How bad can this get?

Discussion in 'Minnesota United FC' started by Bluecat82, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 games. 2 losses. 11 goals against.

We are being called the laughing stock of the league, the poster child against expansion, the worst team of all time and been compared to MLS2 sides. It's even been suggested we get special roster rules so we don't go 0-34.

How much lower can we sink?

henryo repped this.
  2. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Plenty of blame to go around. The whole turning a NASL team into a MLS squad in six months was always going to be tough. I do think we have quite a few good pieces to the puzzle. But, you can't coverup that back, which would have been the first thing I would have worked on. Thoroughly not impressed by Demidov or Alvbage.
    I do think we have the components to make a decent squad, but Heath is channeling his inner Klinsmann, and his formations and starting lineups are a bit puzzling.
    And is it a little weird that for the second game in a row, Heath did not use his third sub?:confused:

3. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure I would have wanted to get off the relatively warm bench to go out and make snow angels in the dying moments of that debacle. :)

I hate to spend DP money on a keeper, but it may come to that.

Dead Fingers repped this.
  4. C Regan

C Regan New Member

Oct 26, 2015
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when its 5-1, TWICE now, why doesn't Danladi see the pitch? Would have been a nice second half highlight in a game out of reach.

Bluecat82 repped this.
  5. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC

Man, I cringe when I hear that, but you might be right.

Bluecat82 repped this.
  6. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am worried, especially with that defense, but still don't feel the results are a true indication of this teams worth. Our one true plus the offense and midfield was defeated by the snow and that left our awful defense on their own.

Bluecat82 repped this.
  7. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be novel this weekend to play on a dry field. :)

8. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC

This was our lineup. Personally, switch Ramirez/Venegas, and put another midfielder back for cover. Take off Taylor.

EDIT: Taylor and Thiessen were switched yesterday, IIRC.

Bluecat82 repped this.
  9. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
  10. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's right it poured at the PDX game. Maybe we'll have Hail or locusts for the Rapids match.

11. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the fact that DSG Park sits on the edge of the Rocky Mountain Arsenal Wildlife Refuge, a stampede is not totally out of the question.

12. UCFWayne

UCFWayne Member

United States
    Apr 22, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OCSC fan here. Watched both your games because I loved Molino, liked Heath, and curious how the expansion teams were going to do this year.

I feel your pain, been through the expansion years and they can be rough. Unfortunately, Heath isnt the best coach. In fact, he never has shown an understanding for defense. He only knows how to press forward for goals which will leave you completely vulnerable. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the bleeding will not stop any time soon. Not only does he not know what defense is, his substitutions almost never make sense.

I think his coaching deficiencies are one thing, but top that off with a roster that was thrown together last minute on a budget is a recipe for disaster. Your club will need to splash some cash to make up for some of these problems in the summer. I hope they do.

I dont know what the MLS record is for goals allowed. I know OCSC was the worst last year and let in 60. Unfortunately, I think you guys will be 70+. I heard a local brewery named a beer after you guys. Drink up, you will need it.

Dead Fingers and Bluecat82 repped this.
  13. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    I agree. Fix the back, and I think while this team won't be close to a playoff contender, it won't be an epic disaster either.

One takeaway for MLS, however, is making the jump this fast isn't a good idea. Even if the decisions weren't great, another year to plan would have made a world of difference IMO.

NORML, Bluecat82 and UCFWayne repped this.
  14. UCFWayne

UCFWayne Member

United States
    Apr 22, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your team moved up to MLS, but your front office is still stuck in NASL mode.

Bluecat82 repped this.
  15. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #15 NORML, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    That darn MN Nice always getting us in trouble. Entering the league a year early so Miami could get everything in order and enter the league in 2018. Wait. What? Miami isn't entering in 2018? But I thought after all those other delays this time the Miami Beckhams would be ready. I mean Miami is a a prime sports market that wasn't just recently hoodwinked into building a financial albatross of a baseball stadium and Mr. Beckham has been basically living down in Miami pressing the flesh and making himself a everyday fixture of the community.

Bluecat82 and UCFWayne repped this.
  16. thekorean

thekorean Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Wasn't the plan for them to be thrifty until their stadium is finished, and then go all in?

Bluecat82 repped this.
  17. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to but-in. I just wanted to get the flavor of thought among MNUFC supporters. You will be happy to know that the forecast for Denver on Saturday is Sunny and 80 degrees f. Best of luck you Loons!

C Regan, Dead Fingers and Bluecat82 repped this.
  18. UCFWayne

UCFWayne Member

United States
    Apr 22, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a good plan to help build new fans/supporters in the twin cities. You dont have to be a playoff team year one, just dont be historically bad...

19. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
  20. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
  21. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    A new hope. LOL

22. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
  23. UCFWayne

UCFWayne Member

United States
    Apr 22, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heath was always terrible with subs in Orlando. Dont expect his subs to be good or make sense.

24. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Last Line of Defense repped this.
  25. Last Line of Defense

Jul 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly didn't expect much from this team at the start of the season, but now it looks like for sure we will finish bottom 3. The front office decisions still are terrible in my opinion. Heath isn't that great of a coach, and Orlando let him go for a reason. Just because he experienced coaching an expansion side isn't a good enough reason to hire him. Lagos and Magee getting front office positions just because they are local was worrisome.

Lagos scouting Scandinavia just because it fits with Minnesota also didn't sit right with me. I could care less where all the players are from as long as it is a decent side. Do you see MLS sides pillaging that region for successful talent? No, I see a lot of great South American players though. Although I do care if they are homegrown US players as that makes it a little more exciting for me.