Hong Kong Football Thread II (R)

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Angsa, Oct 4, 2016.

1. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Can't believe it took almost 5 months for the HK national team and Mixu Paatalainen to achieve their first win and it is great to see James Ha and Roberto Affonso Junior getting their first international goals.

I really hope Mixu Paatalainen really takes a good look at the next couple of HKPL games and see which in-form players deserve to be on his list for the upcoming East Asia Cup 2019 finals next month which will be a lot more tougher than what they had achieved against Cambodia.

2. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

Jaimes McKee received a sending off in the Cambodia match from HKFA. I appreciate very much his work rate every time he played for Hong Kong. Of course his technique was not really up to standard, but if he had the technique he probably would have played else where.

Just wonder if Chan Siu-Ki would receive a similar treatment from HKFA? I guess Chan will not be picked again... but then he hasn't announced his retirement yet.

3. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    For the HK striker debate, I don't really see an answer. I wish Giovane, Jordi Tarres and Christian Annan were 15 years younger...

I think Mixu still prefer one lone striker up front with two "wingers" supporting him. Mixu's strategy puts huge demands on the work loads of the two wingers. Maybe that is why James Ha complaint about tiring (away to Cambodia) and Giovane also suffered.

I think the midfield and defenders often drop too far back, leaving the attacking players with very few options and therefore lose possession. I really dislike the way one of the Cambodian players was able to shoot freely from about 25 yards. Japan or Korea would have scored.

Mixu needs to encourage his midfielders and defenders to press higher up the field to put more pressure on the opposition's midfielders. If we continue to play like that against Korea or Japan we will have no chance. They will just go down the flanks or deliver fast through balls and score from these.

dez112 repped this.
  4. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    The wingers essentially have to play as a winger, then a midfielder and often times tracking back to defend as a full back. That is extremely exhausting; Giovane is a 36 year old hold up player... he was doomed to fail.

Problem is Ha can't play winger either. Alex is actually OK, and surprisingly Roberto played very well as a box-to-box midfielder.

I agree that the midfielders and full backs need to press higher to lessen the pressure on the wingers. I also believe Dani needs to come off the bench... he was often targeted by Cambodia, and while he survived, I assure you China / Japan / Korea will eat him alive.

5. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Instinct. He knows where to be at the right time.

His finishing is better than you're giving him credit for I think. He's scored some cheeky goals for Tai Po and Kitchee over the years.

6. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    Yeah, I agree about instinct - but when you're always playing as an underdog (e.g. needing all 11 guys to defend and press for the ball), Sandro's style doesn't work. His skills shine when he is in a strong, or at least equal, team, which the HKNT is not.

Similarly, it is why McKee shines so well for the HKNT... the nonstop hustle on both ends of the court is what the HKNT needs and gets from him.

7. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    On Sandro, he has been in good goal scoring form for Tai Po which was why I assume he has been picked several times for Hong Kong.

Alex's lack of match fitness pretty much showed during the Cambodia match and he really needs to consider finding first team football elsewhere if he is not getting any action with Dalian Yifeng, either going out on loan to a lower division team in China or perhaps a return to a HKPL club in order to regain his form.

I've recently tuned in to the recent Hong Kong Football Podcast (Offside.hk) and there was one particular question that was asked from a twitter user which is

"Have the HK side come forward under Paatelainen or is aiming to scrap a tight 1-0 or 0-0 result showing lack of ambition?"

What do you guys think of this question?

In addition its great to see Jaimes Anthony McKee being honoured as he really contributed quite a lot for the Hong Kong National Football Team and I really do hope that the HKFA will also honour Chan Siu-Ki some point in the future if he does retire as he is currently the top goal scorer and has made a lot of contribution for the Hong Kong National Football Team in the past.

8. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    These are good arguments for why Giovane shouldn't be a starter IMO because everything you just said, applies to him more so than Sandro.

9. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Full Time: HKPL - KC Southern Vs R&F HK - 3:4

A total of seven goals was scored during the match. R&F's Sean Tse gave the team an early lead with a simple header into the back of the net.

