investor.

IMS
    http://www.insidemnsoccer.com/2010/09/29/nasl-submits-bid-for-division-2-sanctioning-for-2011/
    It was also learned that Traffic Sports USA has been in negotiations with the National Sports Center (NSC) to become a partner of the Minnesota Stars and take over the player salary portion of the team.

Kris Bjerkness, general manager of the NSC Stars, would not confirm Traffic’s interest but he did speak of the team’s current situation on Wednesday. “Our status hasn’t changed,” said Bjerkness. “We are not in a position to be able to field a team next season unless we find a new partner or owner. We are still actively searching and have had discussions with numerous parties in that process.”

Bjerkness did not elaborate on his comment about a “new owner” which is not something that was previously discussed by the NSC. “While we support the efforts of the USSF to upgrade the standards for pro soccer, the new standards will necessitate that we find an organization or individual willing to join us as a financial partner,” said Bjerkness in a press release on August 30th.

2. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Traffic buying AC St.Louis?

3. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, why don't they just buy every single team in 2nd division and run a Traffic Soccer League? Stupid jerks.

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hadn't heard that. Supposedly there is a local guy who is trying to buy AC St Louis.

5. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true. Noone is sure what the hold up is exactly. The guy, Ryan Woods, is part of a real estate group that is very wealthy, and very active. I won't post all the different links, but if you are interested just go to St.Louis Business Journal and search for his name. His group is busy with a big development deal on the edge of St.Louis city limits (was some talk of him putting a SSS there, but that's another story) and is currently tied up in a lawsuit in Newport Beach, CA over a condo deal. IMS also has covered some of what he's all about too. Rumor has it that it's going to go through, but we all know how rumors are.

6. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, they are supposedly in talks to invest in the Stars to keep them going. As outlined above a local guy is reportedly in talks with ACSTL. If both deals happen, then NASL stands a decent shot to be sanctioned.

7. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If these two deals work out, I'd say NASL is a Stone Cold Lock of the Century to get sanctioned. They'd need a waiver for the first season for the 75% US rule, but I'm sure that with San Antonio coming in for Montreal in 2012 and thus making the 75%, USSF will grant it.

8. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't remember if this was previously discussed, but was thinking that they would have to consider PR as a domestic team. Because from a purely legal stand point, they are located in the US.

9. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    discussed but I dont think there has been a definate anwser but Im pretty sure the concensus is that PR has its own federation and from FIFA (and therefore USSF) standpoint it isnt part of the USSF.

10. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya they are technically part of the US but they play under the PR Fed so they don't need to play in, and win, the USOC to get into the Champions League.

I can see that easily being waived though. A second division with 8 teams, 3 outside the US, is better than no second division at all.

11. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    It's not that we are "technically" part of the USA, it's "WE ARE" part of the USA, but sport wise we are not.

12. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why, if the USSF really wants a D2, they can interpret their own rule however they want to.

13. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was viewing it from a "restraint of trade" option. It could be viewed that it would put limitiations for a US based company from doing business in the US. That was my line of thought.

For example if they / NASL had didn't receive sanctioning because they were over the % of domestic clubs and PR was the difference. What would their legal options be?

14. Nicholas Murray

Nicholas Murray New Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Tampa, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Would they have any? As it stands with the Islanders playing in the SuperCopa DirecTV, which this year is Puerto Rico's qualifying tournament for the CFU Championship early next year, I don't think NASL can claim them as a U.S. team.

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, I think the USSF would have to count any PR based clubs as part of the domestic percentage.

16. law5guy

law5guy Member

Jun 26, 2001
  17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm talking about law, not USSF policy.

Based on U.S. law, it is possibly illegal for the USSF to discriminate against U.S. clubs with regards to sanctioning - and the Puerto Rico Islanders are a U.S. club.

18. TheHun

TheHun Member

May 5, 2005
    This will be a busy holiday season ...

while the D-2/ USL / NASL situation plays out, US Soccer is dealing with two major issues:

- the 2022 World Cup (TBA in December)
    - the lawsuit against US Soccer by Charlie Stillitano's creditor (pending)

America's soccer history is littered with fueding between power entities (see 1920's soccer wars, 1982 NASL v NFL). A few people are going to have to put their animosity aside to make soccer work in North America.

Lastly, it may not be the worse thing to have ownership of several clubs by one entity - after all, it worked for MLS as Hunt and Auschwitz had once owned most the the teams.

It it were not for their investment, the league and its new clubs would never exist.

The is still "bad blood" between the NASL team owners and the USL - the question would be - will they merge and work together, or spite themselves and fight at all costs to ruin each other ?

Let's hope wiser heads prevail.

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Uh, I'm assuming that's a harmless typo

20. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    If I recall, weren't you dead set on this sort of thing several years ago? It's one of the things you hated about MLS...right?:confused:

Sorry if I am wrong but I do seem to recall...

21. Nicholas Murray

Nicholas Murray New Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Tampa, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Except for the fact that they compete in Caribbean competitions, for example the CFU Caribbean Champions Cup, and don't compete in the U.S. Open Cup.

Anyway, opening day of the AGM today, hopefully we'll start hearing pieces of news at some point this afternoon.

22. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It starts today? (obsucure Youth of Today reference) I thought it began Nov. 8. Either way, I hope they do release some info. things have been pretty quitet on the sanctioning front.

23. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Sunday november 7 and monday november 8 and I read somewhere that even CPB was invited. I guess these guys must be participating to enjoy the free food (lol)

24. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think your the only person that got the point I was trying to make. Hey was finally able to use something I learned in that business law class that I took in the late 80's. :D

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It's similar to why MLS can't treat U.S. and Canadian players as domestic league-wide while counting other countries players as foreign.

U.S. law does not allow for treating different foreigners differently. In short, you can't create one set of rules for Canadians and a separate rule for other foreigners. Obviously, Congress could change that, possibly with some rider to NAFTA that allows in certain industries (like sports) for Canadians and Mexicans to be treated different from other foreigners - but I'm not holding my breath, and I don't think MLS is currently lobbying for any such change.

While the Puerto Rico Islanders are not under the aegis of USSF, and hence do not participate in the U.S. Open Cup, they are a United States based team, employing players in the United States. For the USSF to set up a sanctioning requirement that is based on United States based teams being a minimum percentage, I am guessing that - for that purpose - Puerto Rico Islanders would legally have to count as a U.S. team.

Of course, the USSF could just fact that in and adjust the percentage accordingly. And who's to say they didn't?