Houston Dynamo v. New England Revolution, Saturday, March 31

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Mar 25, 2018.

?

Result?

Poll closed Mar 31, 2018.
  1. Dynamo win

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Dynamo tie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dynamo lose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I'm just here for the return of Jalil Anibaba.

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Who: Houston Dynamo v. New England Revolution
    When: Saturday, March 31 @ 7:30 pm CDT
    Where: BBVA Compass Stadium; Houston, TX
    Records: New England (1-1-1), 5th in East
    Houston Dynamo (1-1-1), 6th in West
    TV: KUBE-57
    Radio: 95.7 HD-3, 1010 am (Spanish)

This is the fourth regular season game of the year for both teams. In 2017 the Dynamo lost 2-0 at Foxboro on April 8. The last time the Revs came to Houston was a 3-3 draw in the 2016 opener.

New England's most recent game was a home draw, 2-2, against NYCFC on Saturday, March 24.

New England finished 7th in the East in 2017 with 45 points. The Revs are now 3-1-1 in their last five games scoring 9 goals and allowing 8. They have lost their only away game so far this year and went 1-13-3 on the road last year. They next return home to host Montreal on Friday, April 6.

The Dynamo are now 1-3-1 in the last five games including the playoffs scoring 7 goals and allowing 9. Houston is 1-1-0 so far at home this year and was 12-1-4 in home league games last year.

The Dynamo next have a bye on April 7 (the Red Bull game was postponed to August) and then go on the road April 14 at San Jose. Houston then returns home to host Toronto on April 21.

2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    New England @ Dynamo, all-time:

07/22/06 HOU 1-1 NER
    05/19/07 HOU 0-1 NER
    06/12/08 HOU 0-2 NER
    07/25/09 HOU 0-1 NER
    10/10/10 HOU 1-2 NER
    04/17/11 HOU 1-0 NER
    09/29/12 HOU 2-0 NER
    05/18/13 HOU 0-2 NER
    03/08/14 HOU 4-0 NER
    10/16/14 HOU 1-2 NER
    03/06/16 HOU 3-3 NER

That's 3-6-2 with 13 goals scored and 14 allowed. The Revs have historically been the most successful MLS team when visiting Houston.

3. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    new england, much like old england, sucks!

CeltTexan repped this.
  4. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Lee Nguyen was on the bench for them last week. He always seems to have a good game against us.

I would rather have him than Martinez right now.

5. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nguyen has definitely shown more soccer ability that Martinez has yet to show ...

AcetheTigah and *rey* repped this.
  6. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That first ever game against the Revs there in July of 2006 is when old' Stuie fired home from top of the box with what seemed his very first touch of his career.
    Miss him at center mid!
    Stuie makes Martinez look like Abe Thompson! HA!

Should be a nice weekend out, high school playoffs are starting this week so the games might overlap on this weekend.

STILL! DALE DYNAMO!!!

7. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Weather forecast for Saturday evening.

At 7 pm CDT:

75F
    59% humidity
    wind 11 mph SSE
    Clear
    2% chance of rain

Temps will fall to around 70 during the game while the humidity will go up after the sun sets. The chance of rain will increase very slightly.

8. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only could he have likely been acquired for (relatively) cheap but he wouldn't even be a DP.

Go fig.

AcetheTigah repped this.
  9. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately the best we’ve gotten from our CAM thus far was in the first game of the year when Boniek was filling in for Martinez.

DonJuego, AcetheTigah and *rey* repped this.
  10. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    So far Nguyen has 0 assists, and he's 31 and has been playing pro 12 years. I also think that anyone who wants him -- assuming NER was ever really interested -- needed to be aware that NER would extract something for their trouble, and then Nguyen would want a new deal at his age.

To me it's got a little bit of Duane Brown minus the kneeling to it. You've got a needy player who wants another big deal despite being at the tail end of his career, and we need a tablesetter, yes, but would it be too short term a solution.

11. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    JC
    you wrong if you think he is past it. You well know basically he hasn’t played any minutes because of the holdout issue.

Please someone show JC the Nyguen stats of his last 4 yrs against us - minutes goals and assists.

12. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Facts don't sway JC so what's the point? He has his narrative and that's that.

*rey* repped this.
  13. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #13 juvechelsea, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    I am aware of the stats from past years.

I do not believe he is per se past it but he is close enough as to not be of long term value, relative to the treasure it would take in trade and then in some redrawn contract, to secure a 31 year old second tier playmaker who hasn't managed a title run with his last club.

I am also aware that opening day we started the oldest lineup in MLS this year, and our other lineups for the subsequent games rank in the top 10-20 oldest as well.

I feel like it would be like going back and basing a team around Brad Davis right around the point when things went south, on purpose. NER got the productive years. You have to know from basic math, history, ageing, that this is right around where players go south.