KC Southern equalised through Nikola Komazec going before the end of the first half. KC Southern took the lead through Lau Ho-Lam before Kota Kawase appeared to foul Igor Sartori in the penalty area where Sartori once again equalised.

KC Southern once again found the lead with a superb strike from Hui Wang-Fung and in the later stages of the second half, goals from Leung Nok-Hang and Giovane da Silva Alves gave R&F the full three points.

10. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Full time: HKPL Kitchee 3:1 Eastern Longlions

Finally a win for Kitchee, some more against their biggest rival Eastern, ending their 3 months winless streak.

11. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Full Time: HKPL - Wofoo Tai Po FC Vs BC Rangers - 3:2

Goals from Sun Ming-Him (which rebounded from Chan Man Fai's cross), Michael Luk and Kim Minki were enough to seal the full three points despite having several players injured from Sandro, Dudu, Michel Lugo (who was substituted early in the first half) and Toby Down.

It was also a much needed win for Kitchee and coach Blas Silszkovic who finally ended their winless streak by beating Eastern Long Lions.

12. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Highlights: Kitchee 3:1 Eastern Longlions

13. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Here are the highlights of Wofoo Tai Po Vs BC Rangers:

14. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

Hong Kong NT preliminary squad for the 2019 EAFF E1 football c'ship. I don't see any real surprises in there.

15. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    • Sandro not included due to injury
    • Lee Ka Ho is in my opinion a surprise inclusion... a player best known for being charged by the ICAC with match fixing
    • Hope Leung continues to start over Helio - he played very well the past 2 matches
    • Mixu seems to have found the pool of 25-30 players he enjoys using and will not deviate from them; it includes a good mix of ages and is arguably the most talented already

16. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    HKPL

FT: Hong Kong Pegasus 2:1 Best Union Yuen Long

First win for Hong Kong Pegasus this season and they are now 7th. Best Union Yuen Long is still winless and is bottom of the league table.

17. dez112

dez112 Member

Manchester United
    Feb 24, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My thoughts on Mixu's preliminary squad list:
    • Whilst I can understand that Sandro is ruled out due to injury, I still do not feel that Alex Akande should be in the list at all due to his lack of match fitness and his lack of appearances for Dalian Yifeng.
    • Lee Ka Ho earns his first international call-up whilst Kitchee's Cheng Chin Lung earns a recall.
    • I'm just hoping that they will keep Tsui Wang Kit, Leung Nok Hang, Andy Russell and Dani Cancela as the back four.
    • Personally, I would've added KC Southern's Hui Wang Fung to the list.

18. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    Regarding Alex... I think the question becomes, who would be the alternative? Possessing the speed, hold up strength, natural ability and size on the front line... probably the same reason why he didn't drop Giovane as well.

19. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Talking about Alex's replacement, I just remembered Godfred Karikari, who has been without a club since June. I think a few of the local clubs might be interested to take him on right now at a lower salary point. He does not occupy a foreigner's place, has plenty of experience and is still only 34.

20. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    I thought of that too, as I saw him on the HKNT Wiki page. Always wondered why no one picked him up. But to be honest, Alex at his best is better than Godfred at his best.

Is Chan Siu Ki worth giving a spot to currently? I'm sure his potential contributions would be higher than Chan Kwong Ho or Sun Ming Him?

21. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Footy Rankings predict Chao Pak Kei of Macau will face off with Kitchee in the AFC Cup qualifier. It will be an interesting match up.

22. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Without knowing any specific details, there's probably good reason why guys like Karikari and Mahama Awal are unattached. Karikari hasn't played even played regular minutes since mid 2017. As far as I'm concerned, he's finished.

23. Suburbia

Suburbia Member

Manchester United
    Hong Kong
    Nov 15, 2017
    Pretty disappointed with Awal, I had thought he would have been a good target for naturalizing into the HKNT...

24. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    HKPL:

Kitchee 0:0 R&F FC
    Lee Man 4:1 Wofoo Tai Po
    Hong Kong Pegasus 0:1 Eastern Longlions

25. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

Final squad announced for the EAFF E1 C'ship. Andy Russell is dropped. Somehow Mixu picked Sandro, who was not on the initial list, and dropped Alex Akande. There is also no room for Dani Cancela.