Houston Dynamo v. FC Dallas, Friday, June 23

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Jun 18, 2017.

?

Result?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2017.
  1. Dynamo win

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Dynamo tie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dynamo lose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Cold beer and a football rivalry on a Friday night!

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    bad game from Stott... had to mug someone to get a foul

Soccergodlss and *rey* repped this.
  2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stott sucks but Cubo flops too much and now isn't getting any calls

3. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Well, a professional referee should look beyond reputation and call fouls where they are... Sanchez getting fish hooked by what-his-faces arm there at the end in a really nice position was an obvious one.

Dynamo_Forever and *rey* repped this.
  4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that was a sneaky play by FCD, but Cubo is flopping at minimal contact and gesticulating for fouls all the time now

5. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    He is floppy but he also is a skilled player who gets fouled... Stotts wasn't calling a foul for pretty much anything less than completely obvious body shots

6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can never defend Kevin stott, but Cubo looks a little too floppy. Game got sloppy at end

7. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    I can't hate. That was a fun game.

8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On tv it was sort of dead and sloppy.

9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The official stadium Twitter has to know this isn't an accurate statement when they look at the turnstile count

nbrooks503 repped this.
  10. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet it didn't hurt Diaz getting calls

11. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    If you're gonna complain about attendance you should probably go yourself..

CeltTexan and MannieG repped this.
  12. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had 11 seasons of counting me as a "ticket distributed", i did my part. the FO drove the proverbial car into a ditch on this one and now has to resort to dumping large blocks of tickets to groups and packages with Manchester exhibition game to manufacture "sell outs". There wer 4 presidents club seats on Flash Seats today at about 50% of face

CeltTexan and TX Bill repped this.
  13. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    If you're not gonna put your butt in the seat don't complain about people not putting butts in seats.

MannieG repped this.
  14. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny I didn't see many tickets available around 6 on flashseats. Everything was selling for $60ish

15. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sold prices listed today were mostly at or slightly below face. There were some good deals available at noon.

Where am I complaining? Just pointing out reality of how the mismanagement of the franchise from the business AND on-field product has reduced the FO to popping champagne corks for one sellout against the "biggest" rival and with 3 weeks in between home games to sell it. Go look back, as recently as 2015 this team AVERAGED 20,658 in announced attendance. Tonight was only the second game this season with a higher crowd announced than that figure

TX Bill repped this.
  16. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    look, i think this was a slugfest between two evenly matched teams - a tie was always going to be the probable result.

They have the stronger defense - we have the most dangerous attack.

both teams played a chess match and the Dynamo gave it everything they had. Can't ask for anything more of the team.

Quioto and Ellis didn't make that one special play we needed. Manotas was ok and Cubo had a good game. However the entire offense was worn out by 65'.

Alex should have come on earlier for Rico and move Boniek outside. Sanchez up top for Cubo but move Manotas in at #9 and Sanchez out wide up top.

Snachez can play #10 but Alex is better so keep Alex there and move Sanchez to winger.

17. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Still think Sanchez is taking a spot for a youngster that the club needs to develop

CeltTexan and El Naranja repped this.
  18. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stadium looked pretty full in the person. But I don't have much to compare to in live.

I do agree that Cubo has a diving reputation for himself. I don't sympathize with people that go down easy so I understand him not getting some of the calls. That said, Stott wasn't calling anything so its not surprising that things got a little feisty in the second half. Cubo had a nice goal and a pretty good game beside the slight mis-touch in the box at the end of the game. I'm still disappointed that we couldn't hold onto the lead for about 10 more minutes to make Dallas push extra numbers forward. Our counter-attack would have really been on then.

AcetheTigah repped this.
  19. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    This is where I disagree with the US game and US referees (and US fans). When a player has position and a defender goes over the top and/or physically displaces the player from behind it's a foul. I would say it's a foul in 95% of the leagues in the world except MLS, Premiership, SPL.

When you refuse to whistle the displacement it gives an advantage to defenders at the expense of the creative players. I've been pleasantly surprised that up to tonight MLS refs are getting better at calling it.

AcetheTigah repped this.
  20. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see the argument and agree with the bold. I just get tired of seeing people fall on the ground to entice a call. I don't want to reward that. Too many refs won't make a foul call on a player unless they go to ground. It punishes the players that do their best to try to stay on their feet and play because they won't get the calls. Refs have to be better at calling those fouls and then players won't feel the need to go to ground so easy.

*rey* repped this.
  21. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Yup, and the counterpoint to that counterpoint is: sometimes a player should go down but instead they fight through the foul then lose possession.

Ive seen NFL fans have the same argument. Do you protect the QB to keep the creative player on the field or do you allow defensive players to tee off and headhunt. A more violent scenario but the same debate.

22. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The others were all in the bathroom

23. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    When he went on I resigned myself to the result. "develop," meh, I'd like to see a sub that has a chance of making an impact. When we get to the playoffs and need a goal "steady" isn't going to matter. Kind of like Kinnear in terms of pushbutton and post-Holden/Cameron rookie seasons having no one identified who can lead a comeback.

To be fair to Cabrera this time we had Alex and Elis to put in since they didn't start. But I don't know if I'd do that in a playoff.

Is Sanchez the first Dynamo player to have a combover?

24. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    You know who's disappeared, is Quioto. That banana shot wasn;t falling in and he's not been the same since the shoulder. Been a lot of discussion of Elis since he's the loan guy but he's been consistently dangerous all season. Quioto is bought and paid for but also hasn't had a G or A since early May.

Soccergodlss repped this.
  25. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Decided it's the speed thing with this defense where people on the wing get open and then we're panicked running backwards because we're slow and chasing the play and so the cut back seems routinely open, and we can't cut off the cutback man fast enough. I get the idea we are sinking or swimming with this roster but in addition to mids we could use a defender who had a little more footspeed at least some nights.