Lodeiro was 27 when brought in and is still 29. Giovinco was 28 when brought in and is still 31. Those are the type teams we are trying to catch up to, and have a rare DP slot open to chase, and you're suggesting their lesser, older MLS colleague to us instead. No wonder we are where we are.

Maybe we can sign every single 30 year old surplus former stud and turn this into a real Old Man Team.

How do people not understand that the energizing factor on this team is the relative kids they signed. 22 year old Elis. 22 year old Manotas. That is our window at being as good at Seattle and Toronto, is finding diamonds in the rough with few miles on them. If you look at our frustrating defense, that's the older name brands, many MLS, supposed to be dependable, even former league award winners, but basically one year too many, almost the whole lot of them.

To me signing Nguyen at the cost of trade exchange value plus a deal is outweighed by the likelihood that we are ladening ourselves with the midfield equivalent of Beasley or Leonardo, looked great 5 years ago, all-world, but not any more. You can smack talk about how I ignore stats but he hasn't played this year, no goals, no assists, and he is right at the age where stuff falls apart, and you're like, send them our roster tools, and hang our hopes around him.

14. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #14 juvechelsea, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    It is naive to straight line statistics for a 31 year old midfielder. To get him you will have to hand him the whole Torres Savings, and y'all better hope it's all we need to catch the best teams in the league, and that he doesn't break down and we're not right back to Martinez or otherwise where we started.

I am sure people could show me games and minutes like this for Clark right before the wheels came off. 30, 31 years old you have to start factoring in, (a) too much of the team is too old as demonstrated by DC 2-2 and (b) that you may not get the old numbers, and they may fall apart. Djorkaeff had basically one good season and kaput. This is what happens in their 30s. To me it is very short termist which is highly questionable when what is working on this team is young and less known and what is not is what is veteran, older, and "obvious." The part of this team we are struggling to overcome is like former defensive MVP Leonardo and 15 year pro, all star, etc. Beasley. If only we got them at 25 and not 30. Which is my point.

Talk sh*t to me all you want, we are not winning the league title running out a team averaging 29 years old.

I want an absolute international star in here and not some interesting playmaker but who can't make the US team.

15. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klejstan was moved for a pittance and is much better than MVLee. Seeing as he is under contract you have him play that contract this year and earn a bump in 19. And what do you have against veteran players? This isn't FIFA or FM where you can win every trophy in the world with teenagers.

16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Match preview:

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/m...ston-dynamo-vs-new-england-revolution/preview

HOUSTON
    • Suspended: None
    • Suspended after next caution: None
    • International duty: None
    • Injury Report: OUT: D - A.J. DeLaGarza (torn ACL), M - Juan Davis Cabezas (left quad); QUESTIONABLE: D - Philippe Senderos (right hamstring)
    Projected Starting XI
    (4-2-3-1, right to left)
    GK: Chris Seitz — Kevin Garcia, Adolfo Machado, Leonardo, DaMarcus Beasley — Eric Alexander, Darwin Ceren — Alberth Elis, Tomas Martinez, Andrew Wenger — Mauro Manotas

NEW ENGLAND
    • Suspended: None
    • Suspended after next caution: None
    • International duty: None
    • Injury Report: M - Isaac Angking (illness)
    Projected Starting XI
    (4-2-3-1, right to left)
    GK: Matt Turner — Andrew Farrell, Antonio Delamea, Claude Dielna, Gabriel Somi — Scott Caldwell, Wilfried Zahibo — Cristian Penilla, Diego Fagundez, Kelyn Rowe — Teal Bunbury

REFEREES
    Referee: Sorin Stoica
    Assistant Referees: Adam Garner, Jason White
    4th Official: Guido Gonzales Jr
    VAR: Ricardo Salazar

17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the way the Dynamo have spread the actual ticket buyers across the stadium, likely announce about 18,000

18. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Ceren just messed up big time

19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fuenmeyor almost gave it away as well deep.

Is it me ( or the TV crowd mics) or does the stadium seem dead? On TV it sounds like a funeral parlor

20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glenn Davis has spent more time talking about Ibrahamovich trying to sell tickets for the LA game than talking about the Dynamo DPs.

Cindy Burbano gives about as much useful information regarding the game as the Metro cop outside the stadium watching the rail line and hearing the crowd

El Naranja, *rey* and Heft repped this.
  21. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Dynamo are just lacking quality play everywhere on the field. Except maybe Machado. I’m ready to see Quioto.

*rey* repped this.
  22. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #22 Heft, Mar 31, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    They always try to market other team’s good players because they never buy any good players.

23. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think Glenn and Eddie hit the cough button (mute) on their headsets and laugh every time they have Cindy Burbano give non-information updates?

*rey* repped this.
  24. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    She’s getting a lot better at speaking though

25. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston