Hot mess of a media situation

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by chiladd, Sep 18, 2018.

1. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I can't be the only one who has noticed this? Now , the Fire has always had one of the worse media footprints in the league. But the last year or so it has festered into some serious hot garbage.

And I'm not simply talking about the ESPN+ deal or lack of radio . The so called "press" that covers the Fire is downright awful. Guillermo seems to be the only "beat guy" left that covers the team as his job. And he is -one of- if not the weakest cover guys in the league .

Don't get me wrong , he's a good guy , and decent journalist ,and he does break some stories (occasionally). But he's not anywhere near top tier. If he was the 2nd or 3rd guy you'd check for breaking news he would be doing a great job. I think alot of it with him is the front office ham fisting info. He gets enough and doesn't push for more as he knows they'll just cut the taps.

The blogs....
    Hot time seems to really only be the consistent one out there. And man... Has it turned into a dumpster fire. It's kinda wierd , it's almost like a reflection of the front office in awfulness. Ive pretty much quit reading it (from checking everyday). But occasionally -like burger king- you forget how bad it is and take a taste .

I don't know what is going on over there, but it's almost like the writers don't understand or even like soccer. I just read a recap of the Orlando game and it was like reading a bunch of tweekers interpreting what they thought was going on. My brain hurts now...

As I said , the Fire have always suffered from the big media ignoring them. So it's not all front office culpability. But they do have tons of fault at creating an environment where alot of good people don't want to waste their time by blogging etc...

What a hot ********ing mess

2. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nothing is going to change until they stop taking PR lessons from North Korea. So I'll ask, why care?.....because the FO certainly doesn't.

3. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    There is one other beat guy, I guess that’s the right name for it, but it’s Danny Santaromina (I always forget how to spell his last name). He’s with prosoccerusa.com.

Also, there’s the Spitting Fire podcast, but that’s a podcast, not a site. I’m looking into trying to find a place to write next season so if I do I’ll let you guys know.

moleman, GHjelm, Fanaddict and 1 other person repped this.
  4. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I agree , I don't know why I care as I shouldn't . But it's kind of funny how the best info and analysis seems to come from bigsoccer. And this place is pale pale comparison to what it was.

5. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

Here's an in-depth and unbiased look at our beloved team:

https://beyond90minutes.com

Unfortunately, he hasn't published a recent article about their latest exploits.

6. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We used to have a lot more blogs that would post every day. Now I'm down to just a few to use on the news thread. If anyone else knows of any that post regularly let me know.

bunge, xtomx and chiladd repped this.
  7. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Part of the issue is (like the original post in this thread) if any of those blog writers criticize the club ( which is what sports writers do) they get banned from having credentials and the information is cut off. Guillermo has been doing it and knows the game so yeah, he has to walk on eggshells. It's ridiculous. Capitulate or walk. Most have chosen to walk as far as I can figure.

8. moleman

moleman Member

Jan 7, 2017
    It’s easier to own the conversation if there is no conversation.

Jiggly_333, Chris M., loonixxx and 2 others repped this.
  9. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Easier AND cheaper (ALWAYS appealing to Andrew Hauptman)!

loonixxx, wolvesfirehope and bunge repped this.
  10. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red Stars own more of the soccer conversation than does the FIRE.....Maybe the FIRE will own the soccer conversation after the season is over. Andrew Hauptman sells his 51% stake in the team to Mr. Ricketts (Ricketts is just a sample).

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  11. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    [​IMG]

Mime is money.

12. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Mimes?!? :confused:
    Mimes?!?

Where is the negative rep button when you need it? :mad::eek:

Mimes take the worst parts of clowns (which is pretty much everything, of course) and then make them creepier.

At least with clowns, as soon as they open their mouths, you know they are disturbing, menacing, disgusting creatures.

With mimes, they have that look, but shut up and simply act creepy, so you just never know what is going on with them.
    However, you KNOW it is not good.

I should report this post as being abusing beyond all rationality. ;)

13. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Morty the Mime is a classic character from This is Spinal Tap. Here are some outtakes that didn't make it into the movie.

loonixxx repped this.
  14. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes, Billy Crystal and Mimes.
    Truly the stuff of nightmares.

15. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    As far as I can tell, BOTH Clowns and mimes are serial killers but clowns are just more disorganized impulsive psychopaths with psycho social personality disorder that manifests in aggressive, amoral, antisocial violent unpredictable behavior and there's no particular reason for their kills other than opportunity and random circumstance. Where as a mime...a God damned mime is a high IQ sociopathic loner who appears in control while sectretly meticulously stalking, plotting, planning and springing his trap on his unsuspecting victims while appearing to blend into society rather well. Unlike the clown who will leave a bloody evidence trail and go on the lam on a multi-state killing spree, a mime is gonna clean up the evidence and cover his tracks and be hiding in plain sight. EVIL!

GHjelm, Jiggly_333 and xtomx repped this.
  16. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Absolutely.

However, as for "clean up the evidence," f*cking mimes cannot even get out of invisible boxes.
    No way in hell they could clean up a crime scene.

bunge repped this.
  17. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's EXACTLY what they want you to think!!!! Cunning!
    [​IMG]

xtomx repped this.
  18. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    An awesome plant.
    One of four primary groups of carnivorous plants, along with sundew (which have "tentacles" that wrap around its prey), bladderworts and pitcher plants. They then secrete a digestive enzyme that dissolves the prey and the plant absorbs the nutrients. Ingenious! (I was in the plant business for years, prior to going back to school)

I wonder how many venus fly traps are left in the wild after this past week.

For those of you who do not know, and why would anyone need to know this , the venus fly trap is only native to certain wetlands and bogs in North and South Carolina.

If only there were venus fly traps largest enough to capture and dissolve mimes (and Trump), the world would be a better place.

Pennsylvania Dave and bunge repped this.
  19. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    You've never seen Little Shop of Horrors.

[​IMG]

20. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yep