How interesting is this?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Farhaway, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Farhaway

Farhaway Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Bunbury
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    This is from Gareth Crook's team of the week, the interesting comment is all in the last paragraph and how true it is!!!!

Goalkeeper - Jordan Pickford (Sunderland)

upload_2016-12-19_14-12-38.gif
    Pickford has made 67 saves in the Premier League this term; only Burnley’s Tom Heaton has made more (77)
    This young man is quickly making a name for himself. Jordan Pickford's start as a Premier League player was a little shaky but he has grown in confidence with every game.

What impresses me is his cool head. He is playing under immense pressure at the Stadium of Light as the club fights for survival, but nevertheless is holding his nerve brilliantly. The save from Watford midfielder Nordin Amrabat wasn't bad but the punch in the heat of the battle followed by the saves from Daryl Janmaat and then Odion Ighalo were simply brilliant.

This is an English goalkeeper with a very bright future.

Defender - Patrick van Aanholt (Sunderland)
    upload_2016-12-19_14-13-12.gif
    Six of van Aanholt’s seven top-flight goals for the Black Cats have come on home soil
    I could have gone for Danny Rose, Ryan Bertrand or Marcos Alonso, all of whom were outstanding this weekend. But I have gone for Patrick van Aanholt, who really doesn't want to be stuck at the bottom of the table at Christmas. The stats say that if you are, you will almost certainly be going down.

The run by Van Aanholt from deep in his own half into Watford's penalty area for the only goal of the match epitomised the desire, and it will be required to get Sunderland out of the bottom three. Since striker Victor Anichebe's introduction into the team alongside the always-dangerous Jermain Defoe, boss David Moyes has a chance of getting more favourable results at the Stadium of Light.

However, I do wish the Sunderland manager wasn't so publicly negative about his team's capabilities. His team might be in the bottom three but it doesn't mean that they are not capable of special moments. What Van Aanholt produced was one of those special moments and I am sure there is more where that came from - if only the manager exuded a little more belief.

2. Tazzbob

Tazzbob Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    I just hope we don't loose what good players we have over the Christmas break
    Marry Christmas and happy New year to all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk