Houston Dynamo v. Portland Timbers, Saturday, July 29

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Jul 24, 2017.

?

Result?

Poll closed Jul 29, 2017.
  1. Dynamo win

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Dynamo tie

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Dynamo lose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. It's been a long time without a $25 hot dog.

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Who: Houston Dynamo v. Portland Timbers
    When: Saturday, July 29 @ 7:00 pm CDT
    Where: BBVA Compass Stadium; Houston, TX
    Records: Portland Timbers (8-8-6), 4th in West
    Houston Dynamo (9-7-5), 3rd in West
    TV: KUBE-57
    Radio: 610 am/1010 am (Spanish)

This is the 22nd regular season game of the year for Houston and the 23rd for Portland. This is the 2nd and final regular season game between the teams. Portland won 4-2 at home back in March. The last time the Timbers came to Houston was a 3-1 win for the Dynamo in September of 2016. Portland has not won in Houston in five tries.

Portland's most recent game was a road win, 1-2, at Vancouver on Sunday, July 23. That makes them 1-1-3 in their last 5 league games scoring 8 goals and allowing 11. So far this year Portland is 3-6-2 in road league games. Their next game after playing Houston is hosting LA Galaxy on August 6.

The Dynamo are 2-1-2 over the last five league games scoring 8 goals and allowing 6. Houston is 8-0-2 in home league games this year outscoring opponents, 28 to 9.

The Dynamo next travel to Salt Lake on August 5 and then host San Jose on August 12.

2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Timbers @ Dynamo, all-time:

08/14/11 HOU 2-1 POR
    05/15/12 HOU 0-0 POR
    04/27/14 HOU 1-1 POR
    05/16/15 HOU 3-1 POR
    09/24/16 HOU 3-1 POR

That's 3-0-2 with 9 goals scored and 4 allowed.

3. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good litmus test coming up with us hosting Portland.

The heat will be intense all this week, better get ready for it PTFC players and traveling support. It doesn't cool off here in July or August until the Sun has fully set. Have fun up in that nook our FO places away supporters. Y'all will have direct Sun until halftime!

7seven7 repped this.
  4. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    portlandia sucks!

5. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2017-07-29-houston-dynamo-vs-portland-timbers/preview

HOUSTON
    • Suspended: None
    • Suspended after next yellow card: None
    • International Duty: None
    • Injury Report: OUT – George Malki (torn ACL); DOUBTFUL – M Eric Alexander (right knee MCL sprain); PROBABLE – GK Tyler Deric (lower right leg injury)
    Projected Starting XI (4-3-3, right to left): Tyler Deric – A.J. DeLaGarza, Adolfo Machado, Leonardo, DaMarcus Beasley – Ricardo Clark, Juan David Cabezas, Alex – Alberth Elis, Erick Torres, Romell Quioto

PORTLAND
    • Suspended: None
    • Suspended after next yellow card: None
    • International Duty: None
    • Injury Report: OUT – D Gbenga Arokoyo (Achilles tear), D Liam Ridgewell (quad injury), D Amobi Okugo (knee injury), D Chance Myers (hamstring injury); QUESTIONABLE: M Diego Chara (hamstring injury), D Vytas (calf injury), M Jack Barmby (ankle injury)
    Projected Starting XI (4-2-3-1, right to left): Jake Gleeson – Zarek Valentin, Larrys Mabiala, Lawrence Olum, Roy Miller – Diego Chara, Darlington Nagbe – Dairon Asprilla, Diego Valeri, Sebastian Blanco – Fanendo Adi

REFEREES
    Referee: Jose Carlos Rivero
    Assistant Referees: Jeffrey Hosking, Nick Uranga
    4th Official: Ismail Elfath

6. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Weather forecast for Saturday night:

Very hot and very humid.

7. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully we will get to see the new guy get some minutes and show us what he's got. Good luck in the sweat box though... I'm that will be a rude awaking for him.

It's this time of year that I love watching other teams spirit break at about the 65th minute because of how humid it is!

CeltTexan repped this.
  8. webfoot

webfoot Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Corpse in Houston, spirit in Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Holy crap.
    Look at that injury report for my Timbers. Pulled quad, pulled hamstring x 2, pulled calf. These guys have had more pulls than a craigslist massage therapist.

9. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did our FO give our new Argie #25???

10. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    You missed all that? There were articles, tweets, quotes from Ching, etc. all week. The Dynamo only have 2 available numbers under 30. One is typically for defenders (4 I think), one is 25. Martinez sought Ching's approval to wear 25, Ching gave it.

11. SogeJ

SogeJ Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    How did torres miss that.

12. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hydro repped this.
  13. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a big game in the standings. We better pick this s**t up.

14. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So good goal or offside? I thought the pass was forward but Eddie and Glen saw it square.

15. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he was offside. Some are saying that Adi was originally offside on the first pass into.

16. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    repin1836 and um_chili repped this.
  17. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Wish we had a player half as good as Valeri... he adds so much to a team.

18. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Stole that game with the store cameras recording us. Bold.

I am growing to like the kid.

Leonardo had a nightmare and the defense in general was giving too much space. We kind of looked like the overheated old man team today. Who decided 7pm in July was wise? Our inability to shut down 3 people attacking at a time was pitiful.

We were bailed out on the offsides but Eddie is wrong, the pass is played forward -- dude has to run forward to receive it -- and it doesn't matter that he was in the "lateral" position because the keeper whiffed, so he is already past the next to last defender, and offside unless the ball is also played sideways, which it wasn't. Ballsy call.

If we'd lost that I thought the coach's lineups were stupid. How long have the Hondurans been done? The element of speed is what creates the counters and forces people to take us seriously. But having gotten some result out of it I will give some slack, some people got more rest.

Dynamo_Forever and um_chili repped this.
  19. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Yea, I was frustrated neither Quioto or Elis were starting... should have been at least one of them.

20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lines in that stadium getting in and getting any food are long because of poor staffing. That's a competence issue, not a crowd issue.

The guy added 2 more pics - considering the announced attendance was 19,382, it would imply that about 85% of seats were "sold" which means that figure is really bogus or a lot of folks ate their tickets. The manufactured enthusiasm brigade can keep beating the drum but pictures tell a different story on how excited folks are to come out and watch this team play

TX Bill and Hydro repped this.
  21. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    No one will argue the Dynamo FO/organization hasn't been poorly run for a long time now.

I don't know why you have to do this in every single game day thread? Cool.

Don't bitch about people not going if you're not willing to go yourself.

The team is actually decent this season and high up in the standings... undefeated at home with an 8-0-3 mark buy clearly you don't bother to attend merely cry online as a grown man.

22. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just shut it dude, I had season tickets for 11 seasons, this FO/ownership ran it into the ground and now wants to pretend that enthusiasm is back where it was 5 years ago but the pictures dont lie - they aren't filling this stadium because the crap they tried to sell is the last 2 years eroded the fanbase.

8-0-3 at home and zero buzz about this team outside the shrinking core fanbase. I suspect the attendance figures tonight - assuming they are accurate - came from a mix of large discounted group sales (note the blocks of seats both filled and empty) and carryover from having these games in all the Manchester Derby packages where folks got the Dynamo tickets as sort of a "throw-in" as part of the deal.

And the poor stadium design for airflow makes nights like this miserable.

Hydro repped this.
  23. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    So what is your point exactly? We (who actually go) have eyes we can see how many people are there why do you obnoxiously feel the need to post about the attendance ever single game? Houston was never going to be Portland or Seattle the enthusiasm for the Dynamo has never really been like those places. Check out an Astros game circa 2013. Check out some Rockets games.

Houston is what it is.

Am I frustrated with how crappy the organization has been? Yes. Do I feel the need to post those obnoxious tweets every game while I sit on my butt at home complaining about how nobody goes when I don't go myself? No.

repin1836 repped this.
  24. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hydro repped this.
  25. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for posting Levy! This helped clarify the problem.

I just watched the game this morning (I like watching a soccer game at a faster speed the day after!! Full game in 15 min!). I was fooled by the TV coverage, where they concentrated on the last few seconds before the score. Eddie made it sound like it should hae been a goal. This GIF clarifies where the offsides was!!

I also don't understand why all the empty seats. I wonder if all those tickets they sold with the Manchester Derby package were restricted and they cannot be sold online??

There were nice bargains online. I saw Club seats for $40 at some point. I was considering going, but then my family decided that Steak 48 was a better place to spend our money and beat the Summer heat.

Hahaha, I see that the sunshine brigade is back!!! "Hey, don't post anything against the Dynamo, or I will call you names like a grown man that I am". HAHAHAHA!!!