Houston Dash Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by ImaPuppy, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That the Dash offer more isn't a cost structure issue, it's how they spend or invest. The Dash have higher costs because they offer more apparently,not because it costs more for each expense item by unit cost. A higher cost structure usually means "we have to pay 10 people instead of 5 due to old machinery and union contracts" not "we want to pay people more and hire more international workers".

But also, their ability to attract 5,000 per game paid is influenced by the stadium, which would not exist but for the Dynamo investment AND that rental rate cannot possibly cover some allocated portion of debt service on the stadium.

2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a difficult question because of how MLS teams answer the question and what is meant by "profitable" (is it operating income? Net income? Cash flow? Does it include SUM distributions to owners? Stadium revenues?). My guess is 3/4ths of MLS teams can answer these questions either way depending on how it is carved up. MLS has done a good job keeping things vague and opaque in terms of finances but if you look at MLS feasibility studies that they did for Sacramento and the DC stadium you can sleuth some things out.

I'm gonna say Maniacs answer that he posted from the team source was probably "inaccurately accurate" - technically correct but with no way to test underlying assumptions.

Hydro repped this.
  3. Penwyth

Penwyth Member

Mar 10, 1999
    Earth
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very entertaining game yesterday. Hard fought by the women with some late dramatic events.

Field was good and played well.

Fans for both teams were surprisingly vocal and I'd have to say they were leaning toward the Washington Spirit.

So far the NWSL is a PR for women's professional soccer at 4 years now.

4. Penwyth

Penwyth Member

Mar 10, 1999
    Earth
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    P.S.....the NWSL needs a better trophy. The current one is pretty lame.

And give it a name too while you are at it.

*rey* repped this.
  5. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Cup wasnt all that great at first. The new one is uninventive but nice. NWSL will get it right eventually. The key idea is that theyll have time to do so.

As for naming it, that requires some history. That too will come with time, which they seem to have.

6. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    NWSL 2016 Final

Sunday, October 9
    Washington Spirit 2-2 (pks. 2-3) WNY Flash

That is the first league championship for the Flash to go along with their NWSL Shield in the inaugural season.

NWSL trophies
    FC Kansas City - 2 Championships (2014, 2015)
    Portland Thorns - 1 Championship (2013), 1 Shield (2016)
    WNY Flash - 1 Championship (2016), 1 Shield (2013)
    Seattle Reign - 2 Shields (2014, 2015)

7. Penwyth

Penwyth Member

Mar 10, 1999
    Earth
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys like these are my favorite women's soccer fans. Ramp up to DEFCON 1 on some innocuous comment.

809119703356604416 is not a valid tweet id

9. Penwyth

Penwyth Member

Mar 10, 1999
    Earth
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Argle bargle fargle!!!!!

10. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Western New York Flash are moving to North Carolina. It looks like they will be linked to North Carolina FC, the former Carolina RailHawks.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/news/...stern-new-york-north-railhawks?utm_m_medium=t

11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    2017 Dash pre-season schedule:

http://www.houstondynamo.com/post/2017/01/19/houston-dash-announce-preseason-schedule

Times are all CT.

Saturday, March 18
    Dash v. Baylor University, 3:00 pm @HSP

Sunday, March 26
    USWNT U-23 v. Dash, 4:30 pm @Portland, OR

Wednesday, March 29
    Chicago Red Stars v. Dash, 7:00 pm@Portland, OR

Saturday, April 1
    Portland Thorns v. Dash, 9:30 pm @Portland, OR

Thursday, April 6
    Texas A&M v. Dash 8:00 pm @College Station, TX
    8 p.m. CT

The NWSL has not announced the regular season schedule yet but it will probably start in mid-April.

13. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if only there were a juicy transfer fee involved

15. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Dash wouldn't get it anyway. Lloyd plays for the USWNT. She only plays here on breaks.

Speaking of which, how much is Man City paying for her usual two club team appearances?

El Naranja and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  16. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think some of these USWNT players leaving may be surprised at how little anybody cares about going overseas. They treated NWSL like a side job anyways.

17. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the bright side, I have a feeling that I'll be able to make a killing on "Blocked By Carli" buttons, just need to do a little redesign
    [​IMG]

El Naranja and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  18. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Something tells me it was a Houston thing. She didn't want to be here.

There were plenty of other USWNTers that didn't have much difficulty meeting their club commitments. I always got a vibe from her that she thought she was too big for H-town.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  19. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Lloyd is not the only one going. The national team contracts expired on December 31. Alex Morgan is already off to France. I've seen others rumored to be leaving.

20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the "big shots" are leaving as a show of power to the USSF about getting a CBA deal done. I don't think they realize in the years when there's no Olympics or World Cup nobody cares. It's not like they play more than a handful of games in the NWSL anyways with all the US national team stuff they do and vacations they get

21. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Morgan is a different situation. She'll be back in Orlando following the French League season.

*rey* repped this.
  22. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I don't think that's entirely accurate. Not really CBA driven and not particularly NWSL related either. We're at the point in the cycle where they don't need to be here and they are getting good money to leave. Morgan is on $25k per month in France. If Lloyd does indeed sign with Manchester City, recent FA-WSL deals suggest she'd do so at somewhere between $250-300k. Now is their chance to make money before they have to be back when we hit World Cup time. That's in part the driver.

The other part is club situation. It's no secret Lloyd wasn't happy here and that got worse last season. The only surprise if she does leave is that it didn't happen sooner. With Dunn, the situation with the Washington Spirit is a mess and everybody has wanted out.

23. huesocolorado

huesocolorado Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lloyd can go **** herself. After the Man City season, the USWNT will announce a summer tour, then some Fall friendlies, and then her mandatory time off for self-promotion... Are you really a part of a team when you have single-digit appearances?

24. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    http://www.chron.com/sports/dynamo/...Manchester-10934213.php?cmpid=twitter-desktop

We shall see. I think last year's 2 appearances for the Dash would be a good over/under for this year.

huesocolorado repped this.