How far would you drive to watch professional soccer?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by madhoman, Jul 19, 2004.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    The longest I've ever driven for soccer was well over 1,000 miles ... I went from Omaha to DC for the 2002 All-Star Game and again the next year for a July 4 wedding plus DC-Metros with US-Paraguay in Columbus on the return leg.

Doing that makes all these shorter drives (KC, Chicago, Denver, Dallas) seem much more pleasurable.

2. JPH

JPH BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 18, 1998
    Jersey Shoreish
    As part of a vacation from North Jersey to Savannah a few years back, I went to a Battery game in Charleston. Would that count?

3. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Depending if I have time off or not, I suppose 6-8 hour drive wouldn't be too bad to see the USA play, especially for World Cup Qualifying.

As for club teams... they could be playing in my backyard and I still wouldn't watch them. :/

4. caddisfly

caddisfly New Member

May 24, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Some of the Timbers Army went on a road trip to Calgary last year which is just shy of 800 miles one way. The coach saw us on our way in and gave us all free tickets and the players looked a bit shocked to see us at the game. Road trips with friends are always a good time and adding soccer to the mix makes it that much more fun.

5. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    I've driven 8 hours to Dallas and 12 to Denver from East KC. I'm not sure I'll make the Denver drive again unless I can wrap a week around it somehow.

My longest drive was a 52-hour trek over 4 days from East KC to Playa del Carmen, Mexico that I made with my Dad. He wanted a car at his 2nd home and bribed me to join with 2 weeks on the beach, diving, unbelievable food, abundant Swedes, and unlimited Sol. It worked. The first thing I did was go see Inter Playa del Carmen beat up on Cozumel. They have since been promoted to D2 and now have a D3 "B" team. I will fly next time. :)

6. T Nitty

T Nitty New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    MD
    400 miles to Columbus for the Grenada game, 400 miles to Boston for the El Salvador match in September, 30 miles to RFK anytime there's a DC or USMNT game, and 400 miles again to Columbus in November for that qualifier.

I consider myself very lucky to be this close to these matches. We'll see how big of a fan I am when they start playing the qualifiers somewhere other than the east coast.

I sure do miss the ease of travel in the UK and Europe. :(

But I will be there for the final match in Germany! :D

7. evanpemsocr

evanpemsocr New Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Rocky Mount, Va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my father and i have driven 8 hours to crew stadium to see us play grenada and to see the mens college cup. and we drive about 4 hours when we go to dc games.

8. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    What's your problem? You're like a CD gone bad...

9. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've made the trip from Phoenix to LA several times. It's a shade under 400 miles.

10. pmririshman

pmririshman New Member

Sep 3, 2000
    I flew from Dallas to Seattle just to watch Celtic last summer. To bad they got spanked by Manchester United.

11. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    flying don't count!

12. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I put 200 as my drive limit, but I've flown much further for matches.

13. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    On consecutive weekends, I drove (with a friend) from Columbus to Tampa, then Columbus to Boston, then two weeks later, from Columbus to Chicago - all to see the Mutiny play. It was awesome.

Don't get olujosh into this discussion - he's driven from Michigan to Denver before, plus numerous other road trips.

14. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    One day when I have more money I will go further, but for now, just 50 miles.

15. 1800-WorldCup

1800-WorldCup Read Nomadic Gatherings - TravelNotes.org/magun

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Aug 5, 2001
    Europe
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Drive?

I'd fly.

Flew from Europe to Rio -- Maracana, to Buenos Aires -- River Plate.

I hitch-hiked from London to Split (Croatia) to watch Spurs, hitch-hiked to Spain in 1982 -- for the World Cup.

16. jhope

jhope BigSoccer Supporter

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Mar 18, 1999
    San Antonio, TX USA
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I drive from San Antonio to Dallas to see the Burn play about 8-10 games per year. It is roughly 600 miles round trip. Most times I leave about 1:30 pm for a 7:30 pm match and return the same night around 2:00 am.

Crazy fan in San Antonio

MLS in San Antonio

17. Chip

Chip New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Connecticut
    My father and I are/were season ticket holders to NE Revolution. His main residence for the past two seasons has been PEI (Canada). He would routinely make the 700+ mi trip (each way) to watch regular season games. Generally he would arrange his schedule to come down for a few weeks at a time to catch a batch of games.

I live 85 miles from 'the razor' and have made the round trip many a day for a game. But that's nothing compared to my dad.

18. Stephen1164

Stephen1164 New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It takes me a 3 hour drive to get to Columbus to catch a CRew game. I caught the Championsworld Game and practice in Pittsburgh which was an hour's drive then drove to Toronto to see 2 more games. Soccer is the Best.

19. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've driven from London to Sunderland in a day for an Arsenal game, 5 hours each way.

I've gone by coach to Paris for an Arsenal game which took ages. And we lost. To a goal from an ex-Spurs player. From the halfway line. Should have stayed at home.

A friend of a friend has a Liverpool season ticket, but he lives in London. He drives up to every game at Anfield.

20. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

May 9, 2003
    Toronto
    Went from Toronto to Lisbon to watch 5 EURO 2004 games. Is that far enough....haha

Furthest I have ever driven for soccer was Toronto to NY (Giants stadium) which is about 8 hours one way.

21. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easily over 300 miles. In '03, I drove from Birmingham, AL (where I was living at the time to games in:

Miami: 810 miles

Houston: 667 miles

Columbus: 570 miles

So far, I've only been to one game in '04, but I flew :D

22. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know Sachin and bunch of guys drove from DC to Miami for the Argentina match last year, stayed one night, and drove right back. (1062 miles)

23. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    If driving was the only option, then there is no limit to how far. You could even drive from Scotland to Africa/Asia. It doesn't even merit thinking about!

24. Pattrick

Pattrick New Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Utrecht, Netherlands
    Let's see... the closest "soccer" stadium to my house is three miles away - but I'd be crazy to visit an Utrecht match. The best Dutch team (AFC Ajax, obviously) is only 25 miles away from where I live, so that's far enough for me :D

I visited the Netherlands vs. USA match in Amsterdam last february too :D

25. jonam

jonam Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Westfalenstadion
    Drove yesterday from Berlin to Dortmund (500km, 4 hours drive).

Normally I stay a night at my parents (90km to Dortmund) before or after the match and go by train (1h20m) which stops directly at Westfalenstadion.