Hotel Recommendations for Columbus

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by McKinney_Burn, Mar 8, 2005.

1. imegu2x

imegu2x New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    NC
    Gas = $60
    Food = $50
    Ticket = $50
    1 night at German Village In = $65
    Watching the USMNT beat the crap out of Mexico live = PRICELESS

2. kylesoccer

kylesoccer New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    25 for food, where's the booze money, that will cost more than the hotel

3. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we need to add bail money to this list? ;)

4. kylesoccer

kylesoccer New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no bail money , just booze. 5 dollars each group and the team of fans is all set. im buying first couple rounds at the GVI. is it really 5 months away.

dammmm it.

5. kylesoccer

kylesoccer New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    arriving at 1pm in columbus. can we make the offical US soccer meetin time at 3pm and then get reading for the game at GVI

6. imegu2x

imegu2x New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    NC
    Sorry, I was trying to make it G rated. ;-)

7. Bigdog

Bigdog New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Gone Fishin'
  8. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just booked mine. The cat I talked to (Chad from India) said they had about 18 rooms left, and still had a choice of smoking/non-smoking and 1 or 2 beds.

He knew right away why I was booking that weekend. Based on how full they are already, he expects the hotel to be almost exclusively "soccer people" that weekend.

9. imegu2x

imegu2x New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    NC
    Sweet! Sounds like we're going to fill the place with "soccer people" and party all night in the area. It would be nice if we could get GVI or Keegan's to get a party bus going to and coming from the game. Maybe the people with some Columbus connections could look into that...

10. Bigdog

Bigdog New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Gone Fishin'
    I hope no one expects to get any SLEEP in this hotel : )

11. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    We're looking in to all options for transportation to and from the tailgate and game.

It's still quite a longs way off, but don't worry...it's being investigated.

12. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't really planning on attending the Columbus match until I witnessed today's Azteca debacle. Now it's game on!

FYI, Orbitz still showed rooms for Saturday night ($57 plus tax) at the Days Inn Fairgrounds on Clara Ave near Crew Stadium. I stayed here last June for the Grenada match. It's not bad at all. Very clean and I felt safe. I don't know if I'd cross East 17th late at night unless I was with some of you guys. If any of you are staying at the Days Inn or the Comfort Suites next door, we need to organize a walk to and from the stadium.

I flew last time, but I think I'll make the 7 hour drive up from TN Saturday morning and drive back Sunday. With the stopovers in Atlanta, Cincinnati, or Memphis, it's almost (but not quite) as fast just to drive.

PS My allergies were terrible when I was in Columbus in June. Something was growing up there that made my eyes close shut. I could barely see. I hope that Ohio in September is better.

13. Stephen1164

Stephen1164 New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny comment about walking back to the Days Inn. I stayed at the Days Inn 2 years ago and My wife, 5 year old son and I walk to and from the Stadium. Nothing happened but didn't seem the safest place to walk at night.

14. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it asking too much at the GVI if we hang Jared Borgetti in effigy from the flagpole on gameday?

15. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fine with me as long as we include Blanco.

16. MelH

MelH Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Kalispell
    Blanco's a tough one.. he keeps flopping around and diving off the pole....

17. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Best Western in the German village is booked. I think I'll be at the Renaissance (nee Adams Mark).

18. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Folks, just so you are aware...

Most hotels that say they are booked this weekend, check to see if they have a room available both Friday and Saturday night. If you are just booking a room for Saturday they'll say they are booked <OSU home game, Labor Day weekend> as they are looking for a full-weekend party.

You can always cancel that Friday night stay 24 hours beforehand and still have the Saturday night booking still available.

19. buckeye5

buckeye5 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Booked one room at the Days Inn. One room at the GVI. GVI was $14 more per night.

(Yes, I know my location is listed as in Columbus. After moving to Columbus six months after the US-Mexico 01 qualifier, I am moving from Columbus (to DC) one weekend before the 05 qualifier. How convenient is that?!)

20. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    I've stayed at the Day's Inn three times in the past (Fire game, College Cup 2003, and USA/JAM 2004) and nothing bad has happened any of those times. I'll be there for this game too.

One word of warning though-- the MCD's won't let you walk through the drive through, even if you're too drunk to drive. But, if Jamal is working there, he will drive you (and your car) through the drive through for you. That was a good 3:00am drunk moment.

21. FKASCSN

FKASCSN Member

Jun 24, 2004
    Madison, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi guys,

I'm trying to decide between the following hotels:
    Best Western Columbus North
    888 E Dublin Granville Rd

and

Country Inn & Suites Columbus North
    1111 Mediterranean Ave

Anyone care to recommend either? Either way I plan to book today.

22. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Either will be okay if you have a rental car. If you are going with taxi's to get you around it's gonna get pretty pricey for you by the end of the weekend.

It is just up the freeway from the stadium a few miles, and you'll be pretty far from the get-togethers the night before downtown. I would try something closer to the stadium but alas, if it's picking between those two then either will be fine.

23. FKASCSN

FKASCSN Member

Jun 24, 2004
    Madison, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks Fid,

I'll likely be driving up on the 2nd so I'm not even sure I'll have the capacity for night before festivities. Maybe I'll make one of my traveling companions drive us downtown? I hear it's about 20 minutes or so from, say, Keegan's?

24. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
  25. imegu2x

imegu2x New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    NC