House Park!

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by rickbendes, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. It's a Christmass miracle.

An Alejo idea might acctually be carried out. :D

2. TexasBarcaFan

TexasBarcaFan Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Isn't Eeyore's Birthday at Pease Park?

If so, then the consumption of alchohol would be nothing compared to what goes on there during Eeyore's Birthday.

Actually, tailgating in the park sounds might fine.

I'll mention all this tomorrow on Futbol En Vivo.

3. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If tailgating with beer isn't an option at the ACC garage, then I agree, Pease Park may be our best option. There's a large picnic area at the end of Pease that is closest to the stadium. It would be ideal. We could then march to the stadium, although a safe route would have to be determined.

One thing that you might want to mention on the show tomorrow (I'm still trying to get a good recording, and have moved to a different tool that doesn't crash when I save the file), is the gathering for the US v. Honduras match on January 23rd. We'll be gathering at Cuatro's, but know Futbol en Vivo crowd have traditionally gathered elsewhere. Is it possible to combine the groups for this match? Thoughts?

4. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just for those not too familiar with the House Park area, here's a map to where Pease Park is in relative to Cuatros and House Park:

[​IMG]

5. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Shoal Creek hike and bike goes under Lamar right there and comes out just south of House Park. It's in the right of this photo.

[​IMG]
    Also, since google street view is fun, here's the picnic area that mgrayscale is talking about.

[​IMG]
    I'm starting to get excited about next season and really wish I knew which league we'll be in.

6. TexasBarcaFan

TexasBarcaFan Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Sorry I was not able to mention Pease Park stuff on the show today. We'll definitely get to it next week.

7. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I keep forgetting to bring my camera. Anyone coming to the US friendly watching event at Cuatros should take a short side-trip to view the progress. The walls are well on their way.

8. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to be by there tomorrow, and will pull off to take some photos.

9. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry for the poor quality, but I only had my phone with me. This is an image looking from the main gates on the south end towards the north end where the construction is happening. That's 15th behind the dressing rooms, Lamar is on the left. It looks like the construction on the outside is progressing . With the schedule potentially out today, and rumors saying the first match may be on April 10th, it'll be tight.

[​IMG]

10. CplDaniel

CplDaniel Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They need to get rid of the grid iron. It's not like they're planning any yankee football games there 'till August or September.

11. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got this question on Twitter as well, and the answer is the same. The gridiron lines are going to stay until we get a SSS. We just have to accept it. I believe all AISD and RRISD stadiums have synthetic grass, which means they have lines built into them. Although I thought earlier last year that putting down our own turf during the season would work, I think I'd rather save on the money and put it towards a SSS fund.

12. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    And my sense is that we need to draw (reliably) considerably more than 3K a game to build a stadium, to say nothing of all the siting and other issues that would entail. I think yard lines are part of the Aztex medium term future.

13. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo.

I've long since given that issue up, and am concentrating my complaining energies on the refs and opposing teams.

14. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only that, I think we should keep them forever. Make them part of our mystique. And have the players come out in rugby kit, just to confuse the other side. It'd be brilliant.

15. -ATX-

-ATX- Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that is a great idea b/c the lines are going to be there and the refs are going to suck.

The lines really don't bother me in person, they are however very distracting to me on tv. So I'll just say it's another reason to be there and see it live.

16. CplDaniel

CplDaniel Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way to look on the bright side. Yet another reason to see the match in person. I agree with you about the TV gridiron. It is such a turn-off when you tune in to a match on television and see it.

17. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not much different than mgrayscale's the other day, but I have a new picture of the House Park construction, too. And a guarantee to post new pictures once a week (or your money back).

[​IMG]
    (From my Flickr set.)

18. Barrovianhordes

Jul 5, 2008
    LEANDER TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dye those lines green for the footy then back to white for the Gridiron, please.

19. CplDaniel

CplDaniel Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you TwoMeters, that's mighty thoughtful of you.

That's exactly what I was thinking. We sneek in late at night, hop that little fence, in and out, job done in a few minutes. Hooliganism to the benefit of society.

20. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just make sure you paint the Gridiron lines green and not the touchlines.

* Austin Aztex-Mississippi Brilla U.S. Open Cup throw-in over the gridiron sideline instead of the touchline flashback *

21. CheeseAndOatcakes

CheeseAndOatcakes New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Haha! I like your thinking!

I know as a player (amateur) I'd be confused with all of those lines!

22. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lmfao, this actually HAPPENED? holy shit!

23. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, if memory serves me correct, it happened 3 times in that match. Same ref, who was 20 yards from from the supporters group who were screaming their lungs out.

24. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, yeah, it happened. It was amazing. I have, in all my soccer watching, never seen anything like it live. A throw-in from 10 yards INSIDE the field of play.

25. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, from the Phil's radio appearance, Nelson isn't letting us go that easily. Maybe it was the rains at the end of last year that slowed things down, but Phil said the field house isn't going to be ready for the start of the season, and we'll get to say a couple last good-byes to Nelson.

...though the guys on 1300 did offer up their intern to help get things moving along on the field house. Which I thought was nice of them.:)