How far would you drive to watch professional soccer?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by madhoman, Jul 19, 2004.

1. madhoman

madhoman New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    NYC
    Put some gas in the car and go. How far would you drive?

Assume that it would be to see US MNT vs another Top 15 FIFA rankings opponent.

2. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    12 hours, even more depending on how much time off I have.

3. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hmmm...if it were a really big game or another team i really like such as holland, i guess to orlando, farther if i could get friends to go. orlando is around 200+ mi away from ft lauderdale. so its like a 3 hour ride.

4. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow, thats devotion!

5. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    LA and san diego arent that far from where i live so i would catch a good game over there if i really wanted to see the game i would drive as fas as to san fransisco which is about 7 hours from where i live

6. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    My personal longest drive so far has been straight to Milan without sleep, stay for a day and see the game at night to drive straight back to A'dam afterwards. I've never been so happy about being an inexperienced driver... I didn't have to drive :D

Btw, Milan and the highways surrounding it are a real b.i.a.t.c.h...

Isn't flying a better option in the US?

7. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    Furthest I've driven is probably from Amsterdam to Munich to watch England beat Germany 5-1.

Also drove from London to Sunderland for the Turkey game - seemed like we were going to the end of the universe.

8. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Don't know about drive, but a while back I travelled from San Francisco to Wembley to see a playoff final. Well worth it!!

9. B Kaiser

B Kaiser Member

Jun 26, 2003
    Liberty, MO/ Columbi
    last year, i drove from kc to barcelona to see a game!!!

10. madhoman

madhoman New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    NYC
    KC to Barcelona? That must have been some serious toll action :)

11. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My closest pro team is 200 miles away - KC Wizards. I've also been to pro games in Denver.

12. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I drove from Cleveland to Syracuse to Rochester to Cleveland for an A-League double header. That's about 300 miles one way.

13. rtsoccer

rtsoccer New Member

Oct 21, 2001
    My team is gone forever, but I drive all over Florida to watch the US mens team. I have flown from Tampa to New England for pro soccer several times.

14. SLC Soccer Gal

SLC Soccer Gal New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    SLC, Utah
    300 miles would be very close :)

15. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't drive more than 70 miles for an MLS or A-League game. I'll drive 1000 miles for any game that counts in the big Euro leagues (EPL, Football League,Bundesliga...) Brazilian, Mexican, or Argentine leagues as long as they are i the US or Canada. But since those leagues will never play a game that counts in those countires the opportunity will never come up. I'll drive 300 miles for an exhibition as long as they are big teams (ManU, Madrid) or West Ham. Other than that screw it, I'll watch it on TV.

16. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back in Germany, being a Borussia Dortmund fan living down in Bavaria, I regularly drove over 300 miles to see BVB play at the Westfalenstadion. I can't say that I'd regularly do it for MLS soccer. I've done it once so far (San Antonio to Dallas) and I didn't particularly enjoy the match. Would do it for the national team though. Did make it to the April 28, 2004 match against Mexico.

Keith

17. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife and i drive from Tampa to Miami for matches all the time.
    We use to drive down to Ft.Lauderdale to watch the Miami Fusion :( .
    Just last weekend we drove over to Orlando to watch Orlando Ajax vs.
    the Cocoa Expos.
    The farthest we driven is to Charleston South Carolina to watch the
    Battery play.

18. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Drove from San Francisco bay area to Los Angeles (380 miles) last summer to see ManUtd vs. Club America in a Champions' World friendly. Will be flying from San Francisco to New Jersey soon to see ManUtd vs. AC Milan in another Champions' World friendly.

Of course the family vacations were/will be accomodated around these trips. So, it's not like these trips are exclusively for the matches.

Haven't travelled long distances for the US national team yet, but have attended their matches whenever they're in the area. I guess what makes me travel these distances for ManUtd is because those are once-a-year chances to attend their matches. (Can't fly to Europe, no.) If the US national team played only 1 match per year in the US, I would travel such long distances for them too.

19. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's the farthest I've driven.

20. Snarf

Snarf Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Eagle Mountain, UT
    I drove from Sacramento to LA for MLS cup 2003. USMNT I'd drive about that far for as well. I wouldn't do it for a worthless preseason game between two teams from another country however. If they want my money, they better come to me.

21. WishHoustonHAdATeam

WishHoustonHAdATeam New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Houston Texas
    I drive 250+ to see the Burn play...I would drive 1000 to watch the Nats.

22. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    We go a little over 300 miles to see the Rapids*, we will be going 600 miles this weekend to see Bayern Munich (and some English team).

* Okay, they didn't look like a professional team last Saturday, they'll be back, I think, I hope ...

23. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've driven to KC from Peoria, and tomarrow I will be driving from Chicago to Columbus. Both trips take about 6 hours or so, give or take a bit. Both matches are to see the Chicago Fire.

24. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I've driven from New York to Raleigh NC to watch 2 preseason matches fro Dundee FC last July . Got to go out drinking with the team on their last night in the States :)

25. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And a match in San Diego would be just about at the 12-hour point for me.