Hot Take Incoming: how long do you have to wait to declare a team a bad joke?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Nidal Baba Superstar, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Nidal Baba Superstar

Sep 20, 2006
    Far away
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many months ago:

"Hey, did anyone notice that Minnesota United don't seem to be putting in any kind of effort at being an MLS team?"

"Dude. They haven't even played a single game yet. Quit hyperventilating. It's gonna be fine."

"Yeah, but look at Atlanta. Look at what they're up to. I don't really see an equivalent in Minnesota, or even an effort."

"Dude. Quit overreacting. Each market is different. The Twin Cities don't respond to hype - it's more of a slow & steady thing. You'll see. This is a team that drew nine thousand people to Blaine. Blaine Blaine. Blaine. Blainey Blaine Blaine. Nothing to worry about here."

"So you've played two games now and been hammered in both. You can continue to pretend everyone is overreacting, or you can just call a dog a dog."

"Dude. You're freaking out after two games. Two games! This is an expansion team - are you new to sports?"

"But you just got hammered by another expansion team from the same year. The one that tried to be a good MLS team."

"Dude. Relax. Two games!"

Meanwhile, a real-life headline:

Minnesota United left to look for answers after second blowout loss

What? If you took 100 neutral people who follow MLS and asked them in December which team would be more successful, Atlanta or Minnesota, every single one of those crazy overreactors would have told you Atlanta was on the better path. And whaddya know... probably by pure undeserved coincidence, Atlanta are better. 6-1 better. How hard do you really have to look for answers?

I didn't make this thread to be a jerk - I made it because I've fallen into the same trap: OH GOLLY GEE SHUCKS I'M JUST HAPPY TO HAVE A SOCCER TEAM AT ALL! HYUCK! F*ck that. Deal with your reality sooner rather than later. Don't start with the whole GUYS IT'S ONLY BEEN TWO GAMES!!! THINGS WILL TURN AROUND ANY MINUTE NOW!!! You suck for a reason. Atlanta are the control group for this particular experiment. An example of what you could have been. Demand better.

"Dude. It's only been two games! Relax!"

Sure, sure.

2. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, give Onalfo some time.

15 to 32, Gamecock14, Len and 15 others repped this.
  3. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca
    try decaf

4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is my favorite BS post in a long time.

henryo and Unak78 repped this.
  5. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All things considered, correct. Nail. Head. Funny.

Minnesota did have a significant home field advantage and Hotlanta found a way to bag 6 goals in the snow.
    Losing 0-4 to fellow expansion side is a body blow but 1-6 is a knock out.
    Well done Atlanta. Play right thru those elements and just win. Certainly after opening week's letdown.

6. Nidal Baba Superstar

Sep 20, 2006
    Far away
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is analysis of news. Move it back!

7. Nidal Baba Superstar

Sep 20, 2006
    Far away
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how the f*ck am i gonna stay woke on decaf

8. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zygi would have done better!

Unak78 repped this.
  9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Back in 1972, Atlanta was awarded a tandem expansion franchise, and regularly whupped its rookie counterparts, who set a then-league-record for futility and finished with fewer than half Atlanta's points in the standings.

Seven years later the other expansion team won the first of four consecutive league championships. Atlanta later lost its team altogether, and then was awarded and lost a second expansion team. Atlanta no longer fields a team in the league. So, if I were an Atlanta fan, I would be really worried right about now. And I'd be feeling pretty smug as a Minnesota fan.

http://www.nytimes.com/1972/12/18/a...tended-as-they-lose-to-flames-by-40.html?_r=0

henryo repped this.
  10. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria

11. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. It's time that we can all agree that the on field product for the Crew is horrible and change is needed. #firegregg

12. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I rep'd this post, then unrep'd it, just so that I could rep it again.

Gamecock14, JasonMa and song219 repped this.
  13. Absolut Fire

Absolut Fire Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Why is everyone so salty about MN United. I understand if you’re posting in jest about their terrible defense but I have seen way too many post around the league like it’s some offense to have an expansion team this bad. The only people that should feel any bit upset is MN United fans. Btw I am a Chicago Fire fan and MN United season ticket holder so I have seen the highs and truly lows of having an incompetent front office and dire team.

MN United has stated from the beginning what they wanted to do but for some reason that is not good enough for the fans of other teams. DC United, San Jose, MN United all of their owners had to PRIVATELY fund there stadiums. That’s around a $200 million dollar investment + expansion fee if you’re MN United. What do all these teams have in common? The have been relatively conservative in splashing big cash on players. You think it’s because maybe there owners just dumped a crap load of money into the teams to make sure they have a nice place to play they might be holding back a little bit on players? Orlando did privately fund there stadium and spend a lot on Kaka but where has that gotten them in the standings the last two yrs? Seattle and Atlanta both didn’t have to worry about funding their stadiums so they focused on player acquisitions. Maybe it’s because other fans don’t follow whats going on the backend of MLS teams and only focus on what is making the headlines on the soccer field why people are over reacting?

Basically what im is saying don’t listen to the haters MN United fans. MN United owners care about the team so just stop with the nonsense people who don’t live in the Twin Cities. They want to build for the long run and don’t want to blow needless money while they figure out what to do on the field. Until the stadium is built and your ownership skimps like the Fire who didn’t have to pay a dime for their stadium or New England which is basically a tax write off for Kraft and Gillette Stadium, don’t worry and enjoy your teams journey.

14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not everyone